Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, siweltrebor said:

Adele would feel like a special performance considering she never does festivals, doesn't appear to be a great fan of the live performances, perhaps less now with this massive tour coming up here and in the States in particular.

This would be her first festival? what a way to make a debut on the festival circuit, Glastonbury, that's an iconic booking in this modern era of artists.

Her voice is excellent, great personality, some great songs, though I don't often listen to her or her back catalogue, I would watch her though without a doubt, i wouldn't pay to see her elsewhere, but at Glastonbury, defo worth a shot.

She played The Great Escape in 2007, albeit a metropolitan one without camping. Personally would thought it would have been her or Coldplay, and would rather have had her...grateful I have a ticket regardless

I agree that Radiohead, Coldplay and Muse would be an uninspired set of headliners.

With that being said, they are three huge names and it would easily be one of the biggest set of headliners in the history of the festival. Plus, I actually feel the opposite way to some of you in that it'd be cool to see the three bands most synonymous with Glastonbury all play the same year...and it would really open up the possibilities for next year! 

5 minutes ago, A Guy Called Matt said:

Her new album is actually all about how happy she is now in love and with her kid........ but the songs still sound like the first two albums.

Saves me listening to it now. As long as she doesn't do the Skyfall song I'll probably have a listen out of curiosity.

20 minutes ago, captainmuscles said:

I'm surprised so many people on here seem up for Adele, for a forum of rock-centric tastes. I haven't listened to the radio for a long time and Adele really passed me by. Is she actually not shit?

I definitely have rock-centric tastes but ironically it would be Adele that would actually have that little edge of excitement to it. As her performance at the Grammy's apparently showed last night she would be outside of her comfort zone and has that element of unpredictablilty about it. Adele also does have a handful of epic tunes which IF she nails it could provide a genuine Glastonbury moment which would just be expected from the hardy veterans Coldplay and Muse who can do these gigs in their sleep.

If it is the Muse Adele Coldplay triumverate it is Adele that actually intrigue me the most. I'd rather see Adele than Radiohead whose post OKC material is just not to my taste..

Adele really is more than just soppy ballads, even on her 2nd album she's got to upbeat songs and even more so on her 3rd album

she's not balls to the wall rock and roll but I think most people think it's just going to be tissues at sundown for 2 hours but I think she can still do an upbeat show despite her ballads

19 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

I have enjoyed seeing Coldplay, Muse and Radiohead (each on several occasions) in the past but I really do agree that it's a dull set of headliners, if that's what we have. It feels stale and almost a caricature of the festival. I think the problem is how important it has become to have stadium-sized statement acts to be showcased across the BBC in the headliner slots.  If I recall correctly, the record Pyramid crowd (possibly before the Stones, Dolly and Lionel) was The Levellers; the video footage looks like one of the greatest of Glastonbury moments. As things stand, a "cult" act like that can't be booked to close The Pyramid, these days. Unfortunately, it's the festival's and our loss.

That said, if it's Adele (which would at least be a marginally more imaginative booking) let's hope they secure the piano mics properly because that noise last night was horrendous.

Whilst I do not disagree with you at all, I think the real problem now is how much of a big market the US and Canada is, and how much money they've got behind them. Whilst Glastonbury is undoubtedly still huge, it doesn't have THAT much of a big pull, to get a huge US booking over for a one off, so they US offers things like residencies, or the option of not leaving America, more bands will do it (in my opinion). I realise our whole situation arrives because it is going to be a repeat performance from Muse/Coldplay and Radiohead (fwiw, i am a very big fan of Muse' live shows, but I think booking them to headline isn't a good move anymore), I believe only Radiohead would be suitable, it's been a 'while' since they've last headlined, and everyone talks about 'that' show in 1997, but even they seem coy on a Pyramid performance. But they do need to stop shooting themselves in the foot, when someone like McCartney does festivals around Glastonbury, you have to try and get them (yes, this makes it sound like i'm being very hypocritical of my earlier point). Muse/Coldplay will probably play again, but how long does Macca have left? It'd pull a huge crowd, and it's been that long since he headlined, so many people won't have actually been attending when he last did it. I've been going since 2010, and if it is those 3 headliners, they'll have all played in some capacity twice, in the last 6 years.

But, not that it's about headliners anyway!

Think i've seen Metallica in full on the Pyramid, that is it, in the last 8 headliners!

You might say that it's an uninspiring set of headliners, but lets just say for a moment that Neil's guess at the most likely unlikely situation (that being Adele has dropped out of the running after being previously up for it) is correct. If you were the Eavii, would you replace her with a massive, established, proper headline act like Radiohead or would you (as they've had to do in previous years) bump one of your subs.

If it came down to giving the nod to a Foals/Ellie Goulding/Weeknd/Tame Impala type act or 'going safe' I don't think you could really blame them for doing the latter.

1 minute ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

You might say that it's an uninspiring set of headliners, but lets just say for a moment that Neil's guess at the most likely unlikely situation (that being Adele has dropped out of the running after being previously up for it) is correct. If you were the Eavii, would you replace her with a massive, established, proper headline act like Radiohead or would you (as they've had to do in previous years) bump one of your subs.

If it came down to giving the nod to a Foals/Ellie Goulding/Weeknd/Tame Impala type act or 'going safe' I don't think you could really blame them for doing the latter.

I don't think they could 'bump' it up again. 

I'm not a fan of Florence, but I don't think anyone begrudged her the chance to headline the festival, what, with having strong connections to the festival, and being 'flavour of the moment'.

But I don't think they could bump Ellie Goulding or Foals to headliner status imo!

I've seen on the Pyramid

Springsteen - Amazing

Blur - A lot of fun

Gorillaz - Decent but expected a bit more.

Stevie - Outstanding

Beyonce - Started well, gradually lost interest as it went on.

Arctic Monkeys - Off a good album but boring live

Rolling Stones - Amazing experience

Mumford and Sons - Pleasant but dull

Arcade Fire - Preferred them on Funeral and Suburbs tour

Kanye West - The worst of the 4 times I've seen him

Rolling Stones was the last time I really enjoyed a Pyramid headliner so it shows there is more to the festival than who tops the billing.

58 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yeah I agree with you, but it just feels so wrong. 2 acts headlining for the 3rd time and 1 for the 4th. The lack of imagination is just awful.

What can you expect though when some bellend makes a petition and some fucker sends EE a death threat over Kanye?

Safety and stress free first options were pretty likely