Pregnant at Glastonbury

Blueberry

Hi all, I’ll be 15-16 weeks pregnant at Glastonbury this year. Anyone ever been to Glastonbury pregnant before who can share some tips? I’m particularly worried about getting a good nights’ sleep - should we invest in a bigger tent? Should I take extra bedding? Any tips on portable loos / buckets for your tent (I need to go all the time and, in my experience, the toilet queues in the camping areas are always really long in the mornings…). Thanks in advance for the advice!

Hi Blueberry, Ive done Glasto at 10 weeks, and another at 37 weeks. The earlier one was super easy, no extra equipment needed, but the 37 weeker was interesting. We had a two man tent, and my husband is not the smallest of men! But I found an inflatable mat, sleeping bag and blanket worked just fine, mostly. If you have the carrying space an airbed may be preferable. :-) I also used travel johns for night time toilet calls, I think you can get them in the efestival's shop, but if not, amazon do. :-)

My friend was 18 or so weeks pregnant.. She did really well. Just go off for a lovely shower every couple of days and perhaps a nap in the day. Maybe take a little stool or chair as she struggled a bit with her back and the amount of walking. Most problems were solved with tea and cake though! As for the toilets, she wees might be the option there!

The first time we went my partner was 6 months pregnant with our first child and we were very apprehensive but after arriving we were very reassured to see lots of young children and other pregnant women.

We just made sure we knew where the toilets were, I carried a couple of chairs with us everywhere and a bag of provisions.

When ever she was feeling tired we generally headed for the cabbarie tent or the circus field as they tended to be a lot quieter and not to big a walk from the areas we wished to be to watch any bands.

We had a campervan though so the night time arrangements were a bit less stressful then camping but did mean a long walk at the start and end of the day.

Enjoy your festival

Hi Blueberry :)

We went in 2013 at 7 months pregnant and I was a bit apprehensive about it too. I must admit the sleeping situation was made a lot easier by taking a camper van, but if we were camping I would have probably struggled as I was the size of a small whale at 7 months!!

We checked in at the medical centre, and they were lovely - make sure you take your notes with you :)

Be prepared to be hyper aware of yourself when you're walking about, especially in crowds or if it's slippy (I took some good walking boots and walking poles with me to try to minimise slipping!).

Take loads of snacks, nature valley granola bars are great, and make sure to drink loads and loads of water as you get dehydrated much more easily when you have a bub on board :)

Not sure if you'll have a bump by then, but I was surprise at how many people looked out for me when I had mine - it was so lovely, most people even let me queue jump in the toilet line :) - so maybe invest in a couple of 'baby on board' t-shirts or badges? This might help in the toilet queues ;)

Make sure to go up to the Radical Midwives tent in the healing fields, they are lovely and have loads of great advise (esp if this is your first pregnancy) and it's a good place to sit and chill out for a while. You can also get a belly cast done there which is a lovely memento of your pregnancy :)

Most of all, take it easy and take plenty of breaks and have loads of fun :)

We're taking our nearly 20 month old this year for her third Glasto (second on the outside!) so we'll keep an eye out for you :)

Peace x

Check in with Festival Medical Services when you arrive, just so they are aware of you and your condition.

TBH I'm not sure that would be entirely necessary @ 15 weeks provided there's no complications.

I'd recommend you photocopy only the pages from your yellow book that have information filled in, rather than take the whole thing, as that way it will be easier to carry round with you and you don't risk the original getting lost or damaged.

Hi all, thanks so much for all your advice! Very much appreciated! Yes, this is my first pregnancy so I'm a little unsure of what to expect, but all this advice has made me a bit more relaxed. It will certainly be odd not having a cider for breakfast, but I'm looking forward to this new Glastonbury experience!

I've done Glasto when pregnant twice now, and had a ball both times. In fact, last year I went with a toddler whilst pregnant. First time I was 11 weeks, the second time I was 20 weeks or so. I really enjoyed both of them although the sobriety was a novelty - but waking up with a totally clear head is a bonus.

So - definitely make sure you are comfortable when you sleep. We had a camper van last time and it was great - you will get much more tired than you would normally do, and you don't have alcohol to carry you through.

Take something to sit on - a comfortable camping chair would be best - especially if the ground is in any way soft. You'll really be glad of the chance to sit down.

I found I was much more comfortable if I avoided big crowds - so stood towards the back of any stages, and avoided the usual high traffic pinch points. I had a noticeable bump the second time I went, and people were always lovely if they noticed, but the first time I was not obviously pregnant so clearly people can't make allowances for you - I just felt happier being a little more on the edges.

Eat eat eat - you can't drink, you may as well enjoy Glasto's amazing food. You'll need the energy though.

The NCT have a tent at the very back of the Kidzfield which is lovely and relaxing, and they'll make you a cup of tea if you're pregnant.

Have fun, and don't forget to come back next year with your baby!!

I've done Glasto when pregnant twice now, and had a ball both times. In fact, last year I went with a toddler whilst pregnant. First time I was 11 weeks, the second time I was 20 weeks or so. I really enjoyed both of them although the sobriety was a novelty - but waking up with a totally clear head is a bonus.

So - definitely make sure you are comfortable when you sleep. We had a camper van last time and it was great - you will get much more tired than you would normally do, and you don't have alcohol to carry you through.

Take something to sit on - a comfortable camping chair would be best - especially if the ground is in any way soft. You'll really be glad of the chance to sit down.

I found I was much more comfortable if I avoided big crowds - so stood towards the back of any stages, and avoided the usual high traffic pinch points. I had a noticeable bump the second time I went, and people were always lovely if they noticed, but the first time I was not obviously pregnant so clearly people can't make allowances for you - I just felt happier being a little more on the edges.

Eat eat eat - you can't drink, you may as well enjoy Glasto's amazing food. You'll need the energy though.

The NCT have a tent at the very back of the Kidzfield which is lovely and relaxing, and they'll make you a cup of tea if you're pregnant.

Have fun, and don't forget to come back next year with your baby!!

Such great tips - thank you!