Future Headliners

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I'm not sure about Florence anymore. I really hope she does go onto headline festival but given she's not headlining Glastonbury I'm not as certain as I was that she's a future headliner. I agree about the other two, not sure how much bigger Fall Out Boy can get and I think You Me At Six will peak at subbing.

The 1975

Foals

Alt-J

Royal Blood

are the only one's i'd put money at the moment. The 1975 have a pretty poweful following, one that I would be weary of underestimating. I'd say after their second album it could happen a little sooner than you think!

Foals

Bring Me The Horizon

Royal Blood

Alt-J

Florence & The Machine

The 1975

Enter Shikari (I'm not too sure they will though, just throwing their name in the mix)

You Me At Six

Fall Out Boy

Vampire Weekend

Imagine Dragons

Kendrick Lamar

But I'm willing to say over half of those wont headline. Just don't know who really, more just throwing some more names out there :P

The 1975
Bring Me The Horizon
Foals
Royal Blood
A Day To Remember
You Me At Six

I'd be surprised (and very happy) if ADTR ever headline. Do you know something we don't Andre :P

Edited by justanothername

Next year I reckon Florence will make the step up. Still have my doubts about Foals, but I think eventually they will do it.

I've kinda come to expect Royal Blood in 2017 after album number 2 and a summer of subbing at places in 2016.

The 1975's next album will come with an arena tour and I can see them headlining in the next few years.

I think YMAS not subbing last year makes them headlining on return that bit more likely and that could easily be 2016/17.

Looking into the more distant future I'd guess BMTH, Disclosure, Fall Out Boy & Black Keys are all plausible headliners. (The latter two getting a lukewarm reception)

Can't see Vampire Weekend, Alt J & Imagine Dragons growing much beyond what they are now or Kendrick returning once he has subbed.

Next year I reckon Florence will make the step up. Still have my doubts about Foals, but I think eventually they will do it.

I've kinda come to expect Royal Blood in 2017 after album number 2 and a summer of subbing at places in 2016.

The 1975's next album will come with an arena tour and I can see them headlining in the next few years.

I think YMAS not subbing last year makes them headlining on return that bit more likely and that could easily be 2016/17.

Looking into the more distant future I'd guess BMTH, Disclosure, Fall Out Boy & Black Keys are all plausible headliners. (The latter two getting a lukewarm reception)

Can't see Vampire Weekend, Alt J & Imagine Dragons growing much beyond what they are now or Kendrick returning once he has subbed.

tumbling-beam.gif

Pretty good shouts so far, lots I'd be happy with (The Black Keys / Royal Blood) and some I'd be less enthused about (BMTH / Fall Out Boy). If we're only considering bands that push on to make headline status the only one I can really think of which hasn't been mentioned is Chase & Status. I wouldn't be surprised if Slipknot, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Blur all headlined soon too.

If we're only considering bands that push on to make headline status the only one I can really think of which hasn't been mentioned is Chase & Status.

I think Chase + Status have been replaced by Rudimental and someone will replace them and so on ad infinitum.

mental gymnastics bud

Looks more like 'sticking a landing' yo.

Edited by dentalplan

A lot of the suggestions above just don't have the widespead appeal or breadth of hit singles to make a successful headliner. How many A Day to Remember songs does the average Reading goer/non-fan know?

I also reckon that while BMTH's sub slot is setting them up for headline festival performances they will be at Download and Sonisphere in alternating years and RnL will never take the risk

I do think that Royal Blood and The 1975 have a very big chance of headlining RnL in the near future as they almost have enough well-known songs from their debut albums to fill a well received headline set, all that they have to do is keep the momentum going with their next records. All that Chase & Status have to do is release an album irrespective of quality and reception and they'll get a headline slot IMO

Probably never going to happen but Daft Punk headlining would be an absolute dream for me. Presuming they follow their cycle of world touring once every ten years (96-7, 2006-7) I'd kill for them to play R&L in either 2016 or 17. I don't think it'd be an impossible booking either, I'm pretty sure both Wireless and Global Gathering managed to get them last time, although if they were to appear a UK festival it's most likely to be Glastonbury.

Saw daft punk twice on the 06/07 tour. First time was amazing, 2nd time they it was the EXACT same show. Still enjoyed it, but it showed how rehearsed they are live, to the point that I'm not even sure they were playing live at all.

Ahh so jealous of that! Yeah that's a fair comment, although I do probably listen to their Alive 2007 album once a month! I'd hope they'd try something similar with a new tour as I feel an album tour of RAM would be really tricky considering some of the songs of that album wouldn't translate very well to a live show.