Glastocam!

pauladam

I'm not sure it ever got actual planning permission, only that MDC just got tired of asking ME to take it down each year (and being subsequently ignored). In the end they just gave up.

I seem to remember the frame might have been taken down once after its first appearance in 2000. However, its otherwise permanent now.

Edited by Pinhead

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I genuinely think a new one is coming in the next few years, now it's smaller than Other.  Wouldn't surprise me if there was a new structure for 2020.

I'd love to see what they'd do with a new one, obviously they'd have to keep the iconic pyramid shape, I did think that Sheeran's three screens looked a little odd on the current pyramid, so maybe they'd make it more of a multi purpose type of thing with more flexibility if they did redesign it.

59 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

I'm not sure it ever got actual planning permission, only that MDC just got tired of asking ME to take it down each year (and being subsequently ignored). In the end they just gave up.

I seem to remember the frame might have been taken down once after its first appearance in 2000. However, its otherwise permanent now.

They never got permanent planning permission. At some point the permission to stay up year round got incorporated into the Event licence, and on that basis they've currently got permission to keep it up until the end of 2024.

The council did protest about the lack of year round permission in the late 00's, and it was taken down at least a couple times around then because of that.

Edited by incident

24 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I genuinely think a new one is coming in the next few years, now it's smaller than Other.  Wouldn't surprise me if there was a new structure for 2020.

I didn't know this :) I mean, the Other is big but doesn't look any bigger than the Pyramid to my eye (although I am 4 parts blind!!). Surprises me that. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the Other Stage the same stage they use for Reading/Leeds? (I could probably Google this but hey-ho!)

In  some respects I've always thought the Other Stage was bigger than the Pyramid, maybe not in regard to the actual floor space on stage though.

Worthy View is officially the most messy part of the site at this point.

Amazing that it's returned to (almost) normal so quickly!

Definitely keen to make a visit next summer, to explore the land outside of festival time.

Edited by DropBeat

36 minutes ago, chard_evans said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the Other Stage the same stage they use for Reading/Leeds? (I could probably Google this but hey-ho!)

In  some respects I've always thought the Other Stage was bigger than the Pyramid, maybe not in regard to the actual floor space on stage though.

No it's completely bespoke for Glastonbury:

http://www.stages.co.uk/case-studies/15

• Upvote 1