Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Is Rihanna in the running? New album out today and certainly big enough. 

Yeah, to an extent. The way her tour is set up though, she isn't playing consecutive days in Europe and I guess that's a conscious choice, and you better believe she has shows on Friday and Monday in the UK so I don't think she's as strong a contender as if those dates were one more day out of the way, but it's still a possibility.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

stuck a tenner on Rihanna doing the Saturday, so that'd be nice, although i'm not expecting it. new album isn't exactly your typical pop bangers/festival pleasers either, although i guess she's got enough of them in her catalogs for that to not be a problem

The way people are talking about Rihanna's star fading makes me think that this year is probably the last possible opportunity there could've been. The way you've described the new album and the fact that it was given away free doesn't really show much for her future. Though I suppose she's still doing a stadium tour - no idea how it's selling, like.

8 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

stuck a tenner on Rihanna doing the Saturday, so that'd be nice, although i'm not expecting it. new album isn't exactly your typical pop bangers/festival pleasers either, although i guess she's got enough of them in her catalogs for that to not be a problem

She seems like the 2nd most likely female contender for the headliner slot after Adele. So if adele doesn't wanna do it, she's totally in with a chance

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The way people are talking about Rihanna's star fading makes me think that this year is probably the last possible opportunity there could've been. The way you've described the new album and the fact that it was given away free doesn't really show much for her future. Though I suppose she's still doing a stadium tour - no idea how it's selling, like.

the album's clearly a deliberate attempt to move away from the type of stuff she's known for though, kind of like Beyonce's last album (although to much less effect). bit underwhelming after the three year wait, but i doubt it'll damage her star too much, and it'll no doubt be business as usual come the next album

agree that if she were to headline then her time is now, although even with the dates making it look unlikely there's just something that's making me think it won't happen

7 hours ago, 6t6o6m said:

I'm going to say 5. Morning view is my favourite but I actually don't mind light grenades. The recent 2 are very questionable. Play them early, 8 songs setlist;

meglomaniac

certain shade of green

wish you were here

Anna molly

dig

pardon me

Drive

aquesous transmission

Yeah, Incubus can certainly still put together a great set.

There are some good tracks on the last two albums and they aren't bad but you have to be in the right mood to listen to them, which I haven't been.ha ha.

As you say, first 5 albums are great.

2 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

I would guess reading and Leeds as the headliners they have so far won't have been that expensive. 

the info I heard specifically said not R/L, but wasn't specific on much else.

It's possible the stuff i heard is wrong, tho mostly from that source it's reliable.

I'm wondering if they might be doing a show at Knebworth, as there don't seem to be many realistic options left.