Headliners 2016

thewayiam

7 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

if Adele plays it's as a headliner or nothing - she's the biggest act in the world right now. having her anywhere else but as headliner would be ludicrous 

Yeah I agree. But just can't imagine her headlining. However I think she would fit in that slot nicely. And with the growing reputation of that slot it was just a thought afte Emily's comment. 

As mentioned crowd control would be dangerous though! 

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, russycarps said:

The main problem is that 2 of the rumoured acts have already headlined 5 times before.

That's a bit shit really.

There's a reason they are constantly invited back? They deliver.

I'm guna be in a muddy field pissed with a group of mates. I want to have a sing and a dance and enjoy myself.

Who else is there anyway?

5 minutes ago, Ben Holland said:

There's a reason they are constantly invited back? They deliver.

I'm guna be in a muddy field pissed with a group of mates. I want to have a sing and a dance and enjoy myself.

Who else is there anyway?

i'm sure there's probably a thread full of suggestions on here somewhere :P 

41 minutes ago, Ben Holland said:

My word, some people on here think a lot of themselves don't they? I realise everyone is entitled to an opinion but don't confuse that for speaking for everyone else.

your ideal 3 headliners are the person next to you in the queue to get in worst nightmare.

After the shambles of last year's headliners, 2016 was always going to be safe bets n big commercial acts.

Give me the shambles of 2015 everyday of the week compared the repetitive drivel that's been rumoured for this year, Kanye was different (I had one of the best 45 mins I've ever had in front of the pyramid before it went south) Florence deserved her chance and The Who won't ever be back, at least their was some talking points, this years just looking bland 

And besides, we all just want Radiohead anyway? Give us that, and there won't need to be any abuse from anybody, it's not hard is it

4 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Give me the shambles of 2015 everyday of the week compared the repetitive drivel that's been rumoured for this year, Kanye was different (I had one of the best 45 mins I've ever had in front of the pyramid before it went south) Florence deserved her chance and The Who won't ever be back, at least their was some talking points, this years just looking bland 

And besides, we all just want Radiohead anyway? Give us that, and there won't need to be any abuse from anybody, it's not hard is it

1 minute ago, Alan_C said:

Stone Roses>Radiohead

Tin helmet not required.

I think there'd be ample moaning about it being old farts if either Radiohead or the SR's were booked these days tbh. Too many people with opinions for everyone with one to be satisfied these days.

37 minutes ago, russycarps said:

The main problem is that 2 of the rumoured acts have already headlined 5 times before.

That's a bit shit really.

maybe for some of the whingers on here who go every year for the last 15+ years.

the vast majority of people at Glastonbury 2016 won't have seen Coldplay/Muse there before, and will be quite happy with them headlining.

3 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

I think there'd be ample moaning about it being old farts if either Radiohead or the SR's were booked these days tbh. Too many people with opinions for everyone with one to be satisfied these days.

they could at least try for those of us with good opinions about cool bands though.

#TeamBizkit2016

3 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Aye. Roses have never played though. People couldn't complaint if it was a mix of Roses, Foo's and Adele. None of them have headlined. Radiohead have wrote nothing that will appeal to 90% of the audience since last time they headlined. Most people would be waiting for The Bends and OK Computer tracks. You can be as big a Radiohead fanboy as you want, but that is fact.

9 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

They are old farts, doesn't mean the are tremendously talented and timeless old farts, I fear you are right though, there is only one saviour for the pyramid headline slot 

Hot Chip 

Edited by Mezhyp1

2015's trio was pretty much as good as it's gonna get in terms of range of genres catered for and ages appealed to, and look how much crap was thrown their way over it. You could forgive Emily for just booking people regardless of what the 'Glastonbury faithful' think after that tbh.

15 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

Aye. Roses have never played though. People couldn't complaint if it was a mix of Roses, Foo's and Adele. None of them have headlined. Radiohead have wrote nothing that will appeal to 90% of the audience since last time they headlined. Most people would be waiting for The Bends and OK Computer tracks. You can be as big a Radiohead fanboy as you want, but that is fact.

I think after 13 years of attendee churn Radiohead would essentially be a debut headliner tbh. A bit like when Blur were in the frame for 2015 and people were all like "oh yeah they've already played the hits so they'll be able to do a setlist with 20 deep cuts" - er, no, they'd play more or less the same setlist as 2009 cos that was six years ago not last week.

Edited by Zac Quinn

31 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

maybe for some of the whingers on here who go every year for the last 15+ years.

the vast majority of people at Glastonbury 2016 won't have seen Coldplay/Muse there before, and will be quite happy with them headlining.

True.

It's not going to stop me moaning about it though.

25 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

I think after 13 years of attendee churn Radiohead would essentially be a debut headliner tbh. A bit like when Blur were in the frame for 2015 and people were all like "oh yeah they've already played the hits so they'll be able to do a setlist with 20 deep cuts" - er, no, they'd play more or less the same setlist as 2009 cos that was six years ago not last week.

I was wanting Blur this year. I agree its a long time since Radiohead played, but some people seem to want one rule for one band, then one for their favourite. Coldplay have definitely done overkill. Muse not so much (even though i don't rate anything they've done for years). Blur could easily have headlined this year as well. Could have done about 6 new very good songs, 5 or 6 staples and for the rest they were playing stuff like Stereotypes and Message Center which would have replaced stuff like Advert and Death Of A Party. Dunno why I'm rambling on about this actually, probably stating the obvious!

2 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I am in the Noel Gallagher camp when it comes to Radiohead.

2 hours ago, Alan_C said:

Stone Roses>Radiohead

Tin helmet not required.

I quite agree with you.

2 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

They are old farts, doesn't mean the are tremendously talented and timeless old farts, I fear you are right though, there is only one saviour for the pyramid headline slot 

Hot Chip 

I would not say no to Hot Chip headlining. In fact they are part of the trio of bands I never bore of. It is bewildering to me how they are not huge and it is fair to say I am not in the Noel Gallagher camp when it comes to Hot Chip.

Edited by eastynh

I will slightly defend Noel on the Hot Chop comment, in that I don't think he was really saying anything negative about them, other than in 20 years they wouldn't have made a massive impact for a lot of people to care. Slightly exaggerated but he's right (a point that he shouldn't have made). I would guess he probably does like them although I could be wrong. I love Noel but he has pissed me off quite a lot since Oasis finished. I'm firmly on Liam's side in the stupid jibe game, and I think Noel is throwing digs in at artists he should be supporting if anything. The comment about Tim Burgess not long ago pissed me off. Why on earth he made that I don't know. Tim comes across as a top man and he is in the same field as Noel. All this while he is licking Bono and Chris Martin's arse. Think what you want about Liam, but at least he says what he thinks, without any agenda behind it.

2 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

I will slightly defend Noel on the Hot Chop comment, in that I don't think he was really saying anything negative about them, other than in 20 years they wouldn't have made a massive impact for a lot of people to care. Slightly exaggerated but he's right (a point that he shouldn't have made). I would guess he probably does like them although I could be wrong. I love Noel but he has pissed me off quite a lot since Oasis finished. I'm firmly on Liam's side in the stupid jibe game, and I think Noel is throwing digs in at artists he should be supporting if anything. The comment about Tim Burgess not long ago pissed me off. Why on earth he made that I don't know. Tim comes across as a top man and he is in the same field as Noel. All this while he is licking Bono and Chris Martin's arse. Think what you want about Liam, but at least he says what he thinks, without any agenda behind it.

Noel's just an irredeemably bad person, we need to face up to that. He's not conducive to a healthy society, our elected representatives should show some leadership and take the decision that the only thing left to do is burn him alive. Once he's gone we can start planning for how a world without him will be; what we can achieve, how things can be better. First, we need him gone, him and everything he stands for.

Still though, 95% of this country think Noel is an innocent messiah, while Liam is an absolute nasty yob. It baffles me in some ways, in other ways though its a bit obvious why. Noel knows what he's doing.