Cycling to Glastonbury

Aragorn

Anyone else doing this ?

Am fortunate that a mate is taking all my stuff to the campervan fields for me so I'll pick it up when I am there

I understand last year if you cycled you got a guarenteed ticket early as well for this year :) Hope they do the same again !

Anyone else doing this ?

Am fortunate that a mate is taking all my stuff to the campervan fields for me so I'll pick it up when I am there

I understand last year if you cycled you got a guarenteed ticket early as well for this year :) Hope they do the same again !

I'd really love to do this. I live a long way away though, would take me a good few days, and unfortunately I only fly back to the Uk a couple of days before the festival. One day though, one day...

If true I can see a future rash of bikes being put on cars / vans with the vehicle parked up, the last mile being cycled, then a return to the vehicle and re-enter

If true I can see a future rash of bikes being put on cars / vans with the vehicle parked up, the last mile being cycled, then a return to the vehicle and re-enter

Thats what we do kind of , but dont claim the green bonuses , its just so much easier to cycle from the carparks with all the stuff in bike trailers no weight on arms / shoulders

Anyone else doing this ?

Sorry, say again....if you cycle you guarantee a ticket for the next festival?! I'll cycle from London with all my stuff to secure this little perk.

Sorry, say again....if you cycle you guarantee a ticket for the next festival?! I'll cycle from London with all my stuff to secure this little perk.

Here's the dilema. People who cycled to the festival last year were given priority booking this year, effectively guaranteeing them a ticket.

The problem is that this "perk" was never advertised, or promised, and there's no way of knowing for sure whether it'll happen again or was a one-off thing.

Here's the dilema. People who cycled to the festival last year were given priority booking this year, effectively guaranteeing them a ticket.

The problem is that this "perk" was never advertised, or promised, and there's no way of knowing for sure whether it'll happen again or was a one-off thing.

I'd imagine they could only do it for one or two years, as there are so many ways around it (and does favour those more local to the Festival where its a practical option).

Edited by LondonTom

I'm cycling this year with two friends. We will take the train from mid-Shropshire down to Bristol on Monday. Then breaking the cycling down into three days. 15 miles Monday to a campsite, 17 miles Tuesday to Wells, then a 2ish mile run into the festival on Wednesday.

They will do luggage from Bristol so our plan is to find a shop close to the luggage drop-off and purchase some "groceries". Those will be waiting for us when we arrive. You're allowed 30 kilos which equates to about 60 tins of beer if you don't send anything else. So supplies shouldn't be an issue.

One of my friends did the organized ride from Bristol last year and sure enough he got access to a private pre-sale, on the Tuesday I believe. That said we're not counting on the same perk. We're doing it because he had a great time and it sounds like a fun way to get to the festival. If we do get a pre-sale for next year then it's just a huge bonus.

If they do decide to extend it, then I don't really see a problem. You still have to get within striking distance of the festival and find a place to park your car. There aren't going to be many of those less than a few miles away, so you still have to cycle with all your stuff. The cycle from the car parks thing could be an issue and TBH I'm not sure how you would stop it.

I cycled from London in 2011 with my son and a friend of his. Set off on the Sunday and cycled to Reading, then Devizes, then Bristol and then linked up with the (dis)organised official ride to the Festival. Then met at the gate by Michael Eavis and a local TV crew.

There are two main drawbacks to cycling. One is how to get all your stuff there on your bike or otherwise - I got round it because my other son could bring my gear. The other is doing a long ride leaves you pretty tired and not in the best state to start the festival.