Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Chris Lfc said:

It kinda reminds me of Noel Gallagher, i watched him at rock wercher and his oasis stuff was pretty good but his other stuff also stinked besides the odd 1-2 songs which i expected better of. And i agree with Paul's solo stuff then comparing it to his Beatles stuff.

Well, yeah. If you compare it to his Beatles stuff it's always going to come up short. However to saw it's all crap is mental. He had a poor time in the 80s (but who didn't?), but there's some great tracks in his post-Beatles back catalogue.

12 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Hooray, some naysayers about McCartney!  When he played in 2004, I found myself walking off, until he played another Beatles tune, when I walked back towards the stage, only to be repelled when he played "Jet" or some other such shit.

And don't get me started on the actual performances - hearing the Penny Lane trumpet played unconvincingly on a cheap keyboard patch is just cheap and lazy.  He wrote+recorded some great songs, but the man has been coasting since The Beatles split.  I ended up walking off entirely before Hey Jude and I was only a little bit bothered.

I'm 37 and love my Beatles records, but his solo stuff stinks + that performance did not do those recordings justice.

*prepares to be downvoted to oblivion, just like every other time this subject comes up!*

I think we must've been at different gigs then, because he opened with Jet at the one I was at...

I think we must've been at different gigs then, because he opened with Jet at the one I was at...

It was a rubbish mediocre gig 12 years ago.  You can forgive my memory of the setlist having slipped a bit.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/paul-mccartney/2004/worthy-farm-pilton-england-3d6b1a7.html

Bloody hell, he hardly played any solo songs.  I think it was that stinker "Let Me Roll It" + "Band On The Run" that soured it for me.  Did I really leave before Hey Jude?  Blimey there was loads left!  

23 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Hooray, some naysayers about McCartney!  When he played in 2004, I found myself walking off, until he played another Beatles tune, when I walked back towards the stage, only to be repelled when he played "Jet" or some other such shit.

And don't get me started on the actual performances - hearing the Penny Lane trumpet played unconvincingly on a cheap keyboard patch is just cheap and lazy.  He wrote+recorded some great songs, but the man has been coasting since The Beatles split.  I ended up walking off entirely before Hey Jude and I was only a little bit bothered.

I'm 37 and love my Beatles records, but his solo stuff stinks + that performance did not do those recordings justice.

*prepares to be downvoted to oblivion, just like every other time this subject comes up!*

Hmm i was pretty drunk that day and when my brother decided to leave halfway through I followed him away from the Pyramid, saying how shit the gig was. Upon nursing my hangover in my tent the following morning I saw the second half of the setlist and have always regretted walking. Especially as I ended up watching Basement Jaxx....

Edited by ericlered

1 minute ago, ericlered said:

Hmm i was pretty drunk that day and when my brother decided to leave halfway through I followed him away from the Pyramid, saying how shit the gig was. Upon nursing my hangover in my tent the following morning I saw the second half of the setlist and always regretted walking. Especially as I ended up watching Basement Jaxx....

I am starting to regret it a bit now, looking at the songs I missed.  Piecing it together, I must have decided to leave after he savaged Penny Lane, like Paul McCartney covering John Shuttleworth covering The Beatles.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I am starting to regret it a bit now, looking at the songs I missed.  Piecing it together, I must have decided to leave after he savaged Penny Lane, like Paul McCartney covering John Shuttleworth covering The Beatles.

Yeah looking at the setlist again, I still definitely regret leaving, sometime around Penny Lane myself I think. BUT I can still see why I wasn't enamoured with the first part of the gig as well, definitely a game of two halves.

Edited by ericlered

How you people can have stood there and watched that version of blackbird, then the emotional tributes to george harrison and john lennon, then seen eleanor rigby performed by the man who actually wrote it, on the main stage of the best festival on earth....and then stormed off in a huff because you didnt like the version of penny lane he did?

Absolutely ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

How you people can have stood there and watched that version of blackbird, then the emotional tributes to george harrison and john lennon, then seen eleanor rigby performed by the man who actually wrote it, on the main stage of the best festival on earth....and then stormed off in a huff because you didnt like the version of penny lane he did?

Absolutely ridiculous.

It wasn't an emotional tribute, he says the same old shit in every concert he does.  George Harrison didn't even like him. The man is a cynical heart string puller. You've been had.

3 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Definitely too harsh. I think Maybe I'm Amazed is one of the bet things he's ever done.

If you like that insincere shouty voice thing he does, maybe. 

I think that song is ok, one of the best things he's done post Beatles.  Tellingly it's from his first album, before he got so lazy.  I'm also pretty fond of The Fireman stuff.

This is partly hyperbole for effect - but I was really was disappointed with the gig.  I'd have stayed to the end today, but I've always liked the idea that there is so much good stuff to do at Glastonbury, that you don't need to stay in front of any stage if you're not feeling it, no matter who they are.

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It wasn't an emotional tribute, he says the same old shit in every concert he does.  George Harrison didn't even like him. The man is a cynical heart string puller. You've been had.

well not really, because I had a fantastic night whereas you were red faced and angry. I have warm, happy memories while you have only bitterness and regret.

I think we know who the winner here is!

5 hours ago, Eks101 said:

Best gig I've been to in a long, long time that one.  Any chances of Johnny Marr playing this year?

I would not be shocked if he supported again. I would quite like The Whip again as well. They are a fantastic band but they seem to have fell from the face of the earth since then.

The support will come from their usual pool of Marr, Jake Evans, The Whip or Factory Floor. I would be shocked if it is anyone other than the ones I have stated. Tim Burgess will probably attempt to dj as well.

Edited by eastynh

59 minutes ago, justperfect said:

I'm not going to bother but if anyone does it was around 08.35 ish (before the coldplay ticket giveaway started)

They played the wrong segment for a few seconds that said “They’ve headlined Glastonbury, and stunned the royal albert hall” then quickly stopped it. Then news reader stepped in and said “They haven’t headlined Glastonbury yet, but it’s only a matter of time” To which Chris Moyles responds “I was just looking into the future”, and it all quickly moves on.

i was listening, and they were talking about coldplay, then they were about to play something else but played the wrong tape, which was going on about somebody presumably coldplay, having played before, nothing suggesting anything about this year, moyles comment was in reference to the new band they were playing

15 minutes ago, pc3036 said:

i was listening, and they were talking about coldplay, then they were about to play something else but played the wrong tape, which was going on about somebody presumably coldplay, having played before, nothing suggesting anything about this year, moyles comment was in reference to the new band they were playing

I'm assuming it will be played again then when they do get announced!

47 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

That was a bit of a silly thing to say. Because they have headlined Glastonbury! Poor attempt at a save 

This. 

What an idiot. No need to say any of that.  Maybe it was planned.

He also said something to the effect that giving to charity makes you a hippie.  I know that wasn't the exact implication. I just really can't stand him.  

As obvious as it seems that Coldplay are playing, I wouldn't read anything into what comes from chris moyles. I thought it was an established fact that he has next to no knowledge of music so can't see him having the faintest idea what a Glastonbury is let alone what goes on there.