Is it worth the effort for just the sunday?

JennieT

So looking forward to the festival. We normally do Wednesday to monday. But due to our new arrival it really isn't feasable. We are contemplating doing say just the Sunday arriving early and leaving after the headliner. I'm not sure if it's really worth it due to the long drive etc and not only that I could put 3 tickets back in the pot for secret resales. Help!

Edited by JennieT

Why would it have to be just the Sunday?

It's getting a bit late to book now so you're unlikely to find any bargains, but staying a few miles offsite in a hotel and driving in each morning you could do a few days, and not have to deal with camping, lugging equipment around etc.

It's taking the little one with us. We have the car so yes could easily stay offsite. But hubby doesn't want to take junior onsite as he will only be 8 weeks old. So my parents would have to come down too! So thought we could escape just for the one full day.

Sadly for you i would give it a miss, for us 5 days or nothing now. Why pay the full ticket value for just one day? You've got a babe so why don't you try for Bestival or a family targeted fest later in the year with the money you'd save?

Paying £225 per person for one day sounds a little too much like crazy talk to me. I get where you're coming from, it'd be painful having to put tickets back into the pot once you have them, and naturally your brain will pester you to think of some way you can do it, but it sounds to me like you should bite the bullet. You'll have a great time again in future years, and there are two people out there that will be over the moon to get tickets in the secret resale, the Glastonbury Gods will understand and look kindly upon you in future.

We did weds-sun back in 2013 with our 12 week old, so I wouldn't discount it (unless your husband is really adamant!), I noticed a couple of other wee ones too. We did however stay in worthy view to make things a little more comfortable, before moving on to the campervan fields last year. Saying that, we have also stayed in wicket ground in the past, a very quiet family field with lots of space still available right into Friday...

But if it literally is only one day...I think save your money and perhaps go to a smaller festival, although it pains me to say that!

We did weds-sun back in 2013 with our 12 week old, so I wouldn't discount it (unless your husband is really adamant!), I noticed a couple of other wee ones too. We did however stay in worthy view to make things a little more comfortable, before moving on to the campervan fields last year. Saying that, we have also stayed in wicket ground in the past, a very quiet family field with lots of space still available right into Friday...

But if it literally is only one day...I think save your money and perhaps go to a smaller festival, although it pains me to say that!

Wait.... JennieT's husband in Adam Ant?

Paying £225 per person for one day sounds a little too much like crazy talk to me. I get where you're coming from, it'd be painful having to put tickets back into the pot once you have them, and naturally your brain will pester you to think of some way you can do it, but it sounds to me like you should bite the bullet. You'll have a great time again in future years, and there are two people out there that will be over the moon to get tickets in the secret resale, the Glastonbury Gods will understand and look kindly upon you in future.

I like the sentiment of this. I definatley want to take him in the future as its such as happy place away from the real world!

Sadly for you i would give it a miss, for us 5 days or nothing now. Why pay the full ticket value for just one day? You've got a babe so why don't you try for Bestival or a family targeted fest later in the year with the money you'd save?

Did you mean Camp Bestival? From my experience, Bestival wouldn't be nearly as good as Glastonbury with small child in tow.

Took my youngest when he was 6 weeks old! It really wasn't hard work at all - you have to look after him and change nappies anyway so why not at Glastonbury?? We camped in the Family Camping and it went like a dream! Only once did we have to carry the buggy rather than push it and that was because the Subday Pyramid crowd wouldn't make way for us!

The weather is a key factor - pushing a buggy through mud is impossible - tried it in '97 and never again so if it's muddy you need a papoose instead! I will always cherish the memories of taking him so young and have no regrets so give it some more thought is my suggestion

Took my youngest when he was 6 weeks old! It really wasn't hard work at all - you have to look after him and change nappies anyway so why not at Glastonbury?? We camped in the Family Camping and it went like a dream! Only once did we have to carry the buggy rather than push it and that was because the Subday Pyramid crowd wouldn't make way for us!

The weather is a key factor - pushing a buggy through mud is impossible - tried it in '97 and never again so if it's muddy you need a papoose instead! I will always cherish the memories of taking him so young and have no regrets so give it some more thought is my suggestion

My only worry is it being to hot in the mornings in the tent. Also we go with friends who don't have kids so guessing they couldn't use the family camping?

My only worry is it being to hot in the mornings in the tent. Also we go with friends who don't have kids so guessing they couldn't use the family camping?

space blankets between the inner and outer tent, plus opening up the tent around 8ish and hanging an opened sleeping bag over the outer skin in the direction of the sun goes a long way to preventing an overheating tent in my experience. If the tent is big enough for a young family it should be big enough to air well, I reckon. As for your friends, I'd suspect that unless there are a tonne of them it wouldn't be a huge issue, if there are a tonne of them then your mini community would be as secure and well attended as family camping.

I was too much of a wuss to take my kids when they were young, my daughter's first is 1 on the Thursday and she says she wouldn't take her until she's at least 3 (her birthday will always fall over the festival week, having been born on the Wednesday last year).

It really is such an individual parental decision and I don't judge anyone for whichever choice they make.

Edited by Spindles

If you really don't want to take the little one in with you I would use the money on something else. Personally I couldn't justify that kind of cash for one day. The kids area at Glastonbury is amazing though,including an nct tent,so I would recommend a bit of research to see if it changes your mind. There'll be a few historic threads on here about taking kids if you search for them. An immobile baby would be easier than one that's on the move in my opinion.

Thanks for all your replys guys. My hubby is adamant we shouldn't take him :-( we have a campervan that will be ready for next year so fingers crossed we get tickets in October. Gutted is not the word :-( although the money could pay for a family holiday later in the year :-)