Headliners 2016

thewayiam

I just find it amusing that here, on the Glasto chat and on reddit, there's only real buzz when some completely unbelievable, sketchy information comes out suggesting Adele isn't playing, or Radiohead are. It's quite jarring how little people are bothered about speculating on the headliners this year. I'm sure Adele will put on a performance that pleases her fans and she'll get a huge crowd, but she really isn't a headliner that's generating loads of buzz on sites like these. It just makes you wonder whether she's a headliner that's been booked to please people who actually go to Glastonbury, or whether she's been booked more to please those watching at home on TV.

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Fabrizzo said:

it's true that Erykah Badu has never played at Glastonbury...

Apparently they've been trying to get The Nolans to headline West Holt's for 30 years but they want too much money! EEDEEUTTS!!

It's true that The Nolans have never played...

58 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Not headlining as opposed to not playing?

47 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

please don't believe it because if u do you see fueling the 'believe' fire and I will start believing it and the whole forum will and we will all be buzzin!!!!!! then bam Adele announced. Sounds familiar aye muse?

The Dream... Its... Alive! 

#KTDA

download.jpg

Whatever happened to the headliners all being "British Bands"? And four out of the next six headliners having already headlined before. So Muse and Coldplay are British bands who've already played. Leaving The Stone Roses to play this year seems as Radiohead have already headlined. 

Well that's my shitty logic and I'm sticking to it. B)

3 minutes ago, BenLFC said:

Whatever happened to the headliners all being "British Bands"? And four out of the next six headliners having already headlined before. So Muse and Coldplay are British bands who've already played. Leaving The Stone Roses to play this year seems as Radiohead have already headlined. 

Well that's my shitty logic and I'm sticking to it. B)

who's to say that it isn't all of this years headliners that have already played before and two of next year haven't?

Edited by FloorFiller

What I don't understand is they have announced two bands with tickets to sell still? 

Yet if they have Adele who has no tickets to sell. They could cause biggest media shit storm for both Glasto and Adele. Everybody would be all over it. 

But it's heading towards the first poster drop. She will outshine everyone on the line up in terms of media coverage. The poor peasant acts won't get a look in. 

Flipping it,  maybe Emily wants to make a statement with the amount of female acts on the first poster drop,  including arguably the biggest female act in the world right now. 

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

yeah some acts gain huge momentum in between years so it makes total sense for them to be rebooked. my girlfriend at the time told me that Years & Years was stupidly rammed and loads of people couldn't get in, so it'd make total sense to book them on a bigger stage this year

Nah bruv, you're thinking of Slaves who have been rebooked to sub Adele on the Pyramid

6 minutes ago, craigb said:

What I don't understand is they have announced two bands with tickets to sell still? 

I wouldn't say that counts if the band has, like, five dates at each venue and they've already sold out a couple and most tickets for the other ones. Probably quite unlikely that they'll all sell out anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong but T in the Park arent advertising roses as a UK Fest exclusive which if they were an exclusive surely they'll mention that, they're not at IOW like some thought either. That leaves BST and Glastonbury as only 2 other UK festivals they can play?

Just thought that might be worth mentioning...

I still can't see it being the Stone Roses at all. There's about 5% chance it's Radiohead, and they are the second most likely. With Adele, Radiohead and the Roses as three options, I can't see any reason why they would book them. Much more expensive, the least 'big deal' of three and, I'm sorry, but a band that aren't especially relevant anymore. 

Regarding Adele - I still believe she's absolutely nailed on, but I can't help wondering why she hasn't been announced yet. That's the only slight glimmer of hope worth clinging to. It's make so much sense for her to have been announced weeks ago, and very little sense for them to hold it off until the lineup poster. Perhaps there is some hold up with the negotiations or something?

IF Radiohead headline, at this point there must be no doubt that they would be stepping in for Adele.

16 minutes ago, across97 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but T in the Park arent advertising roses as a UK Fest exclusive which if they were an exclusive surely they'll mention that, they're not at IOW like some thought either. That leaves BST and Glastonbury as only 2 other UK festivals they can play?

Just thought that might be worth mentioning...

TITP don't normally bother announcing acts as exclusives so we can't read into that too much. I am a bit surprised they aren't doing a UK festival though.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

and then at TITP the following week, so although they could easily go back and forth, it's unlikely that they would

I don't think there's any chance of them playing at this stage, but I don't think it's because of their tour dates.

Although you're right, it would be a bit odd to jump back and forth.

Just now, kingcrawler said:

TITP don't normally bother announcing acts as exclusives so we can't read into that too much. I am a bit surprised they aren't doing a UK festival though.

If Isle of Wight blew their load on Fleetwood Mac, Glastonbury has seemingly gone for other options and R/L seem to be in a financial pickle (at least judging by their headliners), it's probably a case that they have priced themselves out of English festivals this year.