Headliners 2016

thewayiam

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I was excited by the news that they had planned to invest plenty into the nightlife aspect of the festival to take the emphasis of the Glastonbury experience away from headliners as I thought it might have meant three new headliners every year; current big acts who - as it is currently - might not be seen as big enough to headline making new Glastonbury moments and stamping their names into history or whatever. The likes of Sigur Ros or Tame Impala, or in the interest of fairness, Ellie Goulding or Disclosure. 

Sadly if this 'four repeat headliners in the next two years' proves true then it's a nothing like that at all and not a great omen for future headliners. As you say though, they may see it as there being no room to make risky headline bookings with the Glastonbury headliners under so much scrutiny every year that it could derail the future of the festival by failing to sell out and people wanting the big name bookings will piss off to the festivals that have booked them.

Wouldn't even have to be acts that small, really. They should be willing to book acts like Florence this year to headline (initially), and Foals next year, but it seems they won't. Acts who are on the up and nearing their peak.

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Metallica and Kanye were curveballs I think, both created such a discussion on social media that it perhaps did Glastonbury more good than booking someone safe. 

That's why I'd be surprised if they went with three 'safe ones' in the same year. Yes, the viewing figures would be good etc. but no safe act would case a stir like the two aforementioned acts did. Unless the organisers have booked Adele, in which case she'd be the most hyped up 'safe booking' in a long time (on par with the Stones in terms of hype I reckon).

3 minutes ago, mrf said:

People give attendees too much credit. The majority wouldnt know Sigur Ros. Christ, the first year I went I wandered round places that people I went with hadnt even been to and the majority had gone to 10 or more Glastonburys! If they dont explore the festival site, they damn well wont have explored anything past mainstream headliners.

Theres a HUGE chunk of the Glastonbury crowd that go there and maybe one of the big event Hyde Park festivals, and thats their live music experience for the year. They dont go to gigs, they dont care about live music. They know they should go to Glastonbury ("Well you just have to dont you, just like finding yourself in a resort in Goa, its all about the experience darliing"), they know they want a big name that they know the hits of, and they want to be able to put pics on Facebook of them in their North Face gilet with a little bit of glitter on one eye and their partner in a brand new tie dye t-shirt that they bought in H&M the week before they went.

They dont want Sigur Ros. They want safe, they want stuff that Grimmy has played them on their commute to their office in the morning, they want the classics they heard on Heart while in the juice bar.

Its too big now to take a risk, and the vast majority want what they know, and they feel comfortable with.

People said the same about arcade fire, and the festival carried on just fine. Hoppipolla is more well known than any arcade fire track too.

The festival must realise it can't book coldplay or whoever is popular on radio 1 every year. It must know it's better than that.

There must be some bands about that are popular with the yoof that could headline that aren't old duffers like coldplay, muse or a radio 1 favourite?

Just now, Will-2609 said:

Wouldn't even have to be acts that small, really. They should be willing to book acts like Florence this year to headline (initially), and Foals next year, but it seems they won't. Acts who are on the up and nearing their peak.

Yeah, I mean I don't personally want Biffy Clyro to headline but if they're considered too small by the festival then they're really digging a hole for themselves.

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

People said the same about arcade fire, and the festival carried on just fine. Hoppipolla is more well known than any arcade fire track too.

The festival must realise it can't book coldplay or whoever is popular on radio 1 every year. It must know it's better than that.

There must be some bands about that are popular with the yoof that could headline that aren't old duffers like coldplay, muse or a radio 1 favourite?

I think its true that the Kanye booking and its criticism said more about the demographic of the festival than anything else. I criticised them because of the effects booking him had on Big Chill, Global Gathering etc. but its true that he was always huge amongst people my age who didn't necessarily go to gigs. Thought the Glastonbury crowd was much younger this year, as a result of Kanye being booked? Who knows. Think Glastonbury proved me wrong. 

10 minutes ago, Untz said:

According to people on here they don't have enough fans to fill the Crows Nest.

They're definitely not big enough for the Pyramid though.

Not sure about that; they've headlined quite a few large(ish) festivals over recent years, Bestival, T, Coachella. We are talking 'risk' and maybe they wouldn't excite the BBC armchair fans, viewing figures and all that........, but why not?

7 minutes ago, GlastoSimon said:

I think its true that the Kanye booking and its criticism said more about the demographic of the festival than anything else. I criticised them because of the effects booking him had on Big Chill, Global Gathering etc. but its true that he was always huge amongst people my age who didn't necessarily go to gigs. Thought the Glastonbury crowd was much younger this year, as a result of Kanye being booked? Who knows. Think Glastonbury proved me wrong. 

I dunno how old you are, but kanye is late 30s isn't he? Shame even their risky bookings are old men.

The first few Glastonburys I went to had up and coming bands in their 20s headlining. Oasis, radiohead, prodigy etc...Why has that policy changed?

Edited by russycarps

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Although I'm not a massive fan of either band (Coldplay and Muse) it's more the fact that they're such recent repeats that irks me more. One, fair enough, but two from the last five festivals is crap (especially for regular attendees). Adele I can get behind as she's obviously a huge coupe for the festival if they've managed to book her - I'm just not ecstatic about her myself (although I reckon, clashes pending, that id end up watching her). This is all assuming the headliners are in fact those three - remove Muse and add somebody else, even somebody I dislike, and it immediately becomes a stronger trio in my eyes

I'm.still enjoying the image of Adele as a huge coupe.

4 minutes ago, oneeye said:

Not sure about that; they've headlined quite a few large(ish) festivals over recent years, Bestival, T, Coachella. We are talking 'risk' and maybe they wouldn't excite the BBC armchair fans, viewing figures and all that........, but why not?

They had headline spots at T and Coachella but not main stage ones. I imagine similar could be bestowed upon them at Glastonbury. As for a Pyramid headliner you'd have to wonder why they'd bother making an outside-the-box booking for a band that stopped releasing new music about thirty years ago - that would be worse than redoing current bands' headline slots.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They had headline spots at T and Coachella but not main stage ones. I imagine similar could be bestowed upon them at Glastonbury. As for a Pyramid headliner you'd have to wonder why they'd bother making an outside-the-box booking for a band that stopped releasing new music about thirty years ago - that would be worse than redoing current bands' headline slots.

Fair enough, but I don't recall The Stones or Stevie Wonder (for example) releasing any credible new music in recent years?! :)

11 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Those weren't outside-the-box bookings; they're massive artists who would draw insane crowds. Kraftwerk would draw 15 people.

Haha, very good. Let's go back to booking 'safe' headliners then. I only suggested Kraftwerk as an example of maybe taking a 'risk', rather than the Coldplay, Adele, Muse Pyramid headliner zfest that we are likely to get in 2016.

Leonard Cohen is a good shout :)

Edited by oneeye

1 minute ago, oneeye said:

Haha, very good. Let's go back to booking 'safe' headliners then. I only suggested Kraftwerk as an example of maybe taking a 'risk', rather than the Coldplay, Adele, Muse Pyramid headliner zfest that we are likely to get in 2016.

I was just explaining the point dental seemed to be making, in that these riskier headliners should be bands on the up, hence creating new festival headliners, keeping the festival fresh and helping its future.

I just said they should be booking acts like Florence/Foals, not Coldplay/Adele/Muse.

Booking Kraftwerk as a headliner doesn't keep things fresh, and they're nowhere near big enough. Acts on the up like Florence will still draw big crowds.

As Dental said, Kraftwerk headlined the third stage at TITP the other year (similar to the John Peel, I think), and by all accounts it was half empty.

8 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

I was just explaining the point dental seemed to be making, in that these riskier headliners should be bands on the up, hence creating new festival headliners, keeping the festival fresh and helping its future.

I just said they should be booking acts like Florence/Foals, not Coldplay/Adele/Muse.

Booking Kraftwerk as a headliner doesn't keep things fresh, and they're nowhere near big enough. Acts on the up like Florence will still draw big crowds.

As Dental said, Kraftwerk headlined the third stage at TITP the other year (similar to the John Peel, I think), and by all accounts it was half empty.

Oakeydoakey, so if Kraftwerk were ever to be booked it would have to be the Rabbit Hole :)

I do agree with trying to keep the headliners fresh though, but can't for the life of me think who; I'm pretty rubbish at coming up with credible suggestions, especially on red wine Sunday :)

Edited by oneeye

Seems the same people who are bored with the repeat bookings are the same as the ones who say Biffy Clyro, Foals, Florence and the Machine, The Prodigy, Ed Sheeran and NGHFB aren't big enough to headline!! 

Sadly if bands like the above (yes I know Flo headlined in the end) aren't given the bump up then we will continue to have the same bands/acts on every album cycle.

What would people prefer?!! 

1 minute ago, Untz said:

But no screens?! 

Goddamn I want Red Wine Sunday, but I overdid Beer Saturday Night.

No screens, acoustic set I reckon.....

We had G & T Friday and more G & T Saturday; red wine Sunday is the come down since it has become obvious that a bottle of gin will no longer last a weekend in the Oneeeye household :)