Late night areas - with children?

EasyUserName

The South East corner ( Shangri-la, The Common, Block 9 ,Unfair Ground etc) is a fascinating area and open during the day as well so if you want to take the kids to show them some of the great stuff there then do but before 8 or 9pm - as after 11pm it becomes extremely busy, more extreme and too crowded for children - once it gets dark then you could easily lose them in some of the areas of Shangri-La etc. but is definitely worth a visit. Don't event think about it if it is after the main acts have finished. If it is a muddy one then some of the alley ways get extremely thick mud and it can get difficult to move around if you have little ones. so great to explore during the day and early evening for kids but not late at night.

I don't take mine to the late night areas. No licensing issues as far as I know but I wouldn't have thought it the place for kids to be honest...having said that my 1 year old slept very soundly on my back in a sling whilst we watched the mutoid waste co last year, but like previously said this was way up by the kidzfield, relatively quiet and on our way back to campvervan east. I wouldn't dream of taking them to the SE corner.

... Why on earth would you? ... Its not so much license issues as common sense parenting issues.

Two things to that one - at what age is it common sense? For your children that is 15 - that's rather ... arbitrary ... for everyone.

Second thing - I'm curious as to the *actual* limits, rather than judgement limits.

I've noticed prams and the like - you can't help but notice them, as they are tricky to move around.

With a supposed 4,000 children under 12 years, and who knows how many between 12 and 15 (for the sake of discussion) I'm surprised that there don't seem to be many about late at night in those sorts of areas - if only for a look if nothing else.

Under 18s are not allowed to purchase or drink alcohol in the late night venues.

Restriction to the venues is the decision of each venue. I'm not aware of such limits for the venues that I've worked in.

Some of the more adult themed venues may not welcome under 18's. You could ask them directly.

The parent is responsible at all times for their childrens welfare at the festival. The general late night vibe of the whole festival is one of excess behaviour - be it alcohol or drugs or both. Only you can make the correct judgement.

AFAIK all the festival is as open as the rest, you can take them where you want. The rest is, indeed, down to personal judgement.

However you do yourself a disfavour firmly silencing such voices - it's worth hearing people's experiences. Even if not for yourself it's informative for others and it's a public shared thread.

I've taken my kids to Silver Hayes late at night. 2 asleep in the buggy and 1 asleep in the sling. I wouldn't take them to the SE Corner purely because of crowding issues. I myself find crowd surges frightening and the bright lights can sometimes be disorientating. To try and navigate a buggy or protect a small person in a sling from getting bumped around is enough to put me off. I would like to get up to the SE Corner during the day this year for a wonder around (last time was 2010), but not if it's muddy. I would love to visit the Rabbit Hole too but have no idea whether that's possible with children in tow.

Arcadia is definitely possible, as is the Glade. I've seen quite a few people with buggies late at night in the Glade, myself included. It's open enough to be able to remain on the edges and happily rave away while the littles sleep away blissfully unaware

I would love to visit the Rabbit Hole too but have no idea whether that's possible with children in tow.

Depends on their age.

Probably fine in the main stage area - your risk etc etc.

Probably not suitable for the tunnel sections. I ran the front door and queue system last year and I would have said no to the kids.

AFAIK all the festival is as open as the rest, you can take them where you want. The rest is, indeed, down to personal judgement.

However you do yourself a disfavour firmly silencing such voices - it's worth hearing people's experiences. Even if not for yourself it's informative for others and it's a public shared thread.

Thanks for all the feedback. Having re-read it, I can see my first response appear to be a bit shirty! I’m sure it wasn’t the intention of Giantkatestacks to suggest otherwise, but I read that response as being a tad judgemental. So sorry for the overly-quick sarky response!

It’s a contentious topic really. After all, just by taking children to a festival is enough in the eyes of some people to brand individuals as “bad parents”! Plenty of that on the internet when you look.

Possibly tongue-in-cheek, although some amusing comments:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/aug/27/festivals-no-place-for-children

I think perhaps I should have posted this thread in the “Chat” section, as I intended it more as a discussion rather than a specific question. Plus, I’m not sure that I’ve articulated my thoughts all that well.

In short, I am taking my children this year (1st time for them). I’ve been a number of times (7 or 8?) so understand how much of the festival works (& has worked in practice), but I’ve never paid attention to children other than their presence when it is noticeable (to me).

One area that I recall children seemed to be conspicuous by their absence was, as stated, the “late night areas”. By which I mean as an example (but not limited to) Shangri-La / Glasto Latino / Block 9 as well as Arcadia etc. I’ve spent some time there in the mid-to-late evening, and on the odd occasion later. So think, during the headliners on.

I was curious as to this, and the feedback thus far can be summarised in two points.

1. There is no legal reason.

2. It appears from the bulk of the limited feedback it is not considered a “good idea”.

I’m surprised at the first one, to be honest! I had assumed there would be some form of limit. I don’t imagine my children will be raving till dawn, but it is interesting that it is the discretion of the door staff / venue organiser rather than a licence issue that would be the ultimate stop there.

I understand that you need to be over 18 to purchase alcohol, and I’ve seen the detailed discussion thread about the mechanics behind it (quite interesting read really). It does seem interesting that there is such a strictly enforced system for the purchase of alcohol, but not who can be present in the venue. I’m not complaining or otherwise making a judgement call, just making the point that it’s not what I imagined.

As for the second point. Well, that one is more interesting for me really. I do understand the points about appropriate judgement of the situation, which suggests that these areas are not suitable for children. Point taken about the areas being predominantly designed for individuals in the pursuit of excess, such as alcohol or other consumption. I’m sure that not everyone there is in this state of course. And yes, the crowds can be tricky (I recall the year before the one-way system, and the chaos that was present).

However, I have some memories of other areas where I’ve seen children and things haven’t worked out so well – one recent one being the Rolling Stones at the Pyramid. I was passing through on the “top” lane (edge of Row Mead towards Big Ground) before the show had started, and was caught in a big crush. It took some time to clear, and the prams / carts of smaller children present were clear to see due to the way the crowd was laid out. The Pyramid was oversubscribed for that event - I imagine that there would’ve been spots in that crowd where it wasn’t all that comfortable for adults, let alone children (I have come upon posts on other forums about this– as in people took their children to see them, as “when would they get the chance again?”)

Repeat again for Blondie, or the area around the cider bus during the day when (if) the sun is out before the “Big” music starts, and I think it is reasonable to say that children can be seen in high density environments where there are plenty of drinkers up until the early evening. Yet not at all (that I recall) in the “late night areas”.

It is actually not that difficult to find areas (the Latino area being a case in point) where the density is reasonably low at certain times.

Please don’t see this as an argument, as I’m simply looking at this based on the experiences I’ve had, where I’ve been aware of children.

I would assume it was simply down to the time, in the absence of licence issues, because I can’t see that everyone would feel that it was “a bad idea” when there are clearly people who don’t feel that way about events during the day. But even this, I’m not sure of, as I’ve read posts on other forums about people who had children who slept during the day a lot and then were out “late”.

Personally, I find it interesting on how you would make the distinction on where to draw the line, and the assumption that the late night areas are automatically a no-go area.

I hope this makes my thoughts a little clearer.

Arcadia is definitely possible, as is the Glade. I've seen quite a few people with buggies late at night in the Glade, myself included. It's open enough to be able to remain on the edges and happily rave away while the littles sleep away blissfully unaware

Maybe this is why I've not noticed children around this area - more space for them to be to one side, and thus less obvious as I pass by.

Each year we explore the SE corner for one night, from 9ish onwards with our boy. He was 8 the first time we took him and watched the stunning Arcadia show in 2010. He is now 13. Never had any issue taking him around there. Have stayed late, indeed when Arcadia was in there, very late. People are great.

Last year ?? or year before we visited the Heaven part and he got taken into the inner sanctum thingy (whatever it was called) without us. I did not fear for his safety for one minute. After awhile we went in to find him sat at the bar swapping jokes with the two bar men and drinking soft drink.

Whilst i dont doubt some will be horrified at this, it has to be taken in context to our own lifestyle. We know many bands and spend a lot of time in this sort of enviroment so he has grown up with it. But i agree its not for everyone and would certainly never attempt to queue after the headliners have finished.

Im more scared of his walk to school unattended than i am taking him into the SE corner.

I think manateemike has made a good point there - if your children are used to being up late and around adults and music etc - i.e. if your life is conducive to it then they can probably contextualise it and understand what is going on.

My children, at the ages of 7 and 11 wouldnt be able to contextualise the addled nature of the adults, nor some of the venues - copper dollar etc or the pole dancers etc - they would find it all at best, extremely confusing and at worst, extremely frightening.

Plus I think it is unfair on the adults in those spaces -when they come into the kids field they are rightly asked to modify their behaviour to their surroundings but they shouldnt have to in the late night areas.

These spaces are designed to excite, stimulate, frighten, freak out adults. When you take children to festivals you know that you will have to compromise and this is one of those times. I actually do think that under 16s wouldn't be allowed into some of the venues with explicit themes as the festival and the parent wouldn't be safeguarding effectively and this would have knock-on effects for the licence. They probably don't state it explicitly as it would seem to be common sense to them.

I dont mind being called judgey about it - If I saw a primary age child up at 3 in the morning surrounded by people off their faces on ket I would hoik my judgey pants right up.

However, I have some memories of other areas where I’ve seen children and things haven’t worked out so well – one recent one being the Rolling Stones at the Pyramid. I was passing through on the “top” lane (edge of Row Mead towards Big Ground) before the show had started, and was caught in a big crush. It took some time to clear, and the prams / carts of smaller children present were clear to see due to the way the crowd was laid out. The Pyramid was oversubscribed for that event - I imagine that there would’ve been spots in that crowd where it wasn’t all that comfortable for adults, let alone children (I have come upon posts on other forums about this– as in people took their children to see them, as “when would they get the chance again?”)

I was on child duty for the Rolling Stones gig and opted to go in the very top section of the Pyramid. We got their early to try to avoid the queue which we successfully did. The place just got busier and busier though and half way through I bailed as I did not want to be caught in the crush of people getting out. Ended up watching the rest of the set from the bar in Hawkwell. Was much more pleasant and the sound was better. I still left early again though to avoid the crush at the end. Decided the rucksack carrier is far easier to transport him around now in the evening.

I have never taken him in the SE corner in the evening - we went there on the Thursday last year though I think which was pretty busy. In general we have not had any problem - most people are extremely tolerant, friendly and helpful.

From my experience the worst crush by far is the one between John Peel and Silver Hayes - get that at a bad time and it is awful - but again most people are not pushing past you/surging etc so whilst the queue was bad it was not particularly threatening.

Off topic slightly but I bailed during the rolling stones too and decided to leave carrying my son and left the pram with his dad. We got stuck in a bottleneck on the top lane that cuts across and that's the only time of however many gburys that I've been a bit fearful of being in a crowd with a child.

Can't imagine the pyramid being that busy this year!

I don't have children - so you can take this with a pinch of salt. I think parenting is very subjective and what works for one parent and child would not work for another. I have seen child in SE corner before and they seemed very happy - parents were obviously not off their faces and the kid was about 8/9, just enjoying the music and surroundings. Everyone was friendly and had no issues with it. But I have seen more kids in SE corner during the day, when it isn't busy and when it's light. One year I saw two children in a bath / pram / trolley, it had lights, neon paint and they both had fancy ear defenders on. You couldn't miss this bath - it was pretty awesome!

Plenty of kids in Silver Hayes at night either dancing with parents or just sleeping in prams / make shift carriers. I think so long as you're comfortable as a parent with your children in that environment and they have been in that environment previously it isn't a problem. If you're worried about the dark, busy areas with your children than you're not going to take them there.

Neither parent would get judgement from me - parenting seems like a hard enough job already without added social pressures :D

Bit off topic sorry to hijack but read this thread with interest and wondered those of you with young kids at Glastonburys past, have you/ do you watch headliners at the pyramid and how do you do it? Our boy will be just under three and it's obviously very late. Last year we missed the headliners to put him to bed in the tent but wondering how others manage? He's much too heavy for a sling otherwise he would love to snuggle up. Really don't think he'd tolerate a pushchair when tired and grumpy. Thanks sorry again!

Bit off topic sorry to hijack but read this thread with interest and wondered those of you with young kids at Glastonburys past, have you/ do you watch headliners at the pyramid and how do you do it? Our boy will be just under three and it's obviously very late. Last year we missed the headliners to put him to bed in the tent but wondering how others manage? He's much too heavy for a sling otherwise he would love to snuggle up. Really don't think he'd tolerate a pushchair when tired and grumpy. Thanks sorry again!

My friends with little ones sit further back up by the tree and put the kids in snuggle duvet things and they fall asleep. The big garden trolleys are also good- make up a bed in it, decorate with fairy lights etc.

My now 3 year old son and eldest son fell asleep in his pram during the evening just walking around - after so much excitement during the day they're bound to be pooped. Then put the seat back and tucked him with fleece blanket and put ear protectors on if can and then relax! Luckily both of them stay fairly sleepy for transporting into bed later though other people put them in their Pjs ready. It's a good time to have a bit of you time.

Edited by sunnyshoes