Any other clean and sober festival goes out there?!

mrfinn

Evening!

Right.....I could be setting myself up here....but....

Im a recovering alcoholic/addict, been clean and sober since August 2010, gave festivals a miss for a short while ...just in case, but missed them so much and was determined to manage them drink and drug free. Ive now been to many festivals in my almost 5 years of recovery and I absolutely love the sober/clean buzz!

Are there any other people on this site like myself who dont drink/take drugs? There are a fair few of us about...attended my first AA meeting at Glastonbury last year and it was pretty busy so I know Im not alone! Just wondered if there are other member on here who either choose not to drink or are in recovery and would like to connect?

I'm not but see a fair few in the main threads saying they go without the mind altering stuff. Don't really have a problem with stuff but would like to be able to do it the clean way. Good luck, don;t fall off wagon and have a great time :)

Cheers mate :D

I always make sure i have measures in place should things get difficult and Glastonbury has the blessing of having regular 12 step meetings in the healing fields, which makes things easier. Its always one of my highlights, meeting others enjoying the clean buzz.

It was hard in the beginning when I first got sober, especially at night, but now it really doesnt bother me and the bonus is that I remember the whole thing and dont have to deal with hangovers!!

Last year was my first Glastonbury, and I did it completely clean and sober. In "real life" I do drink, but I've never taken drugs. I've found at Glasto, I don't need mind altering substances to get high, I get off on the atmosphere. Not that I'm criticising anyone who does need it, whatever gets you going. I find Glasto such a momumental mind fuck (in the best possible way), I have to do it completely sober so I can enjoy it more and not worry about breaking my tent in my drunken state, falling asleep somewhere inappropriate or the hangovers! I'm planning on doing the same this year.

Congratulations mrfinn on sobriety!

Last year was my first Glastonbury, and I did it completely clean and sober. In "real life" I do drink, but I've never taken drugs. I've found at Glasto, I don't need mind altering substances to get high, I get off on the atmosphere. Not that I'm criticising anyone who does need it, whatever gets you going. I find Glasto such a momumental mind fuck (in the best possible way), I have to do it completely sober so I can enjoy it more and not worry about breaking my tent in my drunken state, falling asleep somewhere inappropriate or the hangovers! I'm planning on doing the same this year.

Congratulations mrfinn on sobriety!

Thanks Ave!

Massive kudos to you for doing your first Glastonbury clean and sober! I agree with you, getting off on the atmosphere alone is just incredible, it is indeed a monumental mind fuck!!! You know I used to get in such a state at festivals I now cant imagine how i ever survived!!!

Maybe see you up at the stone circle with my carton of orange juice, dancing and grinning my face off :)

I'm in a slightly different situation from you mrfinn but this year will be my third sober Glastonbury.

2013, I was 7 months pregnant so no drink for me then, last year we took our then 8 month old so no drink that year!

This year our daughter is coming with us again and will be 20 months and while I probably could have a few pints, I've not drank since January 2013 due to being either pregnant or breastfeeding :)

As I said, a different situation to you, but three sober festivals for me none the less and I can say I haven't missed it - especially the hangovers!

To echo Ave's words, congrats on the sobriety...can't imagine how difficult that must be so a salute to you for your achievement and enjoy your orange juice at the stone circle....my Glasto beverage of choice are the banana milkshakes from the coffee stall in West Holts - they are amazing!!

Have a great Glasto :D

Edited by norainplease

Firstly, congratulations on your sobriety and I wish you well for your continuing recovery! I went through the drugs/ alcohol phase (although I wasn't addicted) however; (and I'm only 24) I don't use any drugs now and rarely drink. When I go to Glastonbury I drink 5 cans max maybe? As a previous poster said, I don't feel I need to (although I have nothing against people that do drink or use substances) as the atmosphere is enough to leave me buzzing.

Agree with Ave that going sober at Glastonbury is dead easy as there is so much to see and experience you don't need any artificial (or natural) stimulants to enhance the experience.

I'm very much for letting people enjoy the festival in their own way, but do find it odd people spend time and effort to get to the festival then get so wasted they spend three days in their tent or can't remember a thing they did.

Have a great time however you chose to enjoy the festival but rest assured its a superb experience sober

I've luckily never fallen off the wagon but I drink very little alcohol. Red Bull or fruit juices are my drinks of choice, though I admit to having the occasional "Glastonbury Cigarette" at festivals.

I actually posted on another thread that I thought it was a bit sad how so many people were almost boasting about getting shit-faced at Glasto, though a few also admitted to regretting that as a result they'd almost lost whole days or missed bands they were hoping to see.

No point in getting so wasted that you miss what you've paid good money to see.

How awesome to hear from so many others who also like the sober buzz!

Its amazing to see that there are people that simply choose to stay sober, not out of need (ie alcoholic like me) but out of preference. I completely agree that doing it shit faced seems a waste. Having done so many that way I can definitely say that I prefer this way. I remember so much more for a start!!!

Thanks so much for the replies, its really helped me to see that Im not as alone in my soberness as I sometimes feel

:D

I'm another who will be doing Glastonbury sober!

I do it out of preference, I've never drunk, and not ever felt the need to. I don't partake in drugs either.

And I totally don't feel like I'm missing out on anything either...this is my sixth Glastonbury this year and of course I've enjoyed every single one.

I do it sober each year and as has been said there is enough going on to blow your mind within adding in anything else. You can be walking along and a man stops in front of you sits down and creates animal heads moulded around his own head from the big lump of clay he is carrying. Then a mass of people being led around by an agent provocateur create an impromptu choir outside a pizza shop and sing "just one organic pizza" until they have one delivered. This is at one o'clock in the afternoon not late at night in a kooky area. Who needs chemicals amongst this?

Been twice so far, totally sober both times. Probably be the same this time, although I am considering the e-fest meet which could be testing.

I've not missed booze at all, and like the pluses of staying hydrated, fewer trips to the drops, no hangover, money saved.

How absolutely amazing! This just goes to show that festivals dont have to be the big mash up that everyone expects them to be!

Glasto is amazing sober. Maybe see you at the Stone Circle for an orange juice!

Absolutely mate! See you there!

I'm another who will be doing Glastonbury sober!
I do it out of preference, I've never drunk, and not ever felt the need to. I don't partake in drugs either.
And I totally don't feel like I'm missing out on anything either...this is my sixth Glastonbury this year and of course I've enjoyed every single one.

Ive done so many festivals but I can honestly say that its my sober ones I have enjoyed more, I dont feel like Im missing out either, in fact I missed out on all the one pre recovery as I hardly remember a thing!

I do it sober each year and as has been said there is enough going on to blow your mind within adding in anything else. You can be walking along and a man stops in front of you sits down and creates animal heads moulded around his own head from the big lump of clay he is carrying. Then a mass of people being led around by an agent provocateur create an impromptu choir outside a pizza shop and sing "just one organic pizza" until they have one delivered. This is at one o'clock in the afternoon not late at night in a kooky area. Who needs chemicals amongst this?

God I agree with this!!! There is just so much random crazy stuff going on, you dont need drugs! My partner and I dodged some bouncers last years and ended up in a secret kitchen set up where we walked through a fridge......craziest experience Ive ever had without drugs!

Been twice so far, totally sober both times. Probably be the same this time, although I am considering the e-fest meet which could be testing.

I've not missed booze at all, and like the pluses of staying hydrated, fewer trips to the drops, no hangover, money saved.

oooooooooo yeeeess! no hangover!!!! Bliss!

Im going to attempt the e fest meet up too, was a bit nervous...but now I know I wont be the only sober one Im definatley going to come and say hi!

To one and all, sober or otherwise, nervous or confident, do come along to the E-Fests meet. It's just a great group of people sharing the joy of Glastonbury and the delight of putting names to faces.

There's no need to drink alcohol or take anything else. They usually give out sticky labels so you can put your nickname on and we'll be sitting around in the sunshine putting faces to Avatars and thinking "I never thought Neil (or whoever) looked like that."

After previous years several people posted that they hovered on the edge but didn't have the confidence to announce themselves to the group. I think that's such a shame because you won't meet a friendlier, more supportive, non-judgmental group.

If you can quit the booze, saying hello to another E-fester should be a pretty small step but one worth taking.

• 4 weeks later...

Keep up the good work on urself and ull have the best time ever! Im allergic to alcohol yep seems to be a suprise to alot of people! Ive done all my glastonburys completely substance free and its better than anything! Theres plenty of juice tea coffee and check out elderflower cordial near the theatre field! Oh and theres always lucozade and plenty of food!

Yeah another no alcohol or drug Glasto goer. Never was fussed with drinking when i did and not touched drugs - but still kudos for stopping. This will be my 5th Glasto and all have been sober, i find that as there is so much awesomeness going on you go on as long as anyone else at night, only you remember all the sights and you are also able to be up before everyone else and able to see the chilled quiet of the mornings. Last year i could spend a couple of hours chatting with people in a sauna before anyone who i camp near have stirred for the day. Also means you never miss Sunday morning at the pyramid which is always amazing. Bound to see you at the meet

Not completely sober as I do enjoy an odd drink but not touched a naughty substance since 2009, which incidentally was my last Glastonbury under the influence.

I was 17 years worth of basically anything which went, abstinence was forced upon me when I left the country and couldn't get my hands on anything for the want of trying. After a very tough few weeks it was like the real me began to emerge from the shell I'd lived in so long. My confidence returned and I became a nicer person to be around. I began making much better decisions in my personal life and once I got to state of mind I was happy with, I wouldn't lose it for the world.

These days I enjoy the festival just as much with nothing stronger than the occasional cider. The smell of green in the air still makes my nostalgic for the old days but I quickly remind myself that if I was to have so much as a puff I would be in a corner having an anxiety attack, once your tolerance is gone it's gone.

I love to take in the sights and sounds and can stay up as late as anyone, respect to you man.

To one and all, sober or otherwise, nervous or confident, do come along to the E-Fests meet. It's just a great group of people sharing the joy of Glastonbury and the delight of putting names to faces.

There's no need to drink alcohol or take anything else. They usually give out sticky labels so you can put your nickname on and we'll be sitting around in the sunshine putting faces to Avatars and thinking "I never thought Neil (or whoever) looked like that."

After previous years several people posted that they hovered on the edge but didn't have the confidence to announce themselves to the group. I think that's such a shame because you won't meet a friendlier, more supportive, non-judgmental group.

If you can quit the booze, saying hello to another E-fester should be a pretty small step but one worth taking.

Where do you meet pse?

Cabaret field bar, 6pm Wednesday. Soft drinks are available.

I barely drink these days, was never an alcoholic but have still fucked up my pancreas just the same. Having no addiction there's no reason to completely stop, but sometimes even one drink can lead to 48 hours of painful vomiting, so mostly I don't bother. As for drugs, Ganja has always been enough for me, lucky I don't have an addictive personality I guess.

@OP, made up for you having got clean, come to the efests meet and there's a fruit smoothie, cuppa or soft drink of your choice waiting from me.

This'll be my 4th sober Glastonbury. Was never an alcoholic but definitely had issues with drinking (drank to excess, affected my mood very negatively. But not when drinking, would be the times around when I was drinking, not even during the hangover but would feel incredibly low for days after a big session)

Being sober now is just normal. The idea of being drunk just seems so odd Helped at Glasto by the fact that I volunteer as a steward and the people I go with do drink, and do get pretty drunk, but not really messed up. And one way that it;s easier at Glastonbury than real life, is in real life when my mate's drunkenness starts to annoy me, my usual option is just to go home, whereas at Glasto I can always just leave them to it and go find something more interesting

Evening!

Right.....I could be setting myself up here....but....

Im a recovering alcoholic/addict, been clean and sober since August 2010, gave festivals a miss for a short while ...just in case, but missed them so much and was determined to manage them drink and drug free. Ive now been to many festivals in my almost 5 years of recovery and I absolutely love the sober/clean buzz!

Are there any other people on this site like myself who dont drink/take drugs? There are a fair few of us about...attended my first AA meeting at Glastonbury last year and it was pretty busy so I know Im not alone! Just wondered if there are other member on here who either choose not to drink or are in recovery and would like to connect?

Well done mate!

Personally, I don't go to festivals to get drunk. Too many horrible aftereffects that affect your enjoyment of all the cool things going on. Sober is the way to go IMO.