Alt-J - Forgive me, but....

McCor

Am I the only person who doesn't really "get" this band? I have been listening to some of their stuff, and I'm just not lifted by it at all? A couple of the obvious singles are OK, but I found the rest a bit flat.

I'm hoping they will be one of those bands that I'll "hear" differently after seeing them live. I generally find this to be the case!

Any particular tracks I should listen to a bit more?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mate and myself were having the same conversation the other week.

We presume they will get a high spot so they will do at least an hour and we are not sure we could just stand and watch it , you can't really have a dance or even move your body to the tracks so its going to be a bit static for us.

Funny but I struggled to get into Wild Beasts who are not everyone's cup of tea at first but I now adore them but I am struggling with Alt-J.

The line up is a bit lacking for me this year so we will probably go and watch em so I guess we should report back after their set

Apparently they apologised after their appearance on th eother stage last year becuase everyone looked so bored.

I was only there as we were heading up to Dino Jnr and the guy I was with was having a lengthy long-drop based trauma, but they seemed to be dying on their holes. No shortage of people scarpering the scene of the crime..

This thread needs some balance.

I like both albums and actually enjoyed their Other Stage spot in 2013 - although they were in the middle of an excellent run which included Tame Impala, Foals and Portishead so that helped.

I don't think they're going to nail 3rd down Pyramid Sunday though - they just don't seem to fit that sort of spot musically and I can see it being full of people not really paying any attention.

If you don't like what you've heard so far though, then it's never going to click for you so why bother pushing it? Go and see something else - there's plenty on offer!

I really wasn't keen on these guys when I first heart their stuff, but they have definitely grown on me over the past year.

I'm yet to see them live, but performances I've seen online have been VERY hit or miss. Often I feel as though their sound comes across way too thin, almost like they need to turn everything up a bit and add an extra guitarist. I'm worried this will problem will be magnified tenfold on the Pyramid stage. If they sort out that sound issue and perform with a bit extra gusto then I'm sure their set will be a lot of fun.

Due to how popular they appear to be I thought it was just me who just didn't get them. I have really tried but there is nothing I can honestly say that can make me appreciate what they do musically. What I found bizzare was all the confident talk on here a few months ago saying they were Pyramid sub or Other headliners. I did think to myself at the time that maybe I have finally got to that point where I am completely out of touch with what is popular these days.

This thread needs some balance.

I like both albums and actually enjoyed their Other Stage spot in 2013 - although they were in the middle of an excellent run which included Tame Impala, Foals and Portishead so that helped.

I don't think they're going to nail 3rd down Pyramid Sunday though - they just don't seem to fit that sort of spot musically and I can see it being full of people not really paying any attention.

If you don't like what you've heard so far though, then it's never going to click for you so why bother pushing it? Go and see something else - there's plenty on offer!

im sure you make a valid point, unfortunately i cant read your post