(GPS) Pedometers

carlosj

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a pedometer to see how far I travel over the festival, and maybe jogging or walking at home. Has anyone got suggestions on a cheap model, as it may get left in a drawer afterwards. I'm presuming it needs GPS to be more accurate, as dad dancing in the crowd may skew the reading.

Cheers, cj.

Cheers, I'll check that out. I'm wanting to see how far I walk as people say they cover 10 miles a day, and even though I know the trek from Acoustic to Park and over to John Peel, I can't visualise it against a 'normal' trek.

If you are taking a smart phone there are plenty of apps that will do this.

Thanks, you're right, but GS on my phone drains the batteries down really quickly generally. I'll look into that and test it out with no other services running.

I had a cheap weightwatchers one a few years back. It did the job until I lost it in a long drop...

How far did it say you went?

I'm always super curious about this. You spend the festival drinking and eating like the romans then dance and walk it all off somehow....

On day 1 including the car trips it was was something like 20K... so that's what 12 miles ish? After that it was an avg of 10 to 15k per day.. till it met it's demise.

It used my gait to estimate my distance (as when you set it up you put in your stride length)

I use a fitbit flex in my everyday life, i quite enjoy seeing how far i walk etc each day.

Also punch in diet to the app as well and it works out all sorts of things :)

ha ha, I don't think it will give me enough booze or curry points each day ;-)

I had a pedometer app on my phone last year. Miles (Step counts) were Wed 12.4 (27k), Thu 8.9 (17.5k), Fri 7.8 (16k), Sat 12.0 (23.5k), Sun 9.9 (21k), Mon 4.5 (9.5k).

I used it in the summer when hiking and it seemed pretty accurate distance wise compared to gps and map, usually about 5% higher.

I would not consider slogging 10+ miles a day normally! I'll stick a pedometer on my phone and check in June. Cheers all for the stats.

I just spent ages doing this and have become far too worried they'll register bouncing and dancing as steps and get the distances wrong

Have those with Fitbits/Jawbones danced and bounced around and seen if it screws them up?

I just spent ages doing this and have become far too worried they'll register bouncing and dancing as steps and get the distances wrong

Have those with Fitbits/Jawbones danced and bounced around and seen if it screws them up?

I have a jawbone and dancing/bouncing at gigs certainly counts as steps. You could probably deduct intense 'activities' from the overall graph of daily steps if you really wanted to work out distance travelled. Each 'workout' is detected as intense activity and it asks you what you were doing. Going on an Elliptical counts as steps but cycling isn't detected unless you put it round your ankle!

That is pretty cheap... I've gone a more expensive way after ridiculous amounts of reading and replaced my watch too with a garmin vivosmart which has various gadgety goodness that appeals. Shall need a bit of testing to see it's response to dancing, but it's accelerometer should be able to work out if you've gone somewhere or just up and down

in truth though i'm just in love with the oled hidden display

garmin-vivosmart-onwriststeps-1500x1000.