Headliners 2016

thewayiam

Didn't we have this whole Coldplay are on last year.

Maybe it's been set in stone since last year.

yeah thats what i thought when i read it, that the information came through changed slightly to 2015 when actually it was that they'd agreed to 2016. Or maybe they had agreed to 2015 and it didn't happen because they album release is next year (i remember talk around the low key album last year that there'd be a new one in 2015 that never happened)

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expected them more than anybody else until Neil's Foos info, so can't get too disappointed.

First few albums are good, they look good live and I've never seen them. Will be hoping for a more enjoyable alternative but in reality I wouldn't mind watching them. Same as my thoughts when they went TBC last year.

I'd watch Foos (unless there was a crazy good alternative) but wouldn't watch Adele.

But where is Radiohead? Probably illegal to book both them and Coldplay for a festival because suicide rates.

If you don't hate Coldplay (which i appreciate many do), and you've never seen them I'd recommend watching them. Not at all as boring live as on record and the atmosphere and crowd was brilliant last time. Safe booking, yes, but that doesn't make them a bad one, all things considered on the day of the gig it'll be good

Personally I'm not as happy about Foo Fighters as I was this year, and would probably miss them if anyone i remotely like is on another stage, despite looking at them as my highlight this year. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

so we're back in this rut again?  *sigh*

the festival needs to sell all tickets, big acts do that, and in turn subsidise the other stuff.  this we all know.  it's just a shame that the pool of acts big enough isn't that big.  i'm not at all arsed whether people have seen them before or not, whether they put on a great show.  i don't care if they 'get the festival'.  i'm more irritated that this thread seems to be coming to an early consensus!

Think you have hit the nail on the head with comment about first timers.

I am not a big fan of Coldplay but would be happy to see them headline at my second festival as would not go and see them otherwise. Guess  the bookers have to balance the desires of the newbies against the veterans wishes. without knowing the breakdown( they must be able to analyse this what with the registration numbers etc) i would guess newish attendees would outnumber vets. Also I guess the BBC would like at least 1 headliner a year that will draw a big tv audience. Presumably Coldplay would fit that requirement.Plenty of imagination on other stages so hopefully all win in the end!

i don't think it's really about newbies vs. veterans.

there's shitloads of veterans who park themselves at the Pyramid stage year after year who will be delighted to see Coldplay again. safe boring music for the camping chair brigade.

i think her being scared of huge crowds has been widely over exaggerated, and besides - she's one of the biggest acts in the world. she's gonna need to perform to gigantic audiences somewhere along the line, unless she'd rather just play 365 smaller instant sell out shows a year to accommodate all her fans

gigantic audiences, maybe. she should probably start by touring arenas which she has still yet to do.

her first large outdoor show to be headlining Glastonbury live on the BBC? no chance.

"‘I will not do festivals.  The thought of an audience that big frightens the life out of me.  I don't think the music would work either.  It's all too slow.  I'd hate to book a festival and have a fucking anxiety attack and then not go on stage.’"

So 1st of all these new bards keep coming up with dodgy virus pop ups! There was no need for change!

Secondly, Adele if she's there would suit Saturday down to the ground and Disclosure opposite Foo's with The Prodigy opposite Coldplay is a very Blur/The Prodigy style booking. I'd be at other stage, Coldplay last album was rubbish as is their new song.

I actually get excited when a headliner I'm not fussed about is announced, it means I get a chance to see something else.

I thought that last time but in the end missed not having a Pyramid headliner that interested me.

I enjoyed what I saw but love a good Pyramid headliner blow out.

So 1st of all these new bards keep coming up with dodgy virus pop ups! There was no need for change!

Secondly, Adele if she's there would suit Saturday down to the ground and Disclosure opposite Foo's with The Prodigy opposite Coldplay is a very Blur/The Prodigy style booking. I'd be at other stage, Coldplay last album was rubbish as is their new song.

Yeah I was wondering if the virus thing was just my phone or the website. Took me about 5 attempts to quote dental just now.

Also just realised we now have our reps next to all our posts.

I'm a fan and they are excellent live, so happy for them to play again. I just hope the new album is alright - the last one was rather poor.

Radiohead need to be there though. Surely their time is now!

Pretty much my thoughts. Not the most exciting booking but unless there's something I'm desperate to see on another stage then I'll be there. Might change my mind if all the new stuff is as bad as Amazing Day though!

gigantic audiences, maybe. she should probably start by touring arenas which she has still yet to do.

her first large outdoor show to be headlining Glastonbury live on the BBC? no chance.

"‘I will not do festivals.  The thought of an audience that big frightens the life out of me.  I don't think the music would work either.  It's all too slow.  I'd hate to book a festival and have a fucking anxiety attack and then not go on stage.’"

i hope you're right, but she could easily do an arena tour earlier in the year and then do Glastonbury later on

I saw Coldplay in 2011. It was my first Glastonbury and I wanted to see a big Pyramid show and they kind of nailed that for me. They wouldn't have enough new material that I'm excited about to see them this time, though.

I understand the detractors. They aren't the best band in the world. They appeal to me on a level I don't think I'll ever understand. 

I seen coldplay in 2011 at Oxegen in Ireland they put on a pretty good show,

but on top of that they done a collaboration with Christy Moore singing Ride On (anyone form Ireland knows this guy and this song and has probably listened to him directly or through their parents for years)  for their second last song.

This tells me they know they know, their crowd and how to please them wherever in the world they are

Edited by gerardfenton18

The only thing that made me think Coldplay had a chance was Chris Martin's words that it was too early for the year just gone but I've still thought all the way it was too early, this said if any band returned earlier than any think they should it'd be Coldplay but they'd still not be in ideas for it. Interested to see if Werchter announce them as that will be a pretty big indication. I'm still going along with what I have from the start that it won't be Radiohead and I don't think Adele either.