Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kasabian have talked about doing it, I don't think it would sell out but they'd sell quite well if they didn't do any festivals in the same summer. Them and Arctic Monkeys seem the most likely anyway.

I don't think Kasabian could. 2013 they only did Hard Rock Calling and had to give away thousands of free tickets, and it was 40k cap. Granted it was Glastonbury weekend but they still shouldn't really be having to do that. Arctics would be a good shout considering how quickly Finsbury sold out - but two shows were announced for that straight off the bat so maybe some bands just prefer doing those sort of shows instead of one big Wembley gig.

I don't think Kasabian could. 2013 they only did Hard Rock Calling and had to give away thousands of free tickets, and it was 40k cap. Granted it was Glastonbury weekend but they still shouldn't really be having to do that. Arctics would be a good shout considering how quickly Finsbury sold out - but two shows were announced for that straight off the bat so maybe some bands just prefer doing those sort of shows instead of one big Wembley gig.

That was on the same album tour where they'd already done an arena tour, Rockness, Isle of Wight, Reading & Leeds and T in the Park though. I think if they were to come back in 2017 and play Wembley at the start of a tour with no other festivals they'd do ok. If it was near the end of a tour when everyone who likes them has already seen them then yeah I agree they couldn't do it.

Conjecture, but I'd punt that a lot of bands probably feel a Wembley gig is a big risk, as dental said, they could announce it and then it sells poorly. So therefore many bands probably don't bother.

Bar Ed Sheeran, Arctic Monkeys, Foo Fighters, Coldplay - big bands like AC/DC / Rolling Stones size - and in terms of pop stars, probably only Beyonce or maybe Taylor Swift, Eminem. I can't really think of that many artists anymore who could actually take a chance with Wembley.

EDIT: Mumford and Sons???

Edited by Matt42

Kasabian could definitely do Wembley at the start of an album tour.

Yep, I think their problem is that they tend to an arena tour and 3-4 festivals off the one album (I suppose they're not the only band to do this) every couple of years so people who like them get bored. Their sets don't change much either, their TITP set last week was the same as their arena tour last November and very similar to the set I saw them do at one of the warm up gigs before the album was released.

You could say similar about Blur. Hyde Park this year and gave tickets away pretty much.

That was on the same album tour where they'd already done an arena tour, Rockness, Isle of Wight, Reading & Leeds and T in the Park though. I think if they were to come back in 2017 and play Wembley at the start of a tour with no other festivals they'd do ok. If it was near the end of a tour when everyone who likes them has already seen them then yeah I agree they couldn't do it.

They'd sell it well as a one off gig, literally no other festival show that year and at the start of a tour yes.

Yeah it came out in early May. It's not actually that bad by their standards but it just seemed to pass by without anyone getting that excited by it.

It's just poor Coldplay isn't it?

If anything, it'll be Radiohead on the Friday, Lady Gaga on the Saturday and Biffy Clyro on the Sunday.

Biffy would play I'd imagine on Friday night. I personally have doubts that Radiohead will ever headline again and GaGa missed her opportunity a few years again right as the build up to her 2nd album was coming out, perfect chance to play off the back of it and chose money.

Edited by thewayiam

If anything, it'll be Radiohead on the Friday, Lady Gaga on the Saturday and Biffy Clyro on the Sunday.

Been dipping in and out of this thread without reading past pages.

Cali, what's leading you to say Radiohead?

I'm guessing 'cos they're recording and probably due a return.

Are there any other rumours, as such?

Ed Sheeran can fill Wembley for the same reason people watch the X Factor, a huge amount of the population like middle of the road rubbish and Ed Sheeran is the embodiment of middle of the road, bland, vanilla, inoffensive, join the dots music. He'd probably be the perfect headliner for the festival as he'd probably pull the biggest ever arm chair audience on the BBC and make a people want to get tickets the next year.

Been dipping in and out of this thread without reading past pages.

Cali, what's leading you to say Radiohead?

I'm guessing 'cos they're recording and probably due a return.

Are there any other rumours, as such?

I reckon he was replying to the above post and rearranging the days into what'd be more likely.

Radiohead will probably still be at the grindstone by the time next year's fest comes around, sadly.

I reckon he was replying to the above post and rearranging the days into what'd be more likely.

Radiohead will probably still be at the grindstone by the time next year's fest comes around, sadly.

I suspect you're right. They're not in a rush at this stage in their careers. They could be ready, but I've no idea how far through they are. They did start last year, after all.