Cockmill Family Camping

SecretShame

Evening,

This year I shall have three under-ten children, for their first Glastonbury experience. I'm looking at camping at Cockmill. This will be my 7th time, in various locations, so I know the drill in terms of how quick the "preferred" areas of the site can fill etc. Of late, I've either camped in Kidney Mead or the campervan fields (East), so know the drill in terms of gate C etc.

My question is this: To those who have previous experience of Cockmill, what is the situation with tent size?

Due to the extra space needed, I've just taken collection of an Outwell Hartford XXL tent. Four separate "rooms" around a central area and an entry "porch". Only thing is - I've put it up for the first time, and it is huge! If I had tried to use this in Kidney I would have rightly expected to be roundly mocked by my immediate neighbours and beyond.

It is roughly 7 x 7 meters (in a sort of "star" shape).

Thoughts?

Having children seems to eat up a lot of space, so I wasn't sure if the family field contained a greater than normal number of "large" tents?

Ta.

The field has the usual mix of small, medium and large tents but since the recycling centre took over a good portion of the top end of teh field it has become very crowded and you will need to be in very early on to be able to get yourself enough space to be able set up a 7 x 7m tent.

Edited by quiet guy

You may want to consider the other Family field, in Wicket Ground?

Further from the Kids Field and Gate C, but fairly close to Gate A and importantly, fills up a lot slower and from what I understand generally tends to be a lot less crowded and more relaxed.

Thank you both for your feedback.

I'm not too worried about timing - the last time I camped in Kidney, you had to be "keen" to ensure a spot as well.

It's more of a "is it reasonable?" - the tent, that is. I wouldn't take it sans-children, as it would just be rude (in my opinion only of course - I'm not judging anyone who does take such a tent for themselves).

I *think* I'll be able to make Cockmills (of course, time will tell!) in time to get the tent there - but would that be fair to other users?

I'm curious as well - how small do people get their tents in the family field? The children are 2, 5 & 6 (& not that "camping experienced") - what would be reasonable, I wonder? I had just assumed that the field would be predominantly "larger" (than average) tents to be honest, so a big monster like this one would just be par for the course.

Ta.

You may want to consider the other Family field, in Wicket Ground?

Further from the Kids Field and Gate C, but fairly close to Gate A and importantly, fills up a lot slower and from what I understand generally tends to be a lot less crowded and more relaxed.

I know it's a bit lazy to say, but I've developed a taste for this side of the site. I've tried pretty much every general "area" apart from the West campervan field & the top West (Wicket funnily enough & around), and have settled on the East side really.

I'm also not too worried about atmosphere, as it will be both their first festival, Glastonbury in itself, and an early camping experience I think I could camp anywhere and it will be sensory overload! Might as well see if can be close to where I like!

Secret, am replying cos youve asked for peoples views but dont take offence! I think people have started taking bigger and bigger tents with children and I think it is over the top. We have a standard 2 room with porch in the middle sort of tent and that suits us fine. 7x7 for 5 of you is massive in cockmill.

My eldest is now 11 but at the age of 9-10 at shambala he was having his own popup( and carrying it) and we could therefore carry on using our family tent for us and the younger child.

We do take our 5m bell tent to festivals with more space so am not judging but I think youd be better off in wicket.

Secret, am replying cos youve asked for peoples views but dont take offence! I think people have started taking bigger and bigger tents with children and I think it is over the top. We have a standard 2 room with porch in the middle sort of tent and that suits us fine. 7x7 for 5 of you is massive in cockmill.

My eldest is now 11 but at the age of 9-10 at shambala he was having his own popup( and carrying it) and we could therefore carry on using our family tent for us and the younger child.

We do take our 5m bell tent to festivals with more space so am not judging but I think youd be better off in wicket.

No offence taken GKS – I know honest feedback on here can be a tad ... sharp! Yours was no-where near as bad as I was expecting (tent sizes are a tad ... emotive!).

I’ll find a use for this tent outside of Glasto, so have no issues looking for something smaller on the used market.

I’m trying to get a feel for what is reasonable. I think a smaller tent is in order then, as well as looking at Big Ground as a fallback.

I don’t want to teach the children the idea that they can take a massive tent and stuff everyone else, if it isn’t reasonable. You need to compromise in life to get along.

Realistically, they are going to get in two or three weekends before Glasto, and that will be it for their camping experience. Maybe in a couple of years taking their own small tent is something to look at, but I think it might be a touch too much at the moment.

Thanks for your feedback.

Secret, you may find that your 7 x 7m tent will not be any larger than some of the family groupings of tents that will be set up in a circle/semi-circle in the field. If there are 2 adults and three kids using the whole tent and you have some communal space and storage for the little un's extra bits and bobs it won't be too much in the big scheme of things.

What time are you getting in on the Wednesday? you will have to be early, and if you dont have the kids WITH you, the campsite crew are (rightly so) very strict on families only, and they hear the "the kids are coming later" blag all the time. it will be full very early.

consider wicket :)

We accidentally* camped in Cockmill

Most people had smallish tents, or a collection of a few small tents, there wouldn't have been room mid morning for anything large. On Monday when most people had left, a car was revealed to have been hidden in the field! Now that takes the biscuit

*we were directed to some space by the campsite crew, unbeknown to us which field we were in!