Headliners 2016

thewayiam

It was though.  There was loads and loads of grumbling about the youngest act not having released an album for six years.

Sure, but that was mostly over the lack of youth rather than the acts being too similar musically.

I've not seen a year where there wasn't some grumbling for one reason or another about the headliners, Overall 2009 probably had less than average and less than the years either side (with the Jay Z situation in 2008 and the laughable complaints prior to the 2010 festival that Stevie Wonder wasn't big enough).

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, but that was mostly over the lack of youth rather than the acts being too similar musically.

I've not seen a year where there wasn't some grumbling for one reason or another about the headliners, Overall 2009 probably had less than average and less than the years either side (with the Jay Z situation in 2008 and the laughable complaints prior to the 2010 festival that Stevie Wonder wasn't big enough).

I don't remember any grumbling about Stevie Wonder. That's just silly, as you say.

Radiohead dream slowly dying for me - they don't have touring plans, the headliners are presumably booked by now, and the whole Adele, Foos, Coldplay thing is looking more and more realistic. And even if it isn't those three I can't think who other than Radiohead would be an exciting headliner for me. Still, I share the feeling that it's perhaps too early to get comfortable with that and after last year anything could happen.

Of course there'll be plenty else on. And I wouldn't mind seeing Coldplay honestly - used to like them a fair bit when I was younger and before I got suckered into the whole 'music fan' snobbery.

I would take Green Day over foo fighters. I would like to see Coldplay and hope someone good clashes with Adele but I wouldn't be too upset to see her perform.

on these forums, yeah. i imagine outside of these forums there was a whole lot of 'who the fuck are these old men?'

i definitely remember a fair few people thinking Stevie wasn't big enough, which seems absolutely ludicrous now

I missed when we talked about that Adele thing. Just want to point out that it was a fucking horrible thing to say, 22 is more than old enough to know not to be that entitled and unselfaware. True it was a long time ago, true there's nothing to say she didn't pay it, true it has no bearing on her headlining, but you've got to be a prize fucking tosser to say that when you know it's being published.

I missed when we talked about that Adele thing. Just want to point out that it was a fucking horrible thing to say, 22 is more than old enough to know not to be that entitled and unselfaware. True it was a long time ago, true there's nothing to say she didn't pay it, true it has no bearing on her headlining, but you've got to be a prize fucking tosser to say that when you know it's being published.

That's fair.

Alan Carr asking Adam Lambert about "Queen at Glasto" rumours. Adam didn't seem to know about it, but wants to (obviously).

Not very interesting news really, but anything Glastonbury-related...

I saw that and thought they were nailed on. It was brought up out of the blue, Adam Lambert seemed to act coy but with a knowing smirk and Alan Carr did exactly the same this time lasr year with Lionel Richie, who I thought was being unofficially announced at that time too as it was done in an identical manner.

Mind you I'll have to watch it again sober and it may read completely differently again!

So alan Carr and Chris evans both mentioning glasto on the same channel on the same night to different acts. Nothing like a bit of free publicity, and just cements the fact that glastonbury is probably  the pinical of live performance in the uk at the moment 

Edited by justperfect

I think Ed Sheeran looks like a pretty fun live act, and a pretty huge one as well. Not sure he'd do it on the back of this album considering how long it's been out, but given his popularity, I don't think it'd hurt either.

Fair to say he doesn't need the hype, his album is still right up there at the top.

Edited by gazza_20

I think Ed Sheeran looks like a pretty fun live act, and a pretty huge one as well. Not sure he'd do it on the back of this album considering how long it's been out, but given his popularity, I don't think it'd hurt either.

i don't like his music, but the ex-gf was a fan and dragged me along to see him last year and he was pretty good performance-wise. I'd imagine there's little chance of him next summer, but if he has a new album out in time for 2017, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he headlines. he seems like the type that would be perfectly happy taking a small fee for the prestige of headlining Glastonbury, despite being able to command way more at other festivals. Glastonbury would obviously be delighted as he's one of the biggest acts in the world.

I think Foos are nailed on but I'm still not sure about Coldplay or Adele. I thought Coldplay were on hiatus or had consciously ungrouped or something?? And Adele is terrified of performing to large crowds.

I think we're going to get a big "pop" act as headliner though... we've not had one since Beyonce.