Oldies

mott the hoople

There's plenty older than me and thee. I'm pushing 62 come festival time. I didn't start going until 2003 - God knows why. I feel I wasted many halcyon years. Glasto not personally, although perhaps a bit of both!

There isn't, and shouldn't be, an age limit. Go for as long as you enjoy it.

I'm only 33 and I'm entering "semi-retirement" after this one. Done at least one major festival every year since I was 17, so pretty much half my life and fancy a break from it all after this year. Planning to go to the Euros next year, 17 is fallow and I'll see how much I miss it when the 2018 tickets go on sale.

Places like Avalon and Acoustic are pretty much there to cater for the over 40’s. The idea that it’s for young-uns always seems daft to me.

I remember giving 2 old dears a hand in 2013 from Dairy Ground when they were struggling with their gear. They looked like 2 stereotypical old grannies, totally out of place. They were on their way to Pennards. When I suggested it might be a bit loud for them they retorted saying they’ve camped there the last ten years and never had any trouble :O

what do you folks think about older people going to the festival, I have been going forever and just wondered is there a time to stop? I'm 57 BTW.

I think it's brilliant and I hope to still be going at your age and well beyond.

I've had many a fascinating conversation and some memorable sessions with folks much older than me at festivals.

Keep it going!

what do you folks think about older people going to the festival, I have been going forever and just wondered is there a time to stop? I'm 57 BTW.

I'm 53 and I don't consider myself " old" as such ( despite my Avatar :) ) . I reckon I've a few years yet before I pack it in, I was thinking of reconsidering after the next fallow year, but will probably still try for tickets, I still get a real buzz in the expectancy of everything now it's so near, almost to the extent of it becoming anxiety! What I do know however is that I can't go at it anywhere near as much as I could, age is catching up in certain ways ( stop it!, That's not what I mean :) ). I certainly can't take as much liquid on board as I used to.

I'll be going as long as the festival is on and as long as my body holds up to the strains of it. I cant wait to go when Im older tbh.

There def shouldn't be an age limit. On my honeymoon in 2010 I got camped next to a local old boy who'd been to every festival, he had some great stories to tell first thing in a morning.

Some of my favourite random conversations have been with the older generation, especially the grumpy guy I met during Kenny Rogers in 2013, he was that old school he didn't have a timetable and his legs needed a rest as he was passing across the pyramid field and his own words "I sat down pal for a rest and then this silly old c**t walked on stage, if I could get up and walk away I would", then I had a chat with him and his wife about the merits of drum and base.

Took my mum there in 2010 {Great weather} as a surprise, she was 76yrs old, and always wanted to go, she use to watch it on the television every year, and use to say " how great it looked" we hired a camper van for her comfort, she loved it, she walked around at her own pace and went back to camper van when she had enough. But I will never forget the look on her face when she got there "true memory" even jigging about to the music it was like a new energy of life. So age got nothing to do with it your as young as you feel. ROLL ON THE SPIRIT OF GLASTONBURY.

First went when I was 23,the diversity of age was one of the things that I loved about the place,I'm 45 now and have no intention of hanging up my wellies any time soon. Took my two older sisters last year and they are in their late fifties and loved it,it was their first festival, although they are not going this year they are now going to another festival of their own back,I might tag along. :-)

Edited by Thearg

I'm not thinking of giving up just wondered what the consensus was regarding older festival goers. The festival is better now than it was back in the day, I know some people say it's lost its edge but since the fence went up it feels much safer than it did. Some years leaving stages after a band finished was a scary affair. Only thing I miss is being able to camp on the wicket ground (our regular pitch for many years)

As others have said the diversity of the age groups is what makes the atmosphere so good. As long as the oldies are enjoying it keep on coming. I remember walking past a group camped right by the path on Oxlyers, it looked like it had been their spot for years and they must have been queuing over night to get that spot. Sat round the table playing cards drinking wine they looked like they were having the time of my lives. I cant be bothered to queue overnight now in my early 30's to get a camping spot so fair play to them.

Plus the older generation have much more entertaining stories. I think this year will be my last for a while (although I said that last year) but I certainly hope I can still enjoy it when I am in my 50's/60's.

I'll keep going as long as I can keep up. This is the first year since I started having old man health problems that I've gone without assistance, if I can get there and back without hospitalising myself I reckon I have a few more years in me.

Listening to acts on the lineup I'd not checked out before today and I realise that there is not enough time in the day for all the music I want to hear.

SO great to hear all of these stories. I'm going this year for the first time at 25. My Dad (47- young parents) is pretty gutted about me seeing The Who. I'm trying to talk him into coming next year but hes claiming he is "too old" to go.

My Mum seems very concerned about where I am plugging in my hairdryer and straighteners and keeps offering me their old double air bed/portable toilet/8 man tent/ gas BBQ - I'm getting the coach on my own and meeting friends there.

I'm not so so sure it's for her

I remember giving 2 old dears a hand in 2013 from Dairy Ground when they were struggling with their gear. They looked like 2 stereotypical old grannies, totally out of place. They were on their way to Pennards. When I suggested it might be a bit loud for them they retorted saying they’ve camped there the last ten years and never had any trouble :O

I met a couple of older ladies (prob early 60s) at the back of the Stones - they were having a cracking time having left their husbands at home! They queued overnight on Tuesday so they could get into Pennards!

Legends - I hope that's me one day...

Took my mum there in 2010 {Great weather} as a surprise, she was 76yrs old, and always wanted to go, she use to watch it on the television every year, and use to say " how great it looked" we hired a camper van for her comfort, she loved it, she walked around at her own pace and went back to camper van when she had enough. But I will never forget the look on her face when she got there "true memory" even jigging about to the music it was like a new energy of life. So age got nothing to do with it your as young as you feel. ROLL ON THE SPIRIT OF GLASTONBURY.

Brilliant story mate!