Headliners 2016

thewayiam

27 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Dido and adele are similar in terms of popularity arent they? Was dido 90s? or early 2000s?

either way she was complete dung, but enormous for a couple of albums. 

Adele is way bigger. The BBC have only done those sort of specials for people like Bowie and Madonna. At the rate shes going shes going to break 60m in sales over two albums.

Mrs Nal had the new album on. Made the mistake of getting it for her. Its pooh.

Edited by The Nal

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Dido and adele are similar in terms of popularity arent they? Was dido 90s? or early 2000s?

I think Dido was more of a one (or two) huge hit wonder, then her career basically flopped. Whereas Adeles started relatively small scale and has continued to grow and grow in terms of both popularity and record sales, so hard to really compare the two. Can't say I am a fan of either but reckon Adele seems more likable and credible to a wide audience. 

Coldplay and Adele together surely can't happen, though?

28 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Adele is far far bigger. She has broken sales records both here and in the US (a feat when you consider the state of physical sales at the moment), and she will soon enough be ranking alongside some of the best selling British acts of all time. And unlike Dido, Adele on her 3rd album seems to not be losing any steam, but actually getting even bigger.

Edited by nban2010

39 minutes ago, russycarps said:

It was in the 2000s, I saw her at V Fest one year.

And actually, she was surprisingly good live. It's not my thing, and because of that rather wet rep she has I really didn't want to like her, but ended up walking away thinking she did a very decent job of it, and she was far from the worst act i saw that weekend (mind you, it was V fest, so there was probably nothing at all that interested me personally).

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

It was in the 2000s, I saw her at V Fest one year.

And actually, she was surprisingly good live. It's not my thing, and because of that rather wet rep she has I really didn't want to like her, but ended up walking away thinking she did a very decent job of it, and she was far from the worst act i saw that weekend (mind you, it was V fest, so there was probably nothing at all that interested me personally).

did she headline?

She was EVERYWHERE for a year or two, yet didnt play glastonbury. Was that because back then they didnt want to book that sort of act I wonder? though I suppose they did have sugababes playing around that time, but werent they quite "edgy" at first? I cant remember.

I hated dido. She was out the same time as david gray, who was the male replica of her. Did he do glastonbury? I've no idea. He used to drive me mad. Early 2000s had just as much junk as we do now when you think about it.

7 minutes ago, russycarps said:

did she headline?

She was EVERYWHERE for a year or two, yet didnt play glastonbury. Was that because back then they didnt want to book that sort of act I wonder? though I suppose they did have sugababes playing around that time, but werent they quite "edgy" at first? I cant remember.

I hated dido. She was out the same time as david gray, who was the male replica of her. Did he do glastonbury? I've no idea. He used to drive me mad. Early 2000s had just as much junk as we do now when you think about it.

Yep.  He played just as Babylon was out, and I saw him on the Pyramid in 2000(replacing Burt Bacharach) in the afternoon and not knowing who he was. He was back in 2003 to sub.

He wasn't as big as all that, according to Wikipedia.  Babylon was his biggest hit, peaking at No.5.

9 minutes ago, russycarps said:

did she headline?

It was the same year Muse headlined Glastonbury for the first time (which ever year that was), and the general view was "who? They're not big enough".

Dido was announced as headliner for V, and Muse were subbing her. But then Muse went mega after headlining Glasto and then everyone thought they were headliners, and they got moved above Dido on the running order, so they played last and her before them.

I do confess to owning loads of stuff with Dido on - mostly the Faithless stuff, tho I also have a decent-ish remix (by her bruv, I think) of one of her tunes (tho it was plucked from a bargain bin).

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yep.  He played just as Babylon was out, and I saw him on the Pyramid in 2000(replacing Burt Bacharach) in the afternoon and not knowing who he was. He was back in 2003 to sub.

He wasn't as big as all that, according to Wikipedia.  Babylon was his biggest hit, peaking at No.5.

blimey I thought he was huge. Probably his music was used in a load of adverts or something. I can hear that babylon song now in my head!

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

It was the same year Muse headlined Glastonbury for the first time (which ever year that was), and the general view was "who? They're not big enough".

Dido was announced as headliner for V, and Muse were subbing her. But then Muse went mega after headlining Glasto and then everyone thought they were headliners, and they got moved above Dido on the running order, so they played last and her before them.

I do confess to owning loads of stuff with Dido on - mostly the Faithless stuff, tho I also have a decent-ish remix (by her bruv, I think) of one of her tunes (tho it was plucked from a bargain bin).

Fair dos. I dont know much about her faithless stuff. I have just googled her though and found out her real name is Florian Cloud de Bounevialle Armstrong FFS!

Just now, russycarps said:

Fair dos. I dont know much about her faithless stuff. I have just googled her though and found out her real name is Florian Cloud de Bounevialle Armstrong FFS!

her brother is Rollo of Faithless, and she's the female voice on most if not all of their stuff up until she got her own fame via that Eminem song (which would have been around 2000, I guess).

4 minutes ago, russycarps said:

blimey I thought he was huge. Probably his music was used in a load of adverts or something. I can hear that babylon song now in my head!

That album, 'White Ladder', was advertised incessantly for about a year. Every mum in the country must've got that for a birthday or Christmas. Several songs were also used in the film 'This Year's Love'. 

For anyone interested, his previous album, 'Sell, Sell, Sell', is much less 'commercial', and much better (in my opinion).

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

did he fill-in as headliner one year because someone cancelled? Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else.

He played instead of Burt Bacarach I think on Sunday in 2000, just as Bablyon was out. Before REM in 03 when his next album was out. Don't recall him playing any other time nor headlining, but might be wrong.

37 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

White Ladder was one of the biggest selling albums of the 00s in Britain and, at least a couple of years back, the biggest selling album ever in Ireland. (Here endeth my David Gray knowledge.)

No surprise, in my opinion it's a belter. One of those albums you go back to once a year and are pleasantly surprised at how much better it is than you expected

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Thomson Twins got invited back when they were a mega-pop act, tho they'd played the fest years before when an underground experimental group.

Because of that the booking of them wasn't quite what it seems at first glance.

I quite liked The Thompson Twins. I would not have them down as pop in the Take That sense.

On the subject of Rollo, any excuse to post this. It is fair to say I loved this back in the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpjDVQf-zh0

3 hours ago, congopowers said:

Alison Moyet!! (apart from the universal megamillion success .)

and if yazoo were playing, I'm not ashamed to admit I'd probably go along and see them!

No shame in liking Yazoo. Vince Clark is a stone cold legend in my eyes. I would go and watch all 3 of his incarnations if any were on (Although I doubt DM would let him play with them).

The amount of hits Vince Clark has been behind is unreal. He is not daft, probably made a shedload of money and could walk down the street without anyone recognising him.