Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, tonyblair said:

any Hyde Park shows are gonna be shit. The noise levels are preposterous, half the crowd are on corporate jollys, then there's the curfew

What time is the curfew? I love festivals where the main acts play late at night. I wish Glastonbury headliners started at 11pm. Probably the one thing I'd change.

Are artists being paid more? They must be from gigs, or at least the labels/management must be (presumably to compensate for the drop in revenue from record sales). So is the Glastonbury ticket price rise to deal with this? Or does the price increase just deal with costs of the festival and the artists are still paid roughly the same, with inflation presumably?  

25 minutes ago, Festival Liam said:

Are artists being paid more? They must be from gigs, or at least the labels/management must be (presumably to compensate for the drop in revenue from record sales). So is the Glastonbury ticket price rise to deal with this? Or does the price increase just deal with costs of the festival and the artists are still paid roughly the same, with inflation presumably?  

Possibly just supply and demand?

24 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

Some of that's got to be down to increasing outside intervention - health and safety etc, and expansion.

Yep, from the regulation stuff.

The expansion less-so I'd say, because the numbers have expanded too. If you look at Reading Fest which hasn't really expanded the entertainment it serves up (tho the numbers have increased), that's seen its ticket price go up by around the same.

57 minutes ago, tonyblair said:

any Hyde Park shows are gonna be shit. The noise levels are preposterous, half the crowd are on corporate jollys, then there's the curfew

I've been once to BST in 2014, never again!! for all the reasons above plus the sheer cost too

Edited by shoptildrop

2 hours ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

As a live act Coldplay are far from dull. The can work a crowd very well and their music does translate a lot better in the live environment. Viva La Vida I thought was a very inventive and experimental album (by Coldplay standards) and they haven't matched it since,but as I said,  as a live act they are far from dull. 

Like you Penguin,  me and the friends I attend Glasto with are all rockers at heart and have attended Download, etc many times over the years,  but we all throughly enjoyed them last time they played. If there is something on elsewhere that takes our fancy then we will skip them but in terms of a great communal Glasto atmosphere on a Sunday night to close out the festival there are a lot worse options than Coldplay. 

Agreed - Coldplay are far from dull live. Their 05 set was one of those gigs (file alongside Radiohead 03, Muse 04) that I watched on TV and knew I had to get Glastonbury tickets one day.

Their 2011 set didn't disappoint, and they were even better at the Etihad a year later. Probably the best stadium show I've seen.

i'd have probably contemplated giving Coldplay a go in 2011, but their last three albums have been so shite that i wouldn't waste my time these days. they'll undoubtedly put on a hell of a show, but i'll have far better things to do than hear A Sky Full Of Stars live whilst at Glastonbury. wonder how much of those first four albums they'll even play these days

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

i'd have probably contemplated giving Coldplay a go in 2011, but their last three albums have been so shite that i wouldn't waste my time these days. they'll undoubtedly put on a hell of a show, but i'll have far better things to do than hear A Sky Full Of Stars live whilst at Glastonbury. wonder how much of those first four albums they'll even play these days

This is pretty much where I am. I actually thought Viva La Vida was better and far more interesting than X&Y but everything since then has completed killed my interest in them. Utter MOR,  pop-with-guitars shite. 

Just now, SwedgeAntilles said:

This is pretty much where I am. I actually thought Viva La Vida was better and far more interesting than X&Y but everything since then has completed killed my interest in them. Utter MOR,  pop-with-guitars shite. 

yeah X&Y was a bit shit and clearly just an attempt to replicate what they'd done on AROBTTH, but Viva La Vida was a great album. such a shame they now only play the title track - probably the worst song from it - live these days

everything since has been bollocks. having Avicii produce one of your songs? fuck off

1 hour ago, Festival Liam said:

Yep, and no matter how much we love them, lots of these artists are rich and if there's one truism these days, it's that the rich are getting richer by making the poor get poorer. Sorry times.