Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Arcade Fire in 2014 is the best damn Glastonbury show I ever did see! Probably in my all time top 10 of any live show.

Rolling Stones and Chemical Bros last year for me. Just been listening to it actually. Masterpiece!

• 1 month later...

As much as I had sheepishly admitted I was looking forward to Coldplay (primarily as I'd never seen them headline Glasto before) - and for all the talk of bland headline booking this year (I accept that in terms of who they were etc.) - I have to say all three absolutely nailed it. When was the last time all three headliners put on a superb Pyramid headline performance?

My plan was only to see Adele and Coldplay, I wasn't that fussed on Muse in the build up and instead quite fancied Disclosure over on the Other as previously saw them headline the West Holts in 2014 and loved it. Changed my mind last minute and headed over to see Muse as had never seen them before. I thought the set was great, a strong 8/10 and at that point I was very happy I'd made the last minute switch.

Then came Adele and Coldplay. Two completely different performances, both 10/10 for me. They've shot right up into my top 3 Pyramid headliners since 2013, With Rolling Stones unlikely to ever be toppled.

First year in four I saw all three Pyramid headliners, and I don't regret it one bit.

Edited by djdavejohnson

• 4 months later...

I have a silver cloud for those who were upset that Muse returned with such a small gap; at least it wasn't after their next Hip Hop album with Pokemon inspired live show! http://www.radiox.co.uk/artists/muse/news/muse-matt-bellamy-wants-make-hip-hop-album/#hkXEX4cu05pgU6qV.97

For what it's worth I thought Muse smashed it this year, far better than my memories of 2010

On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 1:57 PM, tevaburger said:

thought Arcade Fire were brilliant from where I was at towards the back of the pit area...and it was telling that one of them said to us as they left "in a career of many highlights, this was probably THE highlight" (wasn't sure if it was Win who said that so didn't want to directly claim it was him, lest i be corrected) as it seemed like they were trying to play down the significance of a Glastonbury headline set prior to gig

4/4 for me on the Pyramid sets i caught that day, all great, War on Drugs, Rods y Gabs, Elbow and then AF. a great Friday overall w/ Courtney Barnett at the Park playing what seems to have been the best of the sets vs. the other 3 she's played since that one, based on the feedback i've read on here.

Me too. Fantastic night

On 3 May 2016 at 6:27 PM, MEGABOWL said:

I was at Leeds in 2009 and they were awful. Truly awful.

It was worse than that!

i was there when they were subbing a few years earlier and the atmosphere was electric. The band couldn't believe the reaction they were getting. 

Fast forward a few years to the humbug album. And as a band they had collectively disappeared up their own arses. They announced they wouldn't play anything off their first album. Turner was fucked on something and it was dreadful. 

I think the reaction to the album and that appearance at R&L shocked them and since then their last two albums were good and the state lists much better

i enjoyed the Glastonbury headline set. It was good with out being great

i always thought turner modelled himself on shakin Stevens rather than elvis 

8 minutes ago, beaker said:

It was worse than that!

i was there when they were subbing a few years earlier and the atmosphere was electric. The band couldn't believe the reaction they were getting. 

Fast forward a few years to the humbug album. And as a band they had collectively disappeared up their own arses. They announced they wouldn't play anything off their first album. Turner was fucked on something and it was dreadful. 

I think the reaction to the album and that appearance at R&L shocked them and since then their last two albums were good and the state lists much better

i enjoyed the Glastonbury headline set. It was good with out being great

i always thought turner modelled himself on shakin Stevens rather than elvis 

I saw them that year (at Reading) and I'm pretty sure there was no announcement that they wouldn't play anything off the first album. Especially as they did play several songs from it (at both Leeds and Reading).

13 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

I saw them that year (at Reading) and I'm pretty sure there was no announcement that they wouldn't play anything off the first album. Especially as they did play several songs from it (at both Leeds and Reading).

Just checked. I stand corrected. I remember watching an interview on MTV and they said they wouldn't play anything off their first album. 

Regardless of my mistake they were still fucking shit 

Just now, beaker said:

Just checked. I stand corrected. I remember watching an interview on MTV and they said they wouldn't play anything off their first album. 

Regardless of my mistake they were still fucking shit 

I remember that interview, I think. With Zane Lowe? The way I remember it he named songs from their back catalogue - Teddy Picker etc. - and they said whether or not they'd been chopped. I don't think they ever said they wouldn't play anything from the debut. 

I've certainly never seen a field empty so quickly. I stuck around and had a good time though. Humbug had only been out a few days but I'd been listening to it constantly so I was familiar with the songs. It was probably a misjudged approach to headline a festival with a brand new "difficult third album", but I think they knew exactly what they were doing. It was a conscious attempt to shake off the "why don't you sing about taxi ranks anymore" crowd. And I think they've got more interesting with each album, musically and lyrically, soooo I suppose it broadly worked. They just had to tank a couple of festival headline slots to get there.

28 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

I remember that interview, I think. With Zane Lowe? The way I remember it he named songs from their back catalogue - Teddy Picker etc. - and they said whether or not they'd been chopped. I don't think they ever said they wouldn't play anything from the debut. 

I've certainly never seen a field empty so quickly. I stuck around and had a good time though. Humbug had only been out a few days but I'd been listening to it constantly so I was familiar with the songs. It was probably a misjudged approach to headline a festival with a brand new "difficult third album", but I think they knew exactly what they were doing. It was a conscious attempt to shake off the "why don't you sing about taxi ranks anymore" crowd. And I think they've got more interesting with each album, musically and lyrically, soooo I suppose it broadly worked. They just had to tank a couple of festival headline slots to get there.

You could be right about it being deliberate but I also remember them being really pissed off at the reaction of the crowd at R&L and they played V the next year (from memory). You are right. The next two albums have been much better. I thought suck and see was them going back to basics rather than any Great Leap Forward like AM

it will be v interest what direction their next album will be in