Headliners 2016

thewayiam

So, Coldplay's new album has leaked and as expected it's not particularly great. There's a few decent enough songs on it in Birds, Up & Up, Adventure of a Lifetime and Army of One but even then none of them are up there with their best stuff. Amazing Day might be their dullest song yet and Hymn for the Weekend doesn't really work. 

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

So, Coldplay's new album has leaked and as expected it's not particularly great. There's a few decent enough songs on it in Birds, Up & Up, Adventure of a Lifetime and Army of One but even then none of them are up there with their best stuff. Amazing Day might be their dullest song yet and Hymn for the Weekend doesn't really work. 

Forgot that was out so soon. I'll probably give it a listen soon for the few nice tracks it'll have.

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

which one features Gwyneth? thats the only one i care about

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

not even in a 'why the hell is she on this song? this is hilarious' kind of way?

Not really, I hardly noticed her to be honest. Don't think she sings on more than a couple of lines.

Here it is anyway 

http://m.pitchfork.com/news/62283-coldplay-share-new-track-everglow/

Just now, FloorFiller said:

downloading the album now so i'll listen to it when i decide to give it a listen. surely can't be any worse than Ghost Stories

I'm not sure yet. Ghost Stories was bland but it at least had Midnight which was great. This just feels like a worse version of Mylo Xyloto without the big hits.

10 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

I still think Parachutes and A Rush Of Blood are brilliant albums, but I barely have any interest in anything since. 

Viva La Vida & Death and All His Friends was actually really good. had a lot of time for that album when it was released. everything since has been pretty shitty

I think A Rush of Blood to the Head is comfortably their best but Viva La Vida and Parachutes are good albums too. Viva La Vida in particular has a lot of variety on it, by Coldplay's standards anyway. I think X&Y and Mylo Xyloto are decent enough too if a bit long and patchy. 

Also, I know Chris Martin isn't the best lyricist but surely even he's above writing a chorus of "I, oh I, I'm feeling drunk and high" :lol:

Shiver and Politik are fucking fantastic. I used to really like Coldplay back then. The two times i could have seen them for nowt I've went elsewhere through. Chems at Glastonbury and Primal Scream at T 2011. 

3 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

Nah Amazing Day is no worse than most of X&Y. Although I suppose I probably reacted to it favourably cos of how low my expectations were for it after that live performance at the American festival.

Overall I think it's probably one Viva La Vida-esque anthem away from a decent album. The Beyonce track has all the ingredients of a smash, only to be let down by the structure. And the production's as good as ever.

Hope it isn't their last album but the last 30 seconds of Up&Up make it sound like it.

Edited by Zac Quinn

2 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

I'm not sure yet. Ghost Stories was bland but it at least had Midnight which was great. This just feels like a worse version of Mylo Xyloto without the big hits.

Midnight is great, although mostly because of Jon Hopkins' production. his remix of it is great too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDv6OSpiuAI

10 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Overall I think it's probably one Viva La Vida-esque anthem away from a decent album. The Beyonce track has all the ingredients of a smash, only to be let down by the structure. And the production's as good as ever.

I agree with that. I don't think the albums that much worse than most of the album tracks on Mylo Xyloto but it at least had some big hits in Paradise and Charlie Brown.

6 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Midnight is great, although mostly because of Jon Hopkins' production. his remix of it is great too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDv6OSpiuAI

I'd like to see them do more stuff like that, I know they've worked with Jon Hopkins quite often before that but they've never really done anything else like Midnight.

12 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Hope it isn't their last album but the last 30 seconds of Up&Up make it sound like it.

*plays last 30 seconds of Up&Up*

why d'you say/think that? i doubt it's gonna be their last album. maybe last for a while - i mean, Chris Martin needs time to write a solo album at some point, right? - but they'll be back

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

why d'you say/think that? i doubt it's gonna be their last album. maybe last for a while - i mean, Chris Martin needs time to write a solo album at some point, right? - but they'll be back

X Marks the Spot off the new album is what I imagine a Chris Martin solo album would end up like and if I'm right then I really don't want one.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

It just feels a bit winding up-y? Idk.

i bet after all this they continue as normal and we all just read far too much in to.. whatever he said, but i'd like to think that they were booked again for Glastonbury because it may be the last time it can happen for a while rather than the organisers falling back on the same old headliners. makes the booking seem significantly less shitty in my eyes

also, with them now being booked up in Amsterdam for the Friday and only doing two nights on the run when playing the same venue twice, nailed on for the Sunday right?

It is mad that Coldplay might headline again so soon already. Although I would love to see them only because I never got to.

I remember the first time I ever watched Glastonbury on TV was the evening of my 11th birthday and Coldplay were on the Pyramid opening with Politik. I'd only heard Rush of Blood to the Head because of my dad but my mind was blown by how good it was (I was 11) and since then I wished every year that I was at the festival. So it'd be nice to spend my 25th birthday celebrations finally seeing them on that stage I suppose.