Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, craigb said:

Wasn't there talk a while ago about 6 potential headliner sized acts a possibility with the Other stage having an upgrade last year?

Or was that just a pipe dream?

I thought I remembered reading about that too. In fairness Chemical Brothers headlined most festivals they played last year yet were on the Other stage at Glastonbury. Is the leap between Muse and Chemical Brothers really THAT huge? Sure they are a more popular band, but to the extent where Muse playing the same slot as Chems did last year would seem ridiculous? Especially if Muse are doing some album gimmick and not a full hits set.

Glastonbury sell the idea to Adele that they will/can limit the attention on her (to an extent) by putting her up against another genuinely big act - so Muse on the Other. The site has its two big crowds spread out and they pull off a massive set of headliners. Muse accept, as they know up against Coldplay, Adele and Radiohead (and the Roses if they are in any mix) then they are the weakest link.

Edited by ClementsMike

I've said it before and I've just enquired again, that a gentleman who I used to be in a band with is now working for a touring company in London, the company who work alongside Muse. A member of management of this company has just confirmed that he was under impression that Muse would headlining the Pyramid, and that they would be the first band to have headlined a Friday, a Saturday & a Sunday at Glastonbury (first time was a Sunday, second time a Saturday, which would fit in to Muse playing the Friday night slot if it all came together that way). That's what he was told, but who knows? Things might have changed. Maybe it will be Friday // Muse, Saturday // Radiohead or Adele, Sunday // Coldplay.

[[copy and pasted from the Muse thread but thought it was relevant for here also]]

59 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

Adele Coldplay and Muse is just such a safe boring booking and I'm really sorry if this offends any die hard fans. My first year going and the headliners are quite frankly going to be shit. Unless Radiohead, of course.

What I'm not sure about is how you can call Adele and Coldplay (shit now I know, but previous) a boring boring but then think Radiohead aren't? Fair play if you like them but there is no doubt and do have a dreary sound most of the time. If you want something with a bit of go in it, they are likely to send you to sleep.

39 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the more I hear, the more that what I hear seems to suggest Muse might not be headlining.

Rather astounding if true.

Does this still stand for the Sunday?, if so, what are the chances they could be the Other header after BMTH?

Is FF, Adele/Radiohead, Coldplay with Muse do a special guest slot possibly billed as a 4th headline possible? I don't see them using Radiohead and Muse for headers that's for sure, Radiohead and Coldplay is pushing it.

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

What I'm not sure about is how you can call Adele and Coldplay (shit now I know, but previous) a boring boring but then think Radiohead aren't? Fair play if you like them but there is no doubt and do have a dreary sound most of the time. If you want something with a bit of go in it, they are likely to send you to sleep.

Does this still stand for the Sunday?, if so, what are the chances they could be the Other header after BMTH?

Is FF, Adele/Radiohead, Coldplay with Muse do a special guest slot possibly billed as a 4th headline possible? I don't see them using Radiohead and Muse for headers that's for sure, Radiohead and Coldplay is pushing it.

you really don't understand music very well do you, Sir?

4 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

You really are clueless. 

2 minutes ago, theDandy said:

you really don't understand music very well do you, Sir?

I just prefer not to stand there and feel liked someone is attempting to moan at me and not do it very well. This is what I said the other day, on here you don't understand music unless you listen to, like and play 6music all bloody day lol. 

3 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I just prefer not to stand there and feel liked someone is attempting to moan at me and not do it very well. This is what I said the other day, on here you don't understand music unless you listen to, like and play 6music all bloody day lol. 

Yeah, people fucking moaning all the time...

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

No genuinely, you really don't understand music very well. It has nothing to do with 6music.

3 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

You really are clueless. 

No, I just tell it like it is. You can't ignore that bands that are often related to each other for similar reasons are seen as boring just because your view on them is that they aren't. I like older Coldplay stuff but I'm not going to deny some of it does have a drag affect etc etc. I can appreciate that something I enjoy is boring to someone else, where a lot of you lot on here are stuck in your mind that if you like it, someone else can't think differently......and yet I'm the one that's been frame narrow minded.....christ lol.

2 minutes ago, 5co77ie said:

I'm not sure what I should bet getting from this man?

2 minutes ago, theDandy said:

No genuinely, you really don't understand music very well. It has nothing to do with 6music.

No genuinely I really do. Are you joking?, so 6 Music don't play songs from them, talk about the band in generally and run in-depth stories and profiles on the band, get fans to pick their favorites for them. Steve Lamacq might as well be an unofficial member lol, and all that is fine, but at least it's not bullshit and I recognize it.

16 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

lol. wow. Have fun at Adele mate, I'm sure her new album is a banger x

14 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

I would listen to 6 Music all day except the radio won't even play my jams 

6 Music rarely do plays jams, it's not often that sort of radio station.

12 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

This, for the record i think Radiohead are dreary too. Does that mean i don't understand music very well?

Probably, yeah.

They are but that's not me telling someone they can't like them, but you can appreciate another person's opinion and double standard it by two other acts that are similarly both seen in the same way. There is defending one of them as different because you like them and then there is cutting the bullshit out and telling it like it is.

2 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

lol. wow. Have fun at Adele mate, I'm sure her new album is a banger x

I don't know that I would go and see her she is no dreary to some people than Radiohead/Coldplay/Muse are to some others. Muse maybe not so much given their earlier more upbeat riff stuff, not the latest Drones bull that is poorly attempting to do something.