How do you give first-timers the tour?

johnmcga

A mate of mine is finally coming to Glastonbury this year, after years of me badgering him.

I've talked the festival up so much that I can't help thinking it's almost certain to be a disappointment when he actually arrives! I've never actually shown a first-timer around before, so what are your tips?

We'll likely be arriving on Wednesday afternoon / early evening, so my initial plan is to take him up to the Park, grab a beer and then hike up the hill to get an overview of the site. Then I'm thinking some kind of mini pub-crawl towards the Brothers Bar, where I'll need to have my usual ceremonial cider.

After that, things have a habit of running away with me ... last year I vaguely remember talking rubbish to a bunch of people in the Avalon Inn till about 3am.

Anyway, any advice? How did you make sure a friend's first Glastonbury had a wow factor?

Where are you parking? In my experience nothing stuns a first timer like the first view of the site from the top of the hill of death above Gate C.

In all likelihood we'll be getting the train (I well know to sit on the top deck, left side of the shuttle bus!).

I think you've got the right idea, I'm taking a couple of first timers and want to show them the hill at the park, cider bus and the avalon inn but other than that I justwant them to do their own thing and find their own good time!!

:)

but other than that I justwant them to do their own thing and find their own good time!!

:)

Yes. Be aware of being a boring know-all.

Know when to stop.

Allow him to discover things and work them out.

Act surprised at times.

Remember..... "This one time, at band camp......"

Play "First to spot the Tor" on the bus to get in the mood. It's a bit like going on holiday as a kid when it's first to say "I can see the sea."

Showing a newbie round is one of the greatest thrills for a vet as they see things afresh and the look of sheer joy and amazement on their face is wonderful.

Walk up one of the hills - up to the Stone(d) Circle, making sure they don't look round till they get to the top. Then let them turn round and be totally gobsmacked by the enormity of it all.

It's quite hard to orientate yourself at first so point out key landmarks that might help them in the dark - like the Radio Avalon/Worthy FM Mast. It might be worth taking the map from the Guide with you to help.

As you walk round you might get the newbie to make a note of places you might arrange to meet up at later - in case for some of the time you decide to go your own ways.

Examples could be one of the festival meeting points or the Oak Tree at the top of the Pyramid Field.

Make sure they can find their way back to their tent. You could even say: "Now take us home."

Edited by grumpyhack

My group of 5 from last year convinced ten friends to come after the amazing first year we had. So no doubt well be trying to give them a tour but we hardly know it ourselves! Was thinking the usual take them up to the park and the stone circle, then just go on a mammoth pub crawl and see where we end up! Always end up following the music anyway.

I always orientate using the railway line.... so one end is Dairy (always camp there), the other end is Shangri-la. Anything downhill is stages and markets, anything up hill is greenfields and the park. Show them what to look out for for the pyramid stage, and then just let them go for it!

We had a newbie with us last year and arrived through Gate C meaning they got their first glimpse of the festival before the 'hill of death' but I don't think they really understood the sheer scale until we took them up to the Park field and just let them take it all in, luckily the sun was out so it looked even more stunning (although shame about the amount of gas canisters left up there!)....then onto the Brothers stall for a well earned cider!

Don't waffle on and spoil it before he arrives. Let it remain a surprise. Don't over plan and let him take it all in at his own pace. He's an adult presumably so you don't need to tell him how to orientate or where stuff is. He will work it out. The fun is in finding stuff with out a guide or a map.

Obviously all of the above but parsonjack says it how it is. However, to refine it slightly....the ultimate Glasto moment is at the top of the Hill of Death at 2-4am on the Saturday night for viewing and volume. Quite an amazing experience even for someone that's been going for nearly 30 years. Honestly this experience gets bigger and more overwhelming every year.

dont go mad trying to show them every thing BUT do go to the bread and roses grab some cider then stroll round to the dorset blue soup stall grab some soup [ so youve eaten ] then go up PAST the stone circle just as its getting dark and up to the glasto sign but make sure you have a drink to enjoy the sight ....

enjoy

Obviously all of the above but parsonjack says it how it is. However, to refine it slightly....the ultimate Glasto moment is at the top of the Hill of Death at 2-4am on the Saturday night for viewing and volume. Quite an amazing experience even for someone that's been going for nearly 30 years. Honestly this experience gets bigger and more overwhelming every year.

hi old son can we conferm that the hill of death is where the Glastonbury SIGN IS ??

hi old son can we conferm that the hill of death is where the Glastonbury SIGN IS ??

No, but the hill you talk of is more deadly and hillish than the actual "Hill of Death". It's just that the view and volume at the top of the actual Hill of Death is unbelievable during the witching hours, especially during 2-4am Saturday night.

Good agreement here....

My list for newbies is connect the pyramid and railway line to wher ewe camp then brothers get them drunk and up the park hill, past that they're basically on their own. Occasionally purposefully give wrong directions to things... it was much more fun when I still got lost and found new bits I never knew existed

It's proven a good recipe