Top tips for a newbie.

Angelab0409

Posted this in the creamfields thread so ill repost.

I'd suggest bringing a towel in some form I always bring an old one and it always comes in handy wheter its because someone has spilt drink in the tent or the rain has flooded an area.

Usually when I got to a 3 day festival I make sure i have at least 2 pairs of trousers, 1 pairs of shorts, 4 tshirts, a waterproof jacket, tent, sleeping bag, inflatable matress (a luxury I couldnt live without now), wellies, 2nd pair of shoes, enough drink to last the weekend, suncream, medical supplies (paracetamol, hayfever tablets, plasters, small bottle of suncream), tape to mend the tent and a collapsable 8 litre water dispenser.

you can't go wrong if you have all that covered, everyone does things in their own wee way.

just remember if your tents fucked so are you so take good care of it and plan for all types of weather you don't want to have to fork out abotu £50 for a hoody if its raining.

Also, Its gonna be freezing at night and pretty loud so if you have sleeping issues like myself i always bring earplugs from the pound shop.

Make sure you've got enough bevy to last the weekend and if you want to go Bilbo and go off on an adventure by yourself then make sure thats when you have your phone on you rather than just unnecesarrily spamming the battery checking twitter for no reason when your sitting around all your mates in the campsite.

Have a good one.

1. Much like backpacking/travelling, pack your bag then half it. Most of it is surplus.

2. 2 pairs of footwear, 1 comfy(everyday things)and 1 for bad weather(wellies/boots). Whatever the weather wear the bad weather ones on your way in, everyday shoes are lighter/smaller for packing.

3. As for clothes try to keep it at a minimum that you are comfortable with, a change of clothes a day with a few spares is more than enough(many go with less!). Just remember some warm hoodies/jacket for night, can be freezing!

4. Tents. 2 spaces for 1 person is the rule I go by, 1 for you and 1 for your stuff. Judge from there. I have decent tents but cheap ones will do, just make sure it is a 'double skinned' and put it up before you go so you know everything is there/working! Can always get a can of fabric sealer from an outdoor shop for added waterproofing(about a fiver).

5. Money. A meal is around £8 and drinks around £4 so judge what you need from there, most will have more than enough with £50 a day/£150 a weekend and will probably have change.

6. An ideal camping spot is away from paths, not at the bottom of a hill or in a dip(water collects) and away from services like burger vans and toilets!

7. Work out what you think you will need a day for drink but remember you have to carry it in so cut back where you can. Spirits are lighter than crates, if you are willing to pay for it onsite maybe ditch the mixers etc upto you.

8. Remember water is provided onsite so need to haul litres of the stuff, just something you can fill there(empty bottle does the trick). Small snacks are good for nighttime as well!

9. When you are set up got for a wander, it will orientate yourself and will make it far easier finding your way home at night!

10. Toilets tend to be cleaner after a women has been in there or a group, they also tend to be cleaned during the day in the campsite so if you are there make use!

11. Make friends with your neighbors, always good for the banter/partying but helps make a mini 'Neighborhood Watch' lol

12. Don't set yourself with 10 acts a day to see, you'll stress yourself and others out. Pick a handful then go with the flow! :)

Bonus. A suitcase is NOT suitable. Padlocks are not required for a tent, pointless. Hand sanitzer is a must. Remember something waterproof, emergency ponchos are ideal! Duct tape will fix anything on a tent so bring it. Don't bother with a chair, can buy them cheaply on site. Don't bring anything you aren't willing to lose. Save yourself the hassle and buy a cheap phone with a long battery(around £15), I have never wasted any time charging a phone(chances are it won't work anyway, rubbish reception). Remember blackbags, not only for rubbish but can keep everything dry if a monsoon arrives!

Might post my packing list later, as for now can't be a*sed :P

Edited by KrisKyle

I bought a phone from tesco which was only £7, has the battery life of like a month, and comes with a deal that triples your credit when you top up, so I still have more than enough from last year to do me this year.

I don't think I've seen babywipes mentioned yet??? Babywipes babywipes babywipes and hand sanitiser. Dry shampoo or a mini bottle of talcom powder if they're worried about their hair, who needs showers.

If they're a beer drinker then maybe best to look into BeChilled which will make the queuing/walking to pitch the tent a lot more enjoyable without that weight.

If they can hold it then going to the toilet in the morning is nicest in the arena when it first opens.

Duct tape and bin bags.

How much alcohol should I bring.

I'm thinking one bottle of spirits(70cl) per day between two of us. But then how many cans? I can't see us spending that much time not in the arena, I'm assuming that there is basically camping area and all its facilities then the arena area with food, rides, music etc.

How much alcohol should I bring.

I'm thinking one bottle of spirits(70cl) per day between two of us. But then how many cans? I can't see us spending that much time not in the arena, I'm assuming that there is basically camping area and all its facilities then the arena area with food, rides, music etc.

Whatever you will drink for breakfast and then back at night. Personally I'm only taking a 12 pack of pre mixed G&Ts in with me for breakfast and will be getting 12 cans a day from 'Be Chilled'. Do most of my drinking in the arena so will be buying in there!

How long is the be chilled queue usually? Not sure whether to get 24 on Thursday and Saturday or go up everyday and get 12?

Even if the queues are big they go in really quickly, depending what time you go, we tend to go after the arena closes so we have fresh cold cans for night and stay chilled over night for the morning.

always recommend the lockers!

They come with a phone charger so can charge during the day, also means you can leave car keys wallets and valuables over night locked up.

only carry what money you need a day and be carefull on the first night, tent thieves are at their most active. So many people go large on the first night and pass out with their weekend money on them.

Healthy T is great for a decent meal at least once a day

Wet wipes and hand sanitiser are a must