Headliners 2016

thewayiam

13 hours ago, Spindles said:

That's pretty much been what I have been thinking, that this was the talk (along with the swansong performance) last year but the timing wasn't right in the end and that the band are going to go balls out on one last big tour and media bonanza.

Coldplay's enthusiasm is infectious live.  I thoroughly enjoyed them despite myself when they played last time and wouldn't begrudge them one last night on that stage, as long as they promise it IS the last time.

I agree with all of that. They stole the show for me in 2011 having not expected to enjoy them as much as I did. However, you know, I know, and everyone else on this forum knows that even if they say they are finished, the likelihood of them headlining the Pyramid again as their comeback gig in a few years time is an nailed on as it is possible to be. 

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

I agree with all of that. They stole the show for me in 2011 having not expected to enjoy them as much as I did. However, you know, I know, and everyone else on this forum knows that even if they say they are finished, the likelihood of them headlining the Pyramid again as their comeback gig in a few years time is an nailed on as it is possible to be. 

I think we all need to take a moment and go read the Coldplay Forums for just a few minutes before returning here with some much needed perspective.

3 hours ago, justperfect said:

Daughter has been dropping massive hints that she quite fancies going to see Beyonce at old Trafford manchester.  Logged on to see how much.... £82+ fees for standing!!!

The world has gone mad

That's actually cheaper than last time. Cheapest seat were £95.00. I like Beyonce, but she can fuck right off there.

12 hours ago, justperfect said:

Daughter has been dropping massive hints that she quite fancies going to see Beyonce at old Trafford manchester.  Logged on to see how much.... £82+ fees for standing!!!

The world has gone mad

Few of my friends have Sunderland tickets already, what's worse is that's not the front of the stage as the golden circle is over £100 before fees 

14 hours ago, justperfect said:

The world has gone mad

I always get so indignant about these sort of facts, then realise that I am doing so from a position of relative/significant/total ignorance.

So, anyone in the know - is there any justification for the sort of prices that are more frequently being charged (£82+ for Beyonce, £75+ for Muse etc.) in terms of costs, overheads and those involved turning an appropriate, proportionate profit? Or are they just taking the piss to ever increasing degrees?

Ben

19 hours ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

I'm no big fan of Coldplay, I like about four or five songs and that's it. However in 2011 my group wanted to watch them so I did, and whisper this....quite enjoyed it. it seemed like a hometown show for them and the crowd were NUTS for them. The atmosphere was great and helped make it a memorable show.

I have my Coldplay moment in the bag now, I doubt it will get better than that for me. I haven't been gripped by any of their material over last five years in the slightest and the Superbowl halftime show lacked a spark for me (as a non-fan anyway). if they are announced I'll see it as an opportunity to be somewhere else and leave them to the masses who do like them and will have a great time.

I personally think coldplay will do well in the slot. They ain't my best band that's for sure but they do put up a good performance whether you like or hate their songs and are more "energetic" than alot of other singers who could possibly headline like Adele for example. Whether alot of u guys like them or hate them theirs no doubt they will have a very large audience aswell.

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

I always get so indignant about these sort of facts, then realise that I am doing so from a position of relative/significant/total ignorance.

So, anyone in the know - is there any justification for the sort of prices that are more frequently being charged (£82+ for Beyonce, £75+ for Muse etc.) in terms of costs, overheads and those involved turning an appropriate, proportionate profit? Or are they just taking the piss to ever increasing degrees?

Ben

Never seen Muse before, but are they not renowned for massively big, over the top stage shows etc? Might be wrong on that. Though I had a quick look at NGHFB tickets last year for the O2 - £65, absolute robbery that, to see one man and his massive ego. Caught him at Beni instead, where my ticket for 4 nights of music was £100. Recently paid £35 each for Pixies tickets at Brixton - don't mind that, as it's one of my favourite bands, they are pretty legendary and don't play over here too often.

For me this is why I don't see the festival bubble bursting for quite a while - as long as gig tickets are at these ridiculous prices, festivals prove such good value for money. 

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

Surely these over inflated tour ticket prices just reflect the fact that they account for a bigger slice of the labels income than previously, given the slump in single sales/downloads nowadays?  Give it a week and their will be another 100 "by popular demand" dates drip fed to the adoring/ripped off masses.

I blame Woolworths demise!

Edited by Glastobuddy

1 minute ago, Glastobuddy said:

Surely these over inflated tour ticket prices just reflect the fact that they account for a bigger slice of the labels income than previously, given the slump in single sales/downloads nowadays?  Give it a week and their will be another 100 "by popular demand" dates drip fed to the adoring/ripped off masses.

I blame Woolworths demise!

Yeah it's definitely partly that. Also people like e.g. Beyonce, to be fair, do put on a pretty big show and there are lots of people both on and off stage so it's not like just four guys and some amps and whatever here are some songs.

PS coincidentally we've had a Woolworths reminisce in the office this morning, we miss that pick n' mix ;)

9 minutes ago, Room to sway said:

Yeah it's definitely partly that. Also people like e.g. Beyonce, to be fair, do put on a pretty big show and there are lots of people both on and off stage so it's not like just four guys and some amps and whatever here are some songs.

PS coincidentally we've had a Woolworths reminisce in the office this morning, we miss that pick n' mix ;)

I worked in the Woolworths offices for 5 years before it went bust... I don't miss it. Some decisions they took were bordering on laughable.

80 quid to see Beyonce, or 75 quid to see Muse sounds a fair whack, and indeed it is ludicrous, but it's the best part of 50 notes to see James at Brixton, and I'm willing to bet that a Beyonce/Muse show is a wee bit more spectacular.

it's like football, ludicrously overpriced at all levels, but punters will keep on paying. 

The time is right 

to start thinking about

a little 

revolution.

Most I've paid for a gig was around 90 quid for McCartney, and he's a fucking Beatle so I can live with that. 

There aren't many acts around today that I'd be comfortable paying more than 60 quid max to see. I think around 30 quid is a fair price for most established acts. 

(Obviously all the above relates to outside the madness of London). 

1 hour ago, thatcrazypenguin said:

coldplay just dont interest me at all, their music is the very definition of zzzzzfest , its the kind of music people who `dont really like any bands but listen to whats on the radio` enjoy....nothing edgy, nothing new, nothing inventive, just dull easy listening cheesy poppy indie your grandmother would enjoy.......the only thing I can imagine duller then them live is adele live....so as you can guess im really hoping the radiohead rumours are true so theres at least someone worth a watch for a headliner this year!

As a live act Coldplay are far from dull. The can work a crowd very well and their music does translate a lot better in the live environment. Viva La Vida I thought was a very inventive and experimental album (by Coldplay standards) and they haven't matched it since,but as I said,  as a live act they are far from dull. 

Like you Penguin,  me and the friends I attend Glasto with are all rockers at heart and have attended Download, etc many times over the years,  but we all throughly enjoyed them last time they played. If there is something on elsewhere that takes our fancy then we will skip them but in terms of a great communal Glasto atmosphere on a Sunday night to close out the festival there are a lot worse options than Coldplay. 

22 minutes ago, Mardy said:

80 quid to see Beyonce, or 75 quid to see Muse sounds a fair whack, and indeed it is ludicrous, but it's the best part of 50 notes to see James at Brixton, and I'm willing to bet that a Beyonce/Muse show is a wee bit more spectacular.

it's like football, ludicrously overpriced at all levels, but punters will keep on paying. 

The time is right 

to start thinking about

a little 

revolution.

Why are we keeping it little?

23 minutes ago, Mardy said:

The time is right 

to start thinking about

a little 

revolution.

Agree 100%.

100 euro for Springsteen in Dublin. 80 for Bryan Ferry of all people. Apart from the financial impact, the notion of enjoying a gig and getting behind an act who charges that much is becoming difficult. 

"Come on everyone, clap and sing along with me".

*looks at massive hole in wallet*

240?cb=20110701192358

I've given up on those sorts of gigs. Don't have enough spare cash, and to be honest, standing at the back of the enormodome paying £5 a pint, a shitload on parking = not the best way to see a band. I'm willing to miss out on all these big occassions on the basis they may do Glastonbury 'one day' which most years we are at, and represents great value.

Seeing Blur in Hyde Park about the week after Glastonbury in 2009 was the revelation. Been to a few gigs there over the years, but seeing them in daylight (due to curfews), with a big london crowd (sorry Londonders, lived there a long time and by no means a london hater, but the crowds are woeful), it dawned on me how rubbish those gigs are. And a 'golden circle'. please spare me. it couldn't have been any more different to the joyous experience the week before.

Edited by Yokel Again

I can live with £70 a ticket when it's a big outdoor show and the main act also has a couple of decent sized support acts too that you'd want to see. Almost becomes like a day festival then.

For example it cost about 65 quid to see the Roses in Finsbury Park a couple of years ago. But we saw them, plus Public Image Ltd, Johnny Marr and Miles Kane so it still felt like value for money (PiL were crap but that's not the point).

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I can live with £70 a ticket when it's a big outdoor show and the main act also has a couple of decent sized support acts too that you'd want to see. Almost becomes like a day festival then.

For example it cost about 65 quid to see the Roses in Finsbury Park a couple of years ago. But we saw them, plus Public Image Ltd, Johnny Marr and Miles Kane so it still felt like value for money (PiL were crap but that's not the point).

Aye that's a fair point actually. Saw the Roses and the Arctic Monkeys in outdoor shows for a similar price and both were great. 

1 minute ago, Festival Liam said:

Glastonbury is getting increasingly better value music wise as the years ago on :) 

definitely. never understood people complaining about the price of the likes of Glastonbury going up when you're paying a third or sometimes half of that for a hundredth of what's on offer