Headliners 2016

thewayiam

Just now, ghostdancer1 said:

Red Hot Chili Peppers are headlining multiple European festivals around Glastonbury. loads of well-known songs, never headlined before.

why are they ruled out?

story is that they offered to play for free a few years back and Eavis turned them down, plus they're neither a 'legend' or currently popular/huge so they'd be a bit of an odd booking

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

story is that they offered to play for free a few years back and Eavis turned them down, plus they're neither a 'legend' or currently popular/huge so they'd be a bit of an odd booking

is there any actual substance to that rumour? anyway, I doubt Emily and Nick have any beef with them playing.

they're clearly large enough to headline. last 2 (shit) albums have gone to no.1 and headlining loads of massive European festivals. plenty of huge hits that people know.

Edited by ghostdancer1

Just now, Ben Holland said:

Muse have a two for two glasto headline record tbf. Incredible both occasions. Same cant be said for many other acts.

I get the point about it being samey but Muse rarely fail to deliver.

i thought they were incredibly boring in 2010 (and that was back when i was a huge fan) but many seem to disagree

1 minute ago, mrf said:

That was my point!

oops i totally misread your post! fair play

1 minute ago, ghostdancer1 said:

is there any actual substance to that rumour?

they're clearly large enough to headline. last 2 (shit) albums have gone to no.1 and headlining loads of massive European festivals. plenty of huge hits that people know.

not sure on the substance but it's a story that's always getting brought up on here. could be utter shite for all i know. but you'd think that they would've been rebooked in the twenty two years since they pulled out in '93. there must be a reason they haven't been, and i imagine it's because Eavis doesn't fancy them a worthy headliner anymore

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

not sure on the substance but it's a story that's always getting brought up on here. could be utter shite for all i know. but you'd think that they would've been rebooked in the twenty two years since they pulled out in '93. there must be a reason they haven't been, and i imagine it's because Eavis doesn't fancy them a worthy headliner anymore

well it took the Foo Fighters 17 years to be re-booked....

if there is truth to that rumour then fair enough, but as I said above, my understanding is that Emily and Nick are far more responsible for the headliners than Michael these days, and I can't imagine some unknown 2 decade-old grudge would still be held.

Edited by ghostdancer1

2 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

well it took the Foo Fighters 17 years to be re-booked....

if there is truth to that rumour then fair enough, but as I said above, my understanding is that Emily and Nick are far more responsible for the headliners than Michael these days, and I can't imagine some unknown 2 decade-old grudge would still be held.

i don't think them not being rebooked would be down to a grudge - i think it'd be more down to Emily realising that they're totally irrelevant these days and there isn't much demand for them. there must be a reason why the only festival they've headlined in the UK in years has been the dad-rock fest IOW

1 minute ago, russycarps said:

Shame she hasn't got the songs..

she wouldn't have a flawless set - there'd be definite moments (the slow piano ballad album tracks, to be exact) that would drag it down, but she's got her fair share of big hitters that would have that crowd belting out in unison. the thought of hearing Someone Like You live makes me cringe, but the thought of hearing Rolling In The Deep and Set Fire To The Rain gives me goosebumps. the place would go off

I think Adele had a gorgeous voice and some lovely tunes. But I wouldnt want to watch her live. Partly cos I will cry at the bits where "shes talking to me with these lyrics!!" (I will have been drinking) and partly cos I want a whirling dervish of an ending to the night!

29 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

i don't think them not being rebooked would be down to a grudge - i think it'd be more down to Emily realising that they're totally irrelevant these days and there isn't much demand for them. there must be a reason why the only festival they've headlined in the UK in years has been the dad-rock fest IOW

well if they're relevant enough to still be having no.1 albums here and getting booked to headline big European festivals then I think they're in with a decent shout.

just checked and they have a new album due in 2016, so ideal for the often-quoted "first touring cycle of a new album" thing for Glastonbury.

Edited by ghostdancer1