Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a headliner but you would think by the fact they'll be touring in March next year that if The National don't appear next year then there is still an on going issue as to why they won't.

Hopefully they headline the Other stage now that Bon Iver seems to be ruled out.

Hopefully they headline the Other stage now that Bon Iver seems to be ruled out.

Ah, are they not on the cards? Can The National headline Other or would they sub? I definitely can't see them on the Pyramid, however much people may argue it. Well known to their own crowd but I doubt they stretch as a broad base. I'll go for Disclosure, The National and The Prodigy then as Others unless The National can sub.

Ah, are they not on the cards? Can The National headline Other or would they sub? I definitely can't see them on the Pyramid, however much people may argue it. Well known to their own crowd but I doubt they stretch as a broad base. I'll go for Disclosure, The National and The Prodigy then as Others unless The National can sub.

Nah, Justin Vernon said there's no plans for another album at the moment. I think they could headline it and it might be wrong but is the thinking on here not that they don't have great relations with the festival because they won't offer them a position they think they deserve i.e. Other headline? They'd be a very strong sub and maybe a weak-ish headliner for it but are they really much smaller than Portishead or someone like that? I'd probably go with those three at the moment too.

Nah, Justin Vernon said there's no plans for another album at the moment. I think they could headline it and it might be wrong but is the thinking on here not that they don't have great relations with the festival because they won't offer them a position they think they deserve i.e. Other headline? They'd be a very strong sub and maybe a weak-ish headliner for it but are they really much smaller than Portishead or someone like that? I'd probably go with those three at the moment too.

Ah okay, I'm not a fan at all but fair play. I thought there was something with them coming back but maybe that was just a one-off? I'm not sure in comparison to Portishead etc really but I do think just from seeing bookings maybe that Portishead would get offered better?

Ah okay, I'm not a fan at all but fair play. I thought there was something with them coming back but maybe that was just a one-off? I'm not sure in comparison to Portishead etc really but I do think just from seeing bookings maybe that Portishead would get offered better?

Bon Iver are headlining a festival organised by Justin Vernon this year, so everybody assumed it meant a return, but apparently it's pretty much a one off and there isn't anything planned past that

as for The National, i can't see them headlining Other myself - i get that they have a huge fan base, but i just can't see them pulling a sizeable enough crowd for that slot really. more of a cult act than a big showstopper act for the end of the night, especially when put up against other huge acts. Portishead (at the time) barely did any shows so it was pretty special. The National are constantly touring

Yeah I agree that Portishead would get offered a better slot, completely forgot about how rare their live shows are so that wasn't the best example. I wouldn't say The National are much smaller if at all though I'm probably wrong.

I think the slot in which The National could have subbed the Pyramid was 2014, under Arcade Fire. Slap bang in the middle of touring, perfect follow on act. Can only see them headlining the Other now, and that's going to have to wait for new material.

So I'll edit your predictions above: Sigur Ros, Prodigy, Disclosure. ;)

Godspeed You Black Emperor (Other, or John Peel for a truly intense experience)

It would have to be JP, surely. Or The Park. 

And it would have to be a greatest hits style set, not just a latest album set.

Or A Silver Mt Zion playing Born Into Trouble As The Sparks Fly Upward in full. Ta.

I'm planning on going to see three acts touring this autumn, all of whom I reckon could headline stages:

Mercury Rev (Other)

Godspeed You Black Emperor (Other, or John Peel for a truly intense experience)

The Polyphonic Spree (Park)

I'm afraid you're overestimating these bands.

Top two would be Park headliners (and excellent ones) and Polyphonic Spree probably just a little lower down on the Park Stage.

They headlined the John Peel Stage seven years ago.

I don't really see why this means they won't headline it again?

The National really aren't big enough to headline the other stage anymore in my opinion, but of course If i'm proven wrong i'm proven wrong.

The National really aren't big enough to headline the other stage anymore in my opinion, but of course If i'm proven wrong i'm proven wrong.

Because they're much bigger now than they were in 2008. Edited by kingcrawler

Anymore? They've grown massively in the seven years since and are the biggest they've been. They were doing Shepherd's Bush Empire then and now the O2 Arena. Bigger than Bon Iver who you professed to be "too big for the Other Stage" due to, er, headlining Latitude.

The only doubt in my mind is that Glastonbury is probably gonna get three dancey Other headliners on the regular from now on so that'll nix the good stuff.

Edited by dentalplan