Headliners 2016

thewayiam

21 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

i refuse to believe the stones only decided to do it the morning of the announcement in 2013. I reckon they had a 'yes' for a very long time - it would be so risky to wait that long on a headliner.

As far as I've heard from a number of different directions, Glasto did only find out out for sure that day - tho other stuff suggested it was likely to happen.

And I was also told they had a solid back-up plan in place for if they'd said 'no', too - so they weren't as dependent on the stones saying yes as you might imagine.

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

As far as I've heard from a number of different directions, Glasto did only find out out for sure that day - tho other stuff suggested it was likely to happen.

And I was also told they had a solid back-up plan in place for if they'd said 'no', too - so they weren't as dependent on the stones saying yes as you might imagine.

Any idea what the back up plan was? If it was Primal Scream, it might explain why Gillespie was so grumpy during their set. 

2 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

Any idea what the back up plan was? If it was Primal Scream, it might explain why Gillespie was so grumpy during their set. 

I'm not entirely sure, but I'd guess that one of the subs that year would have been elevated to headliner - as I know (just some?) acts are booked as sub but told they might end up headlining.

It wouldn't have necessarily been the sub on the same day as the stones, tho, that would have ended up as Saturday headliner - as days can get swapped around with these sorts of things.

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm not entirely sure, but I'd guess that one of the subs that year would have been elevated to headliner - as I know (just some?) acts are booked as sub but told they might end up headlining.

It wouldn't have necessarily been the sub on the same day as the stones, tho, that would have ended up as Saturday headliner - as days can get swapped around with these sorts of things.

Hadn't Mumford already been bumped? So we would have ended up with Primal Scream, Nick Cave or Dizzee headlining?! Or Portishead, Chase and Status or The XX if you went scrambling around on The Other stage. That would have been a very small year for headliners, lucky the Stones said yes.

It was probably Coldplay penciled in just in case :rolleyes:

Edited by Festival Liam

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

yeah nick cave or portishead headlining the pyramid would have been awful. Thank god we got mumfords instead.

Apologies, I meant in terms of what your average Joe would think, not your average EFestivals real music warrior. 

Edited to make that clearer. 

I personally would love to see the smaller bands like Mumfords and The XX bumped up to Pyramid headliner status. Irregardless of personal opinion.

Edited by Festival Liam

6 minutes ago, Festival Liam said:

Hadn't Mumford already been bumped? So we would have ended up with Primal Scream, Nick Cave or Dizzee headlining?! Or Portishead, Chase and Status or The XX if you went scrambling around on The Other stage. That would have been by all accounts a dreadful year for headliners, lucky the Stones said yes.

It was probably Coldplay penciled in just in case :rolleyes:

I'd guess that The XX would have likely been the one, then Pixies bumped up to headline against them. I wouldn't be surprised if The XX actually make it to Pyramid headliner next time. 

Edited by reflekting

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I think the whole "dithering thing" acts do with Glastonbury is they probably get a lot of acts verbally agreeing they will do it - but it takes a while for things to get penned

i refuse to believe the stones only decided to do it the morning of the announcement in 2013. I reckon they had a 'yes' for a very long time - it would be so risky to wait that long on a headliner.

if Adele was indecisive she probably said yes a while ago - but things weren't all booked up until more recently. I refuse to believe Glastonbury waits that long for acts. It's surely suicide if an act they chase for months says no

prince???

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm digging Grandaddy.  Thanks for the tip!  the screenwipe song is actually my least favourite so far, some of the others are lovely.  I don't know why, I think I had it in my head that they were really noisy.

There's a couple of solo albums by Jason Lytle ( Singer) to check out too. Well worth a listen! 

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm digging Grandaddy.  Thanks for the tip!  the screenwipe song is actually my least favourite so far, some of the others are lovely.  I don't know why, I think I had it in my head that they were really noisy.

AM 180 is probably the band's least favourite song, to be fair.

Their slow transition from their lo-fo beginnings through the more proggy Sophtware Slump to the more polished Fambly Cat is a joy.

The B Side / EP type stuff is great too.

Jason Lytle's solo stuff isn't too shabby either. Try Matterhorn.

NB: Jason pretty much writes and records all Grandaddy's output.

4 minutes ago, Woffy said:

AM 180 is probably the band's least favourite song, to be fair.

Their slow transition from their lo-fo beginnings through the more proggy Sophtware Slump to the more polished Fambly Cat is a joy.

The B Side / EP type stuff is great too.

Jason Lytle's solo stuff isn't too shabby either. Try Matterhorn.

NB: Jason pretty much writes and records all Grandaddy's output.

I ended up on one of their earlier records and wasn't so keen.  I think I know where I got the idea from that they were noisy - I listened to them! Albeit one of the earlier songs.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I ended up on one of their earlier records and wasn't so keen.  I think I know where I got the idea from that they were noisy - I listened to them! Albeit one of the earlier songs.

Try Under The Western Freeway.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What has happened to all of the Stone Roses speculation? I don't know if any others have heard the rumours regarding a release tomorrow. All around twitter and surrounding tabloids. Could coincide with a headline announcement?

Surely that third slot is between SR and Rhead. 

1 minute ago, ryan.wills said:

What has happened to all of the Stone Roses speculation? I don't know if any others have heard the rumours regarding a release tomorrow. All around twitter and surrounding tabloids. Could coincide with a headline announcement?

It's Adele. 

7 minutes ago, ryan.wills said:

I don't know who Dan Chapmn is, but I reckon he knows something:

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

11 minutes ago, ryan.wills said:

No new Roses stuff tomorrow.