Future headliners

stevieg1993

Agree on Bon Jovi, thought it would’ve happened by now tbh.

Bon Jovi - Staple AEG act, can't see it happening.

Ozzy Osbourne (Will happen in the next few years before he retires) - Can see Sabbath rocking up if the farewell tour happens. Ozzy solo would be weak now imo

Van Halen - Surely one day it will happen

Biffy Clyro - Don't think so after last time

Green Day - The way they've gone lately I don't see it. Probably too much money in their own shows for it.

Eminem - The fees going around when he's done festivals lately but him way out of budget for DL, especially when he grossed £10M in a weekend at wembley

Pearl Jam (Dream headliner but don’t think they’ll ever do it tbh) - Would be great, LN did their big MK show and Andy seems to be close to them from his Twitter comments.

Foo Fighters (again, don’t think they’ll ever play) -Too much money elsewhere

Blink 182 - Possible with Skiba. Don't see them taking top slots at R/L again unless they do an album that goes down well, think their stock will naturally fall a bit without the proper lineup which might point them more to Download

Paramore - They could do if they try to shake the festival up and get some new punters through the door. They're supposed to be cheap as chips. I think their stock has fallen quite a bit and them c0-headlining R/L was odd when they struggled to shift tickets for a lot of their arena gigs. They're cheap apparently.

1 new headliner per year? That takes us nicely into 2025 without the inevitable classis GnR & Pantera reunions.

Just my own personal thoughts on that lot!

• 2 weeks later...

Foo's would do it. I fully expect they will within 5 years. They were verbally booked this year but then the chance to do Glasto came up so they opted to go for that instead, so I think they'll come back to do it, they've made a lot of cash and they know they can make more.

Regarding some of the other acts I think people underestimate how much money Download are able to throw at headliners, you don't book AC/DC with peanuts. 

Eminem is totally on Coppings radar as well, which is just bizarre when he will rule out so many other acts like Manics who would be a great second stage headliner IMO and Pixies, but he'd book Eminem.... 

They could easily afford Eminem as well.  Maybe he is a headliner they would go for in a 4 day set up, to soften the blow to the metal heads.

They could afford him but I think the issue would be down to value for money. Look at Muse this year a band much more within Download's target audience who can easily sell out Reading or Leeds but at the end of the day didnt really pull in as many to Download this year.

ACDC might cost just as much, maybe even slightly more than Eminem but they'll sell Download out. I doubt Eminem would have the same effect, there's probably smaller and cheaper rock headliners, repeats or not, who would shift as many DL tickets as Eminem would. Spending millions on a headliner where you'd even need to suggesting extra day and 3 other headliners (most of which are probably cheape!) sends out a signal it wouldnt make much business sense.

Agree on Foos and your point about Manics and Pixies though!

And I'm going to chuck Volbeat into the mix too. Along with possibly Halestorm in 5 years or so if they get the break they need.

I don't see Volbeat ever being big enough, I like them, and I understand why others do. But they are a bit one-trick aren't they. The tracks all sound very similar, and as has been said, they were a bit of a damp squib last year on main. I think they will remain a mid afternoon band for quite some time.

I always enjoy Volbeat live although their records are as you say, a bit samey. They are massive in Europe though and headline festivals in their own right already. Personally i'd rather see them go up the order rather than the scene screamers like BMTH or ADTR but I have come to realise in my old age that my tastes are a bit different to the unwashed masses :)

I always enjoy Volbeat live although their records are as you say, a bit samey. They are massive in Europe though and headline festivals in their own right already. Personally i'd rather see them go up the order rather than the scene screamers like BMTH or ADTR but I have come to realise in my old age that my tastes are a bit different to the unwashed masses :)

I'm surprised at you not liking BMTH fella, I think I'm a bit older than you? and I love them. Have you ever given them a fair crack of the whip? Listen with an open mind and give them a chance, i think you might be surprised? I would start with "there is a hell"

Edited by t8yman

I'm surprised at you not liking BMTH fella, I think I'm a bit older than you? and I love them. Have you ever given them a fair crack of the whip? Listen with an open mind and give them a chance, i think you might be surprised? I would start with "there is a hell"

It's their little gobshite frontman I can't stand.

This rules them out how?

I can't see Foo Fighters doing Glastonbury and Download within a 2 week period. I see Foos as I see Brock Lesner, you don't book  them all the time, but when you do it's gonna be special. Now if Foos were at both festivals, it wouldn't be as special.

If you are older you are wearing really well, I'm chalking up a half century this year, and I shall be celebrating by going to more further flung festivals :) To be fair I haven't given BMTH much chance. I chalked them down as inappropriate screaming or YM@6 copies depending on what track they are playing. I watched a few of their songs last year (I think, was quite high main) and it sounded shite but then again it was from a distance and I was focussed on food. I shall put "there is a hell" on my phone for listening to in the van and give them a chance, just cos it's you. I'll let you know.

If you are older you are wearing really well, I'm chalking up a half century this year, and I shall be celebrating by going to more further flung festivals :) To be fair I haven't given BMTH much chance. I chalked them down as inappropriate screaming or YM@6 copies depending on what track they are playing. I watched a few of their songs last year (I think, was quite high main) and it sounded shite but then again it was from a distance and I was focussed on food. I shall put "there is a hell" on my phone for listening to in the van and give them a chance, just cos it's you. I'll let you know.

Jesus I didnt have you down as being that ancient fella. must be your healthy lifestyle!

It's their little gobshite frontman I can't stand.

I felt the same when I read about all of the stuff that was reported about him with regard to pissing on some girl, or being an obnoxious prick, but I put that down to youth tbh, we all grow up. I dont know if he is still a prick or not, the few interviews I have seen of him he seems to be fairly on the level. But I do genuinely see them as the next big thing to come from our shores. The new breed of headliners will definitely include them.

I can't see Foo Fighters doing Glastonbury and Download within a 2 week period. I see Foos as I see Brock Lesner, you don't book  them all the time, but when you do it's gonna be special. Now if Foos were at both festivals, it wouldn't be as special.

Metallica did Glastonbury and Soni last year. In 2011 Foos did T, IOW and Milton Keynes. Them doing a rescheduled Glastonbury means nothing at all IMO, if they are indeed doing Glastonbury.

Metallica did Glastonbury and Soni last year. In 2011 Foos did T, IOW and Milton Keynes. Them doing a rescheduled Glastonbury means nothing at all IMO, if they are indeed doing Glastonbury.

Given that they pulled Download this year in order to do Glasto, I can't see them doing both, unless they promised Andy they would play 2016 and now they end up doing both due to this?

Given that they pulled Download this year in order to do Glasto, I can't see them doing both, unless they promised Andy they would play 2016 and now they end up doing both due to this?

Nah, Glasto and R&L for Foo's. It says a lot about Foo's IMO when apparently they have always chose the money (this particular circumstance in question being R&L over Glasto when asked, Neil's story I believe?), but they chose Glasto money over Download.