Headliners 2016

thewayiam

16 hours ago, MichaelsBeard said:

I find it bemusing that booking the biggest act in the world. One who is knocking back records worldwide. Writes and performs her own songs, who barely tours and likes the festival could be described as underwhelming. 

Does Adele really write all her own songs though? Her recent album has a co writer on every song including Max Martin who co wrote a lot of 1989 too. I'm not saying Adele or Taylor Swift aren't talented but its strange for them to give up so much of their publishing to other people if they did write the songs themselves.

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

Does Adele really write all her own songs though? Her recent album has a co writer on every song including Max Martin who co wrote a lot of 1989 too. I'm not saying Adele or Taylor Swift aren't talented but its strange for them to give up so much of their publishing to other people if they did write the songs themselves.

Seems like she has a brigade of people helping her write her songs. It's not uncommon in pop music though.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/6770462/adele-25-songwriters-producers-credits

Edited by russycarps

5 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

Didn't realise Max Martin wrote a lot of her stuff, that's interesting. He's now 3rd behind Lennon and McCartney on number 1's apparently.

7 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Seems like she has a brigade of people helping her write her songs. It's not uncommon in pop music though.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/6770462/adele-25-songwriters-producers-credits

She wrote more of her debut album herself though, working with co writers seems to a price artists pay for being on a major label. 

17 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

She wrote more of her debut album herself though, working with co writers seems to a price artists pay for being on a major label. 

I guess it's not uncommon to get writers block after your debut album. That's why "the difficult second album" tends to be shit. Looks like she was smart enough to get a helping hand to prevent that from happening. She has obviously got very good advisers.

Edited by russycarps

25 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

The co-writers can be a sign of Write a word, claim a third, but it's not always just a performer cashing in. Take That have lots of co-writers, despite the fact that Gary Barlow has been doing this shit for years - he was a songwriter for other artists for the years when Take That was away.  The credits probably do reflect his input.  Bowie had truckloads of collaborators on some records, although admittedly his biggest hits were written by Nile Rogers.  And Brian Wilson used to share writing credits with random people in the 60s despite the fact the he wrote, arranged and produced 95% of the records back then. 

So, it's hard to tell, but yeah - you do wonder how much of an artistic statement a song really is when there are two other co-writers and one of them produced the track.  Or when the writing credits are "Adkins, Bruno Mars, Philip Lawrencem Christopher Brody Brown"

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The co-writers can be a sign of Write a word, claim a third, but it's not always just a performer cashing in. Take That have lots of co-writers, despite the fact that Gary Barlow has been doing this shit for years - he was a songwriter for other artists for the years when Take That was away.  The credits probably do reflect his input.  Bowie had truckloads of collaborators on some records, although admittedly his biggest hits were written by Nile Rogers.  And Brian Wilson used to share writing credits with random people in the 60s despite the fact the he wrote, arranged and produced 95% of the records back then. 

So, it's hard to tell, but yeah - you do wonder how much of an artistic statement a song really is when there are two other co-writers and one of them produced the track.  Or when the writing credits are "Adkins, Bruno Mars, Philip Lawrencem Christopher Brody Brown"

Nile Rodgers wrote everybody's biggest hits...

1 minute ago, russycarps said:

I guess it's not uncommon to get writers block after your debut album. That's why "the difficult second album" tends to be shit. Looks like she was smart enough to get a helping hand to prevent that from happening. She has obviously got very good advisers.

Yeah, Wikipedia says she did suffer from writer's block.

From what I've heard the 2nd album problem is more because a gigging band can write loads of songs in the years before they're signed, so the  debut is effectively a "best of"; then they have write a whole other career's worth of songs pretty quickly so that the public don't forget about them.

46 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

So, it's hard to tell, but yeah - you do wonder how much of an artistic statement a song really is when there are two other co-writers and one of them produced the track. 

Yeah I've heard stories of producers adding a tambourine in the background of a song by a new artist just to get performance royalties, its pretty shady. 

13 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

Yeah I've heard stories of producers adding a tambourine in the background of a song by a new artist just to get performance royalties, its pretty shady. 

I'm ambivalent about the practice.  If for the sake of argument you've written a song on Adele's new album on your own, then it's going to sell like the bucketload and get you a new house even if it's the sound of a wet fart.  Maybe Adele changing a word and getting a slice of the money is actually a fair trade in that situation.  Sometimes it's not the song that's making it sell, it's the recording artist.  But the royalties system is set up to primarily reward songwriters - and rightfully so, since the song is often the most important factor in the success of a record - but not always.

The whole royalty system is a bit weird compared to other walks of life.  I don't get royalties for 80 years  for web-sites I write.  Even if they do make my clients loads of dosh.

19 hours ago, dentalplan said:
12 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm ambivalent about the practice.  If for the sake of argument you've written a song on Adele's new album on your own, then it's going to sell like the bucketload and get you a new house even if it's the sound of a wet fart.  Maybe Adele changing a word and getting a slice of the money is actually a fair trade in that situation.  Sometimes it's not the song that's making it sell, it's the recording artist.  But the royalties system is set up to primarily reward songwriters - and rightfully so, since the song is often the most important factor in the success of a record - but not always.

The whole royalty system is a bit weird compared to other walks of life.  I don't get royalties for 80 years  for web-sites I write.  Even if they do make my clients loads of dosh.

Flo has bags of artistic merit get the f out.

But the example he gave is shady, no?

Also re royalties on websites, that's your decision :) I once agreed to write a website for a friend in exchange for 10% of all future sales. Worked for both of us!

On topic: The three rumoured headliners would be pretty dull, let's be fair. As others have said, while there's always something interesting going on elsewhere there's something magical about a great act closing the Pyramid.

3 hours ago, russycarps said:

Shakespeares sister werent megastars though. They were just a shit band that for some reason the bookers thought was a good idea, presumably due to that one garbage song. They werent the adele/beyonce/coldplay of their day. I dont know anything about the thomson twins so cant comment on that.

None of the big pop acts of the day got a look in, otherwise we'd have had headliners like take that, bros, spice girls etc.

That's all you need to know. It's a classic

3 hours ago, addicted2noise said:

Swifty is the sole writer on the majority of Red, and probably-not-coincidentally it's far better than 1989, so hopefully she'll go back to working alone for her next record. 

4 hours ago, ClementsMike said:

Have to say, if it is Coldplay and Adele, which 'seems' likely then they have so much in common, being massive UK based sellers, and both with very current albums out that Muse really would look like a real afterthought should thay play. Dragging around an old album and basically repeating the majority of the 2010 set surely? It makes zero sense. I cant see it not being someone with much more history/heritage. Also, if logic states that Muse are a Foo Fighters stand in, it seems way to early to be falling to 'back up plans', surely?

How can it be too early for back up plans? If they wanted Foos and have already found out they're unavailable, anyone they then turn to is a back plan.

And Muse are currently playing 6/7 songs they played in 2010, so not the majority of the set.

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There isn't an 80s / 90s equivalent of Adele, so there isn't a really useful analogy that you can draw.

You'd need to look back to someone like...I dunno...Dusty Springfield or something, but even then she never achieved anywhere near that level of success.

Alison Moyet!! (apart from the universal megamillion success .)

and if yazoo were playing, I'm not ashamed to admit I'd probably go along and see them!

Edited by congopowers

22 minutes ago, congopowers said:

Alison Moyet!! (apart from the universal megamillion success .)

and if yazoo were playing, I'm not ashamed to admit I'd probably go along and see them!

And just for the record, Alison Moyet did indeed play in the early 90s..