Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Artist in having a stage persona/alter ego shock. Of course the "silly Icelandic girl" is a bit of a marketing tool, but if the music is good and she performs it well then whatev. Admittedly she isn't to everyone's taste.

As I went to type artist, my phone wanted to correct it to Artistik. Now there's a potential Pyramid headliner who just needs a bit of a push up.

Even as someone who's not much of a Bjork fan I've got no problem if there are differences between her onstage and offstage personae. I mean, that's partly the nature of performance.

the act comes off-stage with her, I'll point out. It's more than a stage act, it's a "for all public interaction" act.

But anyway, that wasn't really my point. I loved seeing Bjork in the Sugar Cubes (whoops, typed sugababes first time :lol:), but have been bored to death with seeing post 2002 Bjork. From 'live' to 'dead'.

Edited by eFestivals

the act comes off-stage with her, I'll point out. It's more than a stage act, it's a "for all public interaction" act.

But anyway, that wasn't really my point. I loved seeing Bjork in the Sugar Cubes (whoops, typed sugababes first time :lol:), but have been bored to death with seeing post 2002 Bjork. From 'live' to 'dead'.

I'm curious, did you see her in 2007? That version of Hyperballad is possibly my top Glastonbury moment ever. It may have been because of the beats rather than the singing, but don't be fooled by the fact that she uses collaborators. Her fingerprints were all over that arrangement, she's a bloody auteur.

Nothing dead about the last time she played Glastonbury.

Does this interview sound like a faker? http://m.pitchfork.com/features/interviews/9582-the-invisible-woman-a-conversation-with-bjork/

I know your comments are somewhat tongue in cheek,  but I have enormous respect for the woman. She's a musician genius. Yes, there are strong melodic similarities in her songs, but when you listen to the details of those records, they're all really different and quite wonderful. She's not just kooky, she's brilliant.

I'd love to see her back at Glastonbury, but I fear her live work has crossed over too far into performance art to work in a festival setting.

I'm curious, did you see her in 2007? That version of Hyperballad is possibly my top Glastonbury moment ever. It may have been because of the beats rather than the singing, but don't be fooled by the fact that she uses collaborators. Her fingerprints were all over that arrangement, she's a bloody auteur.

Nothing dead about the last time she played Glastonbury.

Does this interview sound like a faker? http://m.pitchfork.com/features/interviews/9582-the-invisible-woman-a-conversation-with-bjork/

I know your comments are somewhat tongue in cheek,  but I have enormous respect for the woman. She's a musician genius. Yes, there are strong melodic similarities in her songs, but when you listen to the details of those records, they're all really different and quite wonderful. She's not just kooky, she's brilliant.

I'd love to see her back at Glastonbury, but I fear her live work has crossed over too far into performance art to work in a festival setting.

Nope, didn't see her in 2007. Having seen he previously I was scared away from potential boredom; from what I read it only goes more that way since I last saw her.

I'm not sure how I'm meant to hear an accent in typed text, but perhaps I was blind to a link to the recording. Whatever, I know the public voice is a fake.

I'd go as far as saying she's one of the more musically talented, but that still doesn't mean I want to hear it,  there's plenty of talented people whose output doesn't grab me. I liked some of her earlier solo stuff, but it's got less exciting as the years have gone by from where i'm sat.

Your last line pretty much sums up my feelings about it well over a decade ago.

I listened to an interviw with Kate Bush the other year and it freaked me out how much she sounded like Linda Smith. I thought she was going to be all ethereal and shit, but no.

Edited by Mardy

Whereas when the cameras are off him Lemmy sounds like Minnie Mouse.

ah, that reminds me, i listened to the WTF double header yesterday with Richard Thompson and Lemmy. Fucking hell, Lemmy sounds awful, proper like he's at death's door. Was really shocking. Meant to post it on the appropriate thread here. 

Nope, didn't see her in 2007. Having seen he previously I was scared away from potential boredom; from what I read it only goes more that way since I last saw her.

I'm not sure how I'm meant to hear an accent in typed text, but perhaps I was blind to a link to the recording. Whatever, I know the public voice is a fake.

I'd go as far as saying she's one of the more musically talented, but that still doesn't mean I want to hear it,  there's plenty of talented people whose output doesn't grab me. I liked some of her earlier solo stuff, but it's got less exciting as the years have gone by from where i'm sat.

Your last line pretty much sums up my feelings about it well over a decade ago.

Sorry early morning posting, I thought you were saying she was a fake in general and the accent was a part of that.  The interview I posted was evidence that she does reveal the real person and isn't all persona with no substance.

Fair enough that you give her respect, but still don't want to hear her music.  There's plenty of acts I feel that way about.

You did miss a cracking show in 2007. The video is on YouTube, but it doesn't convey what it was like being there. The arrangement was particularly suited to the massive rig of t'Other Stage.  I suppose in the same way that you can't transplant her Glastonbury set to your own home, you can't transplant her recent shows to Glastonbury.

I really should try for tickets next time she tours, especially as she seems to keep premiering stuff down the road from me.