The Alcohol Thread

marcwilson87

Yes, yes, I know it is early, but here is one of these every year and because I'm ridiculously organised I've already been looking. If you find a deal, discount code or anything well priced list it here for all to enjoy.

I'm sure prices will come down closer to the festival, but at Asda online 20 x Fosters and Carling is £10.97. Obviously it is piss water, but who needs the strong stuff when you start on it at midday? ;)

If you prefer shit cider, 20 x Strongbow is the same price too ----> http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Shopping/FindProducts.aspx?Query=beer&Store=ASDA&Sort=PPU

Here is the best bit, if you spend over £50 on click and collect and go through Topcashback you get £10 back. You can get 100 cans for 45p ish a can.

I'm going to order now while I have the $$$ and hope I don't drink it all before the festival...

Edited by marcwilson87

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I'll be on the (boxed) wine for the first time at any festival at Glasto this year. Partly because I've gotten into it more over the last few months but also because drinking beer or cider the last two years has more than once meant I've had to vacate a SE Corner venue without a loo having queued for 25 minutes to get in.

Edited by johnomatic

Don't want to sound like an old fart but there are a lot of comments on various threads about people getting rat-arsed at Glasto. There are also quite a few people mentioning their later regrets because they were too pissed to see much of the festival or bands they really wanted to catch.

I hardly drink these days and Red Bull or fruit juice (on its own) are probably my festival drinks of choice with the odd cup of wine following behind that. I might also have a pint for old times sake at the Cider Bus and admit I do enjoy the odd Glastonbury cigarette.

But I wonder how important getting off your head is for people going to festivals or whether it's just a few people on here.

Don't want to sound like an old fart but there are a lot of comments on various threads about people getting rat-arsed at Glasto. There are also quite a few people mentioning their later regrets because they were too pissed to see much of the festival or bands they really wanted to catch.

I hardly drink these days and Red Bull or fruit juice (on its own) are probably my festival drinks of choice with the odd cup of wine following behind that. I might also have a pint for old times sake at the Cider Bus and admit I do enjoy the odd Glastonbury cigarette.

But I wonder how important getting off your head is for people going to festivals or whether it's just a few people on here.

well its up to them isn't it?

Think I'd rather get rat arsed than drink red bull. Basically sick in a can. Absolute dirt.

I have been thinking about this since I first got the tickets sorted... I'm still worried about the fact I have to get the coach meaning I have to sort out my own drink. Settled for the following I think:

For spirits I fancy a bottle of Vodka and a Bottle of Rum and some mixers

Cans of Cider and a few cans of Guinness. Then buy pints of beer there so they are cold.

Also a Box of wine as it is a tradition for me at festivals (Cheaper the better)

No idea when I will star collecting this lot though, possibly next pay day :(

Edited by kemosabe

I took two four packs of Scrumpy Jack last year and it added considerable weight to my bag. This year I'm taking a litre of Russian Standard vodka (for my money the best vodka out there), and I'll buy cider from the bars.

I'm one of those that grumpyhack was referring to. My alcohol consumption last year had a negative impact on my enjoyment of the festival. I don't think grumpyhack was intending to moralise about this, merely point out that there were some - and I am one - who mentioned that to a degree, getting hammered last year did not enhance my experience. Lessons learned, and all that. I'll be pacing myself better this year.

For spirits I fancy a bottle of Vodka and a Bottle of Rum and some mixers

Cans of Cider and a few cans of Guinness. Then buy pints of beer there so they are cold.

Also a Box of wine as it is a tradition for me at festivals (Cheaper the better)

Change the box of wine for Westons Vintage Cider & you'll be fine the festival, its exactly what I take. Rum doesn't give me a hangover & 1.5ltr bottles of Coke are easy to get hold of. I buy a flavoured vodka & mix it with lemonade, but regular would be fine to mix with just about any soft drink you can get hold of. There are mini supermarkets dotted about to buy larger bottles of what Northerners call "pop". I take a mini plastic funnel every year & put my litre spirits into 2ltr bottles so I can add the mixer later & save weight.

Raspberry goes beautifully with lemonade!

Cheers. I got mandarin in Singapore last time. I'll have to double check how much I can bring back but in my cabin crew days we used to smuggle shit loads of contraband back to the UK.

Everyone is different.

As long as people are enjoying themselves, without being disrespectful, get as hammered as you want, or don't want to.

Everyone is different.

As long as people are enjoying themselves, without being disrespectful, get as hammered as you want, or don't want to.

Yup. As long as you're not getting in the way of other peoples fun, do what you want.

Wainwrights Golden Ale - £3.99 for 4 cans in B&M. A triumph in a can which I only discovered on these boards.

Not going too take and lager, cider or anything in cans this year, fed up of the bad back from carrying it around.

Will be having a pint from the closest bar too me on site.

For the evenings I am getting three litres of Gin to do half litre mixes in lemonade bottles with lemonade and some sort of juice and a bottle of Souther Comfort.

It's probably an age thing (although, like you, I'm both grumpy and a hack, so maybe that plays a part), but I drink relatively little at festivals these days, yet enjoy festivals even more than I did in my drunken youth.

I don't set any rules, but I rarely drink any alcohol at Glastonbury before about 5pm. After that, it's a few pints or tinnies of ale over the course of the evening. Very rarely more than three or four pints. Never spirits -- I just don't have a thirst for them in the middle of a field. And by about midnight, I've usually lost my thirst all together. A few Glastonbury cigs don't go amiss.

Unsurprisingly, I see many more bands and other entertainment these days (I've been coming since '86), stay up later and get up earlier (these days I need much less sleep, regardless of alcohol intake), and enjoy the festival much more clear-eyed and bushy-tailed than I ever did with a dry mouth and raging hangover.

No moralising intended, but I'd highly recommend the relatively sober route to festival nirvana.