Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

erm i think you need to pay the Earth Wind and Fire thread a visit...

Extremely sad news as Maurice was the creative force behind the band who wrote most of the hits... 2016 has taken yet another huge talent from us.

BUT... I don't think it will make a difference to playing Glastonbury (or elsewhere) as he hadn't toured with them since 1994...

5 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

To be fairer, inviting Bon Iver onto the stage, does not a spectacular stage show make.

Lost In the World should've been massive, don't know how they failed so badly to make it compelling. And christ, that abortion of Hold My Liquor they followed it with was just embarrassing

Yeezus and MBDTF are classic albums but I saw nothing at Glastonbury to convince me that he's skilled as a live performer.

5 hours ago, JoBalls said:

Extremely sad news as Maurice was the creative force behind the band who wrote most of the hits... 2016 has taken yet another huge talent from us.

BUT... I don't think it will make a difference to playing Glastonbury (or elsewhere) as he hadn't toured with them since 1994...

Very sad news 

10 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

It wasn't just Noel, but whatever.

Kanye shouting he was the greatest rock star in the world was shouted specifically to wind up the pricks who demanded he be replaced with a rock band, as was "forgetting" the words to Queen. Kanye stuck two fingers up at the petitioners in spectacular fashion. All the sequelers of "How can he call himself a rock star when he doesn't have a proper haircut, tunes, or instruments!?" were reacting exactly how he wanted them to.

I partially agree with you but you're giving him far too much credit. You're spot on about the 'rockstar' remark but I think he genuinely didn't have a clue when he started Boehmian Rhapsody. I dont believe at all that was a calculated move to anger his detractors. His whole set was clearly under rehearsed and at points he looked out of his depth.

Kanye is clearly a huge star but he doesn't perform regularly in front of such a huge audience and I honestly think he was a bit overawed by it at times. He didn't look comfortable. I've seen him live twice, both in smaller settings, and he was infinitely better both occasions. He looked far more comfortable and in control, and put on genuinely terrific performances. Glastonbury was a mess by his standards and I still maintain he did not perform like his usual self.

I was a huge Kanye fan before Glastonbury but his performance was utterly underwhelming and I've lost a lot of interest in him since.

As a fan of Kanye's last two albums I thoroughly enjoyed the headline set. I think for most of the people I knew they were expecting it to be a bit more hit heavy and to cover of the full songs for things like Jesus Walks, Goldigger etc.The crane thing was the only thing which i felt didn't work. Otherwise, I thought it was a powerful statement of intent from an artist at the peak of his powers. It was massively different from the Coachella set he performed, but I couldn't say it was better or worse, as it was a different type of showmanship. 

I mean, he played for a solid 90 minutes, had little-to-no "ranting" which was speculated beforehand, and the guest he did bring on (Bon Iver) was a damn sight better than Tricky coming on with Beyonce in 2011.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Vocoder interlude aside, it seemed full of hits. I was surrounded by folk bellowing along to things that I barely knew (like Clique and that Rihanna / Macca one).

I do like that Rihanna/Macca one, but it seemed like he was only playing half of it at Glastonbury.  On record, the star is really Rihanna.  It's easy to give pop stars shit, but damn that girl can sing given the right material.

13 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Its too soon after the Legends announcement for another announcement, no?

if there's one thing we know its that announcements are unpredictable, what's more unpredictable than doing them close together

it'll probably just be confirming Coldplay in anything, given the Coldplay article that's just been posted on Efests front page

1 minute ago, siweltrebor said:

Maybe Coldplay will confirm during their Glastonbury themed Superbowl stage/set up.

There wouldn't be much point in that, and I doubt the NFL will let them do it anyway. 

They're going to be in/on the news a fair bit over this weekend because of the Superbowl so that'll help to shift some of the tickets they've still got remaining for this tour I'd have thought. No point announcing while that's happening. 

Coldplay are a good fall back option if there is nothing better on, they certainly know how to do the big stadium/arena/festival show and cearly love Glasto. It's just a shame anyone who's been a few times down the years will have seen them headline before - not even that mad on them and have seen them headline twice!

I think Kanye was still more entertaining than Mumford and Sons on the Pyramid, but Kanye was awful compared to Watch the Throne with Jay Z in London, The Big Chill back in 2011? when he also headlined Coachella that year, early Kanye at V festival in the mid naughies was also better than the strange Glastonbury set.

He missed the spirit of the festival, he left some great songs out and then only a couple of his biggest hits were a snippet after finishing his planned set early. Let alone the 30 minutes or so of random songs about 30-45 mins into the set that completely lost the interest of all his casual interest, the amount of unrest and boredom setting in was awkward in my part of the crowd.

Let alone the perfectionist restarting songs, cherry picker randomness, Bon Iver being a terrible DJ and Queen fiasco.

I'm a big Kanye fan generally but his ego pushed him to make some poor decisions with regard to taking on Glastonbury.

1 minute ago, Yokel Again said:

Coldplay are a good fall back option if there is nothing better on, they certainly know how to do the big stadium/arena/festival show and cearly love Glasto. It's just a shame anyone who's been a few times down the years will have seen them headline before - not even that mad on them and have seen them headline twice!

if the rumours of them going on some kind of hiatus after this tour are true then it may be the last chance they get to headline for a while, so it makes sense for them to do it this year, and what better way to say goodbye to the UK for a bit than headlining the festival that gave them their first boost. regardless of how many times they've played they'll still get one of the biggest headline crowds

of course the hiatus rumours may have been totally blown out of proportion and they could be back in another 4 years :P

Just now, siweltrebor said:

He missed the spirit of the festival, he left some great songs out and then only a couple of his biggest hits were a snippet after finishing his planned set early. Let alone the 30 minutes or so of random songs about 30-45 mins into the set that completely lost the interest of all his casual interest, the amount of unrest and boredom setting in was awkward in my part of the crowd.

Yeh that was when a friend and I gave up and went to see the Neville Staples band then The Mouse Outfit.

Had a much better evening than the rest of the group that stayed by all accounts.