Queing on Tuesday night.

simonthecyclist

I've done the overnight queuing twice and won't be again! Mainly because I got a coach ticket in the resale but also because it's completely random whether being there overnight actually helps or not!

The 1st year was great, got there about 1am, nice friendly queue that people couldn't queue barge, sauntered through gate D and had a pick of anywhere!

2nd year was awful. Arrived at about midnight, no actual queue, just a holding "pen" for most of the night. Made no difference whether you arrived at midnight or 6am because you could just walk through everyone. We didn't get through Gate B until about 9am by which time things were filling up fast.

I suppose if you arrive at 7pm on the Tuesday night and can guarantee being right at the front of the queue you're winning - but I think this is only worth doing if you absolutely have to be camped in a particular spot.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've rocked up at Gate C about 9 am Weds morning, walked straight in without a queue and camped up wherever I've been aiming for, for the past 4 festivals (twice in Pennards, once in Dairy, once on Hitchin Hill). That's a fair old crowd of at least 5 big tents too. Would never bother queueing Tues night as I prefer to conserve energy for Wednesday adventures.

Edited by robot86

First time driving this year and we'll be arriving around 2am as have to get a ferry from Ireland. Can anyone suggest the best strategy of what car park to aim for, what gate and time to aim for (to leave car and join the queue) if we want a spot in Oxlyers? We've stayed in worthy view last few times so haven't had to worry about pitching but prefer to be closer to the action this time around!

Edited by moorcroftlad

First time driving this year and we'll be arriving around 2am as have to get a ferry from Ireland. Can anyone suggest the best strategy of what car park to aim for, what gate and time to aim for (to leave car and join the queue) if we want a spot in Oxlyers? We've stayed in worthy view last few times so haven't had to worry about pitching but prefer to be closer to the action this time around!

If you're coming from the North, head east on the A361 and then aim for gate A or D, I've been in the queue at 5am and been in and set up by 9am, you should find a space in oxlyers at that time

If you're coming from the North, head east on the A361 and then aim for gate A or D, I've been in the queue at 5am and been in and set up by 9am, you should find a space in oxlyers at that time

We'll be heading down from Pembrokshire in Wales so not sure if you'd consider that North? I'm guessing west car parks are best for me to aim for but are there any tips for getting into the orange car park or is it as random as they say it is? Are the guys diverting traffic friendly enough to let me head to orange car park if I ask them nicely enough!?

We'll be heading down from Pembrokshire in Wales so not sure if you'd consider that North? I'm guessing west car parks are best for me to aim for but are there any tips for getting into the orange car park or is it as random as they say it is? Are the guys diverting traffic friendly enough to let me head to orange car park if I ask them nicely enough!?

No matter what part of Wales you're coming from, you should end up at the M5. Take the M5 South to the Bridgwater junction (Junction 23) and then turn off towards Street + Glastonbury. By the time you've reached those towns the Festival should be well signposted.

That'll put you on the Western side of the site which is where you want to be. Beyond that, you have little or no choice over field. They're trying to get hundreds, maybe thousands of cars off the road as quickly as possible and so there's no time for special requests.

Queued right at the very front for gate D for the last two years. It's not that bad, but it is bloody freezing (take a sleeping bag).

The queue w*nkers blaring out earth song were annoying though when trying to get some sleep. At least your queue consists of siting in a comfy chair having a drink/smoke/sleep instead of shuffling along carrying all your stuff every 2 minutes.

Gate c is at the bottom of the hill of death isn't it? Do people queing here have to go through the same gates as the campervan people or is there a different gate? With all the campervan people I'm assuming it's a busy gate

Same gate, very busy at opening time, calms down after an hour or 2 from what peole say here. Hill of death is easy going in, coming out is tough especially if it's wet!

Edited by whisty

There really is no need to queue. (Unless it's the experience of it you enjoy) I've arrived at 0700 for the past 4 festivals at Gate C and camped in the same spot in Kidney Mead each time. Tent up by 1030-11. Lovely.

However, I Only live 45 mins away. If I was coming some distance, then I may prefer to wait in line over night rather than drive through the night I guess.

This is a really useful thread. Was planning on getting there in the middle of the night on Tuesday/Wednesday morning, now definitely thinking 5am sharp should be ok. Just want to get a 4 man tent in Kidney Mead, and maximize festival time, so don't think that's worth spending another night without a shower and a bed. Thanks folks!

I wouldn't dream of queuing overnight. I really think I'd get that bolloxed straight away that it would spoil the festival. As it is in recent years I've turned up at about 2pm on the Wednesday and then got bolloxed straight away. Earlier if I'm not driving. I've now forgotten why I'm mentioning this at all. Ho hum.

my take on this is turn up at riflemans pub around 8pm tues, stay till closing walk to site slightly drunk, fall in ditch on way and get laughed at by many hundreds turning up..... eventually make it to site around 4am fall asleep and enter at some point weds afternoon ......................on second thoughts dont do this it nearly messed my festival up.

my take on this is turn up at riflemans pub around 8pm tues, stay till closing walk to site slightly drunk, fall in ditch on way and get laughed at by many hundreds turning up..... eventually make it to site around 4am fall asleep and enter at some point weds afternoon ......................on second thoughts dont do this it nearly messed my festival up.

Seems like good advice.(;

Gate B is always a minimum of 3 hours, often much longer, but it is the one you getup funnelled too if you are cutting cross country through Wiltshire. Really need to figure out getting to a different gate this year.

For gate c follow blue route not purple route which gets you to gate B for family camping. Although they fill up the car parks differently depending on traffic outside - so can be a bit random where you end up.

A361 out of Glastonbury, driven it the last few years, my advice if you are arriving at 2am (Tue night/Wed Morning) don't go for Orange, go to the next entrance along for Yellow which will put you right beside Gate A. I always parked in Orange arriving this time of night but last year I was given the choice to go to the next entrance which put me in the first 2 rows of cars, right beside gate A in yellow. Q was a breeze and on site pitched by 9 in Oxlyers. Having said that, being so close to the top of the car park, made the exit on Monday a nightmare, I'm coaching this year so will miss the Dublin - Holyhead - Glastonbury trip and not arriving till Thursday, but resale beggars can't be choosers!!!

Edited by mickeyboymel

• 2 weeks later...

Whats the score with gate C if arriving Tuesday night?

One year we did this an joined the small queue at about 6am and went in at 8.

Another year arrived for C, but wasn't allowed through the gate into the camper van parking.

Last year I got sent to B :( when arriving at 730 Wed) was really pissed with this, took 3hrs to get in.

thanks

Funk.

Whats the score with gate C if arriving Tuesday night?

One year we did this an joined the small queue at about 6am and went in at 8.

Another year arrived for C, but wasn't allowed through the gate into the camper van parking.

Last year I got sent to B :( when arriving at 730 Wed) was really pissed with this, took 3hrs to get in.

thanks

Funk.

i have stayed in the Campervan field at C for the last few years, getting there Tuesday lunchtime on the last couple. It appears to me that they keep people in the car parks until about 7am and then 'march' them through the campervan fields and have them in a snaking queue on the Hill of Death. Opening the gates at 8am. I do not believe you can get from the car parks to the campervan fields during the night.. Last year a young couple came in and pitched their tent with (i assume) parents on Tuesday afternoon, then upped sticks about 6:30 and got in the front of the queue on hill of death..

Is the queue for the coach entrance quicker than the main queue? Getting in at 7am Wednesday this year there for the first time.

Generally speaking, yes.

It's impossible to predict specifics as every year is different, but at the point the queues merge the queue from the Coach Station is usually given priority over the queue from the Car Parks as they want to keep the Coach station as clear and moving as possible. Also, only a tiny percentage of coaches will arrive before 8am Wednesday, so there shouldn't be much wait at all.

Last time I took public transport, in 2013, my coach pulled up at 7:45am Wednesday and I was through the gate and on my way to Kidney Mead well before 8am (Gates opened a bit early that year).

Edited by incident

Sure.. But in the context of how much throughput Gate A can handle, how long did it take to clear that sizeable amount once the gates opened?

10, 15, 20 minutes? It'll still be a tiny queue compared to the ones from the Car Parks.