Best place to camp with kids (not necessarily family camping)

Wondermum

Been a long time since we were in a tent at Glasto. Since the arrival of the twins we've had a caravan, but unless the Gods are smiling upon us we will be back under canvas. My 4yr old doesn't remember camping in the tent so will be a whole new experience for him!

Soooo, best place to camp with kids? One 4yr old and a pair of 2.5yr olds? Plus me, hubs, and a couple of mates who, bless them, will be in separate tents to us.

Our previous arrangement was to stop wherever we dropped and pitch camp. Fairly often this was down near the dance fields. Great access to the railway track to get to the rest of the site quickly. Not great with kids that need to run about though. They'd be tripping up punters left right and centre! Don't want family camping (I think) near the Kidz Field because I'm under the impression that fills up really quickly and gets crowded. Also not sure about whether our mates would feel welcome?

Big ground is great, quiet after the headliners have finished, flushing toilets, easy to get to from the car park. We're a couple but we stay there every year for the quietness at night and it's always got a mix of groups/couples/families.

Big ground is great, quiet after the headliners have finished, flushing toilets, easy to get to from the car park. We're a couple but we stay there every year for the quietness at night and it's always got a mix of groups/couples/families.

Agreed Big Ground for all the above reasons. Also not far from a 24 hour cafe, ATM, Medical Centre and Police Station. Relatively easy for kids to find and locate. At night follow the lights towards the Worthy FM mast (or whatever it's now called).

Of you are coming in at gate A Lime Kiln and Hitchin Hill are relatively quiet and had loads of space last year. Looking down into wicket ground family camping there was loads of space there too. There was just a fence between that and the bottom of lime kiln if your mates didn't want to camp in family camping you could be either side of the fence.

Also :O:o:O Impressive amount of Glastonbury appearances you've made! I'm incredibly jealous!

I'm slightly addicted, lol

People say I'm crazy for taking the kids, but Biggest has definitely caught the Glasto bug and I couldn't imagine not taking him now. He learns so much in those few days.

I've never looked at Big Ground before, but will take a look, thank you.

Has anyone ever stayed at Park? We've always come in at Gate D when camping, would South Park get a lot of noise from Arcadia? Wouldn't bother me and the littles do sleep through anything, but.... Also, what about the late night one way system? If we ended up over that side, would we be affected?

Admittedly we spend a lot of time at the Kidz Field, but also up in the Green Fields and Craft Areas.

Has anyone ever stayed at Park? We've always come in at Gate D when camping, would South Park get a lot of noise from Arcadia? Wouldn't bother me and the littles do sleep through anything, but.... Also, what about the late night one way system? If we ended up over that side, would we be affected?

Admittedly we spend a lot of time at the Kidz Field, but also up in the Green Fields and Craft Areas.

I wouldn't suggest camping in such a central field with young children, fields like park home and big ground are very busy and tents are pitched almost on top of each other.

I would suggest wicket ground family camping, its a lot less busy than cockmill meadow, and unless they have changed the rules recently your friends are fine to camp with you. It is much closer to the kids field than park home, though further away from the green fields.

Alternatively if you do want to camp in standard camping i would suggest one of the further out fields like darble, bushy, baileys, or south park, though with kids that young i would still think the facilities and security of family camping are better suited.

Edited by blackred

My two nephews camped with us in 2013 at South Park, had no bother at all. Though Arcadia wasn't there at that point.

I didn't really hear Arcadia in 2014 even though we were close by, the speakers are all inwards facing. You hear muffled explosions but nothing too loud.

Wicket Ground family camping doesn't fill up early and is a really good place to camp if you don't want / need to be next to the kids field. Plenty of space and, if I remember correctly, your friends should ge able to camp with you.

Big Ground towards the top of the hill is reasonably quiet or has been last couple of visits. The further down the hill you go getting closer to Pyramid field the noisier it seems to get. But you'll need to get there really early for a pick of pitch there.

• 11 months later...

Thought I'd give this bump. I'm not a huge fan of cockmills. Last time I was there two years ago there seemed to be few folk seeking quiet, Not families. I might be wrong but the kids got moaned at by some grumpy old timers. Wouldn't have minded but my two aren't particularly boisterous. Anyway, wicket looks like a bit of hike to anywhere but the pyramid etc. 

Did any of the previous posters camp outside of the family areas and how did it work out? Thanks in advance. 

13 hours ago, Joshuwarr said:

Controversial opinion time: My view is that really young children should be in the family camping areas. Whilst there are plenty of quiet campsites, you still can't guarantee you won't end up next to a rowdy group unless you head to family camping.

on reflection I'm inclined to agree. I'll stick to the family fields. Thanks for clearing my head. Over thinking the camping thing. I'll only be there twice a day  

On 22/04/2015 at 8:22 PM, Wondermum said:

Has anyone ever stayed at Park? We've always come in at Gate D when camping, would South Park get a lot of noise from Arcadia? Wouldn't bother me and the littles do sleep through anything

There was still a fair bit of space in South Park all the way through the Festival last year and even enough in places for kids to play.  You can hear Arcadia but I would not say it's distracting from that distance.  The PA faces inwards and is not particularly powerful.  The explosions carry!

On 22/04/2015 at 8:22 PM, Wondermum said:

Also, what about the late night one way system? If we ended up over that side, would we be affected?

Should be no problems.  The late night access system allows you back out onto the railway track near Avalon Field.  

I'd avoid Dairy and the park with my little ones. After staying in both places without kids I'd say their both a bit full on. Not much space and plenty of space cadets!

south park would be good but a bit of a trek I would imagine. I do not agree that you have to stay in the kids fields though with kids. Saying that I stayed in Cockmills and really appreciated the services on offer in the kids field. My lad was only 1 and the weather was shite. 

Wicket is a great place to camp and really not that far to walk to the main parts of the festival, with the changes this year to that part of the site getting to the northern areas (pyramid JP, kids field) will be even easier. 

It's also a good if your arriving via hate A as its not too far to walk with all your stuff on the way in and although there are stewards on the entrance they're not hugely strict on controlling who goes in. On of the other benefits is its fenced off with only entrance/exits at the top and bottom of the field so if kids do wonder off (very easily happens) then they're unlikely to get out of the field in challenged. 

Plus us the field itself is spotlessly clean compared to the rest of the site and the campsite crew do a great job of keeping the toilets in a much better condition than the general camping fields. 

Edited by fur_q

On 2 May 2016 at 9:46 PM, fur_q said:

Wicket is a great place to camp and really not that far to walk to the main parts of the festival, with the changes this year to that part of the site getting to the northern areas (pyramid JP, kids field) will be even easier. 

It's also a good if your arriving via hate A as its not too far to walk with all your stuff on the way in and although there are stewards on the entrance they're not hugely strict on controlling who goes in. On of the other benefits is its fenced off with only entrance/exits at the top and bottom of the field so if kids do wonder off (very easily happens) then they're unlikely to get out of the field in challenged. 

Plus us the field itself is spotlessly clean compared to the rest of the site and the campsite crew do a great job of keeping the toilets in a much better condition than the general camping fields. 

Thanks, that has made up my mind. Now to convince the team we don't have to queue over night. Which kills me.

Thanks to phillyfaddle as well

I've done big ground the past couple of glastonburys with my kids (age8--11) (prior to that we did cockmill and have once rented a tipi up by the park.  its quite nice up there, and quiet after pyramid has closed.  but you always run the risk of camping near twats. on the whole, Big ground has always been good to me.

enjoy

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

This is our first time at Glastonbury and we are bringing our 10 and 11 year old. We are planning on camping on Cockmill Meadow and are coming Wednesday. 

I know it's barely a week away but I have set up a Facebook group called "Families at Glastonbury so that we could chat to other parents. 

We can share tips, recommendations and even arrange meet ups/ camp groups for similar ages so they can have even more fun! 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1098104606919675/

Hi Lucy, I'm sure you'll have a great time.  Just be sure to be in early - Cockmill was pretty much full by lunchtime Wed. lasat year.

I couldnt have been through the gate (Gate C) any earlier last year - probably 100 people in before me, and by the time I arrived at Cockmills it was already (I'd guess) 10 - 20% full.  Small triangle bit down by the back of Acoustic was full and established by then.  No idea how they did it (set up before hand, perhaps?).  Best of luck!