Best route for Campervan East

Derby_Dave

Hi,

Was just wondering what the best way in for CVE? We will be coming M5 south and normally come off at J23 I think through Street and Glastonbury. As this is the first caravan Glastonbury we are not sure if this is the best way.

Any advice or knowledge please?

I normally come in from the Leeds>Bath>Frome direction (since we used to meet a mate there driving up from the South), and then pick up the purple(?) direction signs nearer the site. The roads are wide enough to cater for caravans. I've no experience to compare to the route you normally take though.

Good point incident, my route is early afternoon on Wednesday.

Edited by carlosj

Will be late morning to lunch time Tuesday I would have thought.

Without the caravan we comes off at Weston super mare and come through Cheddar etc but don't fancy that route with caravan to be honest. Was thinking more of which end of the site we would be approaching. I guess we will be far enough away anyway to follow any diversions etc.

I always go through the middle of Bristol (M5, M4, M32 into Bristol) then come out following the A37 Wells Road. Never any problems.

Incidentally, didn't we meet at The Headstocks Festival at Newstead/Annesley a few years ago? :D

Edited by Pear_Cider

How about if coming from the North? Usually head for Weet car parks in all the years that we have gone but it's also our first time in a campervan and have tickets for the East campervan fields.

We travel from York and have always gone into the west car parks, until last year when we were travelling to CVE. I don't know what possessed us to go M1/M25/whatever the road is that heads west, but we did, and it took a ridiculous amount of time. So I don't recommend that way. I think I'll crack open the road map later today and plan a route.

We travel from York and have always gone into the west car parks, until last year when we were travelling to CVE. I don't know what possessed us to go M1/M25/whatever the road is that heads west, but we did, and it took a ridiculous amount of time. So I don't recommend that way. I think I'll crack open the road map later today and plan a route.

We travel down from Leeds, pass Sheffield and head on to skirt Birmingham, towards the M4 and skirt Bath to Frome and come in from that side.

Hi,

first time camper van trip and first time approaching Glastonbury from the south.

we are staying in Ilminster on the Tuesday night then trip up on the Wednesday morning....route coming up on google maps is A303 then A37 for getting to the postcode BA4 4LY that they list on glasto website.

is this best route?, how long should we factor in for driving time if leaving at 9am / 10am? and any suggestions on this route for a meeting up spot (a tescos carpark or petrol station /little chef etc) so we can convoy together & get parked up with other our mates in another camper coming from Midlands direction).

any hints and tips would be much appreciated.

cheers

Hi,

first time camper van trip and first time approaching Glastonbury from the south.

we are staying in Ilminster on the Tuesday night then trip up on the Wednesday morning....route coming up on google maps is A303 then A37 for getting to the postcode BA4 4LY that they list on glasto website.

is this best route?, how long should we factor in for driving time if leaving at 9am / 10am? and any suggestions on this route for a meeting up spot (a tescos carpark or petrol station /little chef etc) so we can convoy together & get parked up with other our mates in another camper coming from Midlands direction).

any hints and tips would be much appreciated.

cheers

Normally takes about 35 - 40 minutes from Ilminster, so that's how long it will take to get to the vicinity but after that it will depend on traffic. You should just go up the A37 then turn onto the A361, the traffic will be worse from the other direction (west of the site). Don't bother trying shortcuts to approach from the South of the site as the lanes are blocked off and you need a village pass to get through.

Did something similar last year after years of parking west in the car and now taking a caravan to CVE

Coming from the north/m5 to meet friends coming from London way to convoy in, we took the M5/M4/A46/A36 way skirting Bath to meet friends at the Asda just off the A361 at Frome (BA11 5LA). That way was ok, bit of traffic near Bath at lunchtime Tuesday but nothing too bad and found the roads OK towing even though it was the first time I'd towed for any great length of time!

One thing to keep in mind coming out on the Monday is that it'll probably be right only out onto the A37 Southbound at Pylle exiting the blue route which means you'll have to turn round to get North. We drove as far as the Queen's arms at Wraxall (BA4 6RJ) then turned round in their car park which was roomy enough then headed back north up the A37

Another thing to keep in mind is going home we followed the signposted festival route up the A37 which was a complete pain in the arse on the Monday as loads of other site traffic joined so it was very slow, I'll be heading back up the A361/ Bath route that I came in on as that will hopefully be quieter.

Hope this helps other CVE folks!

Edited by wosman

One thing to keep in mind coming out on the Monday is that it'll probably be right only out onto the A37 Southbound at Pylle exiting the blue route which means you'll have to turn round to get North. We drove as far as the Queen's arms at Wraxall (BA4 6RJ) then turned round in their car park which was roomy enough then headed back north up the A37

That's exactly where we turn round, don't know why they make you turn right.

• 3 weeks later...

Been thinking about this, is it really just as simple as turning round then going back past the entrance you turned right out of, back along the A37?

Been thinking about this, is it really just as simple as turning round then going back past the entrance you turned right out of, back along the A37?

yes

We have always done M5, M4, M32, then through Bristol onto A37 no problems except for the nightmare that was 2009.

If you're heading from anywhere North of Bristol - this is blatantly the best route... forget the Bath route unless you need to visit Bath...

I live on the A37, much better for me if you go via Bath / Frome but trust me it's MILES longer, just sayin :beach:

I have to do something different going home this year. My son is working on Thursday but he's swung it so that he can work at their shop in Glastonbury town on Thursday morning. He plans to leave his car at the store and get a lift to site on Thursday afternoon, but when we leave on Monday I need to turn around on the A37 to go back north (as normal), but then go left on the A361 to drop him off to pick his car up in Glastonbury. Was wondering if anyone had used that route before to get back onto the M5 and if so, what's the traffic like? I know the car parks for that side are all along that road...can I expect massive hold-ups or will it be relatively straightforward?

I have to do something different going home this year. My son is working on Thursday but he's swung it so that he can work at their shop in Glastonbury town on Thursday morning. He plans to leave his car at the store and get a lift to site on Thursday afternoon, but when we leave on Monday I need to turn around on the A37 to go back north (as normal), but then go left on the A361 to drop him off to pick his car up in Glastonbury. Was wondering if anyone had used that route before to get back onto the M5 and if so, what's the traffic like? I know the car parks for that side are all along that road...can I expect massive hold-ups or will it be relatively straightforward?

Pretty sure you will find you are not allowed to turn left from A37 onto A361 as you plan so you will either need to use the Shepton/Wells/Glastonbury route, or head South on A37 then West through lanes and Baltonsborough village to Glastonbury.