thursday arrival

sirdannytee

Hi,

This will be my first Glastonbury since 2010, i've finally bagged a ticket!

My last Glasto, we arrived in the early hours of wednesday morning, it took around 3 hours and it was smooth sailing. 2009 we left wednesday morning 10am and it took 15 hours. most of that was stuck in a slowly moving line of traffic agonisingly close to the festival, so i have differing, and somewhat distorted experiences of the journey

Due to the work commitments of my festival comrade, I can't start the drive until thursday afternoon around 4pm. I'm coming from the west midlands, heading towards the yellow gate. Any ideas what traffic'll be like around that time? any suggestions of roads to avoid?

Any advice would be great.

Yaldy!

Dan

Hi

I have coach tickets this year but for the last 4 festivals I have driven down on Thursday as I have brought the kids with me. I have never had to queue for more than 15 minutes to get into the car parks or the site. I would say about 95% of people now arrive by the end of Wednesday.

Due to the work commitments of my festival comrade, I can't start the drive until thursday afternoon around 4pm. I'm coming from the west midlands, heading towards the yellow gate. Any ideas what traffic'll be like around that time? any suggestions of roads to avoid?

Thursday? Don't worry about it. You won't notice the traffic, unless something unusual happens in which case any advice you get in advance becomes irrelevant.

Don't use 2009 as a measure, the traffic issues that year were unique - caused by (from what I remember) an unprecedented number of people all trying to arrive for the car parks opening at 8am, a couple of separate crashes including one on the motorway, and an industrial fire near the site closing a road. The following year they opened the Car Parks 12 hours earlier - which has had the dual effect of ensuring that a huge majority now arrive by the end of Wednesday, and keeping the roads as clear as they can be once the festival starts.

I came in this way last year arriving at 3pm on the Wednesday and the roads were clear. Anyone know what the roads will be like arriving at midday on Wednesday?

id say 2-3pm is when it clears. Before that and to a lesser extent Tuesday evening it's slow going.