Secret resales 2015

Terence99

5 minutes ago, Stooonami said:

There should be a system where the tickets can be transferred but for face value only.

I totally agree it needs changing , every year people try to sell tickets because they can not go , they could be transferred to people who do

Edited by PetePie

1 hour ago, Stooonami said:

There should be a system where the tickets can be transferred but for face value only.

I hole heartedly agree with this, for the second year a row,I have the time of work, the money the bank but have been unable get a ticket having tried all the sales missing the 2 minute secret resale by not being able to have my phone at work with me.

I live on a narrowboat in the middle of the countryside where internet speeds are not up with those elsewhere. I can't always get to super speed broadband!

If there were a system in place to transfer,no ticket would go to waste,more money would go to charity and more people who love the festival would not be left disappointed.

10 hours ago, PetePie said:

I see your point , but I can't blame  people trying to get in on somebody else's ticket , this is what's wrong with the ticket system , if somebody cant go for what ever reason and they took out insurance and the insurance will not pay out , this happen to somebody we know ,he started a new job and could not get the time off ,his insurance would not pay out so he sold his ticket for a lot less than face value just go get some money back , the person who bought his ticket did get in , I think they needs to be something in place to transfer tickets to people who want to go, why should a person lose the ticket money because of the system glasto has in place now ,  I understand it's about stopping touts but it needs changing , i I read on here people who did not get in on other peoples tickets , me personally would not buy anybody's ticket just to go I would stay at home if I didn't have 1 , but if I was  working on the gate I would let everybody in who had a ticket in hand , even if the photo on ticket was not the person holding it,most of the people going just want to have a good time ,

so why spoil it for them

I agree completely what bugged me was the idea that the Oxfam folks on the gates didn't really care. They are volunteers yes but you have to take it seriously. I was in trouble a few times for not being serious enough!

• Upvote 1

On 6/15/2016 at 9:42 AM, PetePie said:

but if I was  working on the gate I would let everybody in who had a ticket in hand , even if the photo on ticket was not the person holding it,most of the people going just want to have a good time ,

so why spoil it for them

Because Oxfam are audited. The tests include auditors trying to get through the gates with incorrect tickets etc. If they fail the audits badly, I guess there's a risk they will lose the contract...and the significant money they earn for their charity will be lost. 
In addition, I understand that the local council have strict and understandable limits on the number of people on site...if that number isn't maintained then I expect the festival could lose its license. 
There are significant repercussions involved here so stewards need to take it seriously.

An official way of transferring tickets would be great, but it's beset with problems. 

First off, you still need a way of identifying the correct ticket holder. That would mean you'd still need something issued that has the photo of the person entering the site, and since it would have to be very difficult to forge that essentially means a new ticket. And there still has to be a cut off date for that. I'd imagine their current refund deadline is as late as they feel they can leave it. 

They could leave lists at the gate of people who have been through the transfer system and require they bring ID, but that cause delays on entry that the council wouldn't be happy with. A separate entrance for transferred tickets could possibly work but the staffing and costs associated would be high. 

Anything that allows touts to exploit the system will just see a return of people snapping up tickets just to resell, and it's hard enough to get a ticket as it is!

a glimmer of light is that they're scanning barcodes for crew this year, so if that's successful it may be rolled out for the public in the future. :)

• Upvote 1

To be fair I kind of think that the people running glasto like that it's so hard to get a ticket. They obviously don't want it to be impossible and want everyone to have a fair chance but this like 1 in 4 chance kind of thing with tickets gives Glastonbury a bit more of a hype than the other festivals 

29 minutes ago, MadScientist said:

That's a good idea but I wonder how they would enforce it. 

exactly.  You couldn't prevent someone saying "give me £1000 and i'll transfer you my ticket at face value on the transfer system"

9 minutes ago, siblin said:

exactly.  You couldn't prevent someone saying "give me £1000 and i'll transfer you my ticket at face value on the transfer system"

You could if you hand no contact with the buyer, i.e. there's a waiting list for tickets (those on it probably have to have deposited the cash already, to show that they're serious and to speed the process up) and when someone can't go, they're tick is given to the top of the list and they're automatically transferred the money out.

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

You could if you hand no contact with the buyer, i.e. there's a waiting list for tickets (those on it probably have to have deposited the cash already, to show that they're serious and to speed the process up) and when someone can't go, they're tick is given to the top of the list and they're automatically transferred the money out.

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

Whether or not it's worth GFL/seetickets creating a system to manage the number of tickets wanting to be returned after the refund deadline is another question entirely.

This is actually quite a good idea but I can't see either party wanting to deal with the cost of running the system with no added benefit to themselves

Just now, fightoffyour said:

That sort of works but its a tweaked version of what we have now with the resales.  It opens up a can of worms on "who is top of the list"?  is it fastest finger first after the main sale to get yourself on the waiting list?  what happens to groups? Is it a slippery slope to tickets becoming a lottery system.

It doesnt solve what people want which is to be able to transfer it to a friend or someone else in your group.  I don't really see a practical way of doing this.

1 minute ago, siblin said:

That sort of works but its a tweaked version of what we have now with the resales.  It opens up a can of worms on "who is top of the list"?  is it fastest finger first after the main sale to get yourself on the waiting list?  what happens to groups? Is it a slippery slope to tickets becoming a lottery system.

It doesnt solve what people want which is to be able to transfer it to a friend or someone else in your group.  I don't really see a practical way of doing this.

Yep all good points, I wasn't really thinking about people wanting to transfer it to someone they know.

Yes I guess there would a fastest finger first element close to the ticket sales now, but I'm assuming that this would done at some point around now, the closest time to the festival possible, where the numbers who can take those tickets at the last minute are much lower.

Still don't think it's worth the hassle for anyone to organise such a thing, just brainstorming.

24 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Yep all good points, I wasn't really thinking about people wanting to transfer it to someone they know.

Yes I guess there would a fastest finger first element close to the ticket sales now, but I'm assuming that this would done at some point around now, the closest time to the festival possible, where the numbers who can take those tickets at the last minute are much lower.

Still don't think it's worth the hassle for anyone to organise such a thing, just brainstorming.

You could have a rule where on every group booking only one of the tickets could be transferred to another person.

It wouldn't completely stop the "Give me a grand and I'll swap your name" scummers.

But it would stop the industrial scale touts and companies profiteering.

3 hours ago, Stooonami said:

You could have a rule where on every group booking only one of the tickets could be transferred to another person.

It wouldn't completely stop the "Give me a grand and I'll swap your name" scummers.

But it would stop the industrial scale touts and companies profiteering.

But everyone would buy an extra ticket for their mate who only decides he want to go about a week before the festival 

1 minute ago, Jennings74 said:

But everyone would buy an extra ticket for their mate who only decides he want to go about a week before the festival 

Like now you can only buy a certain amount in the sale.

It's not a perfect system by any means as I said it wouldnt completely stamp out touts. But it would have a little more flexibility than it does now.

5 minutes ago, Stooonami said:

Like now you can only buy a certain amount in the sale.

It's not a perfect system by any means as I said it wouldnt completely stamp out touts. But it would have a little more flexibility than it does now.

I know how frustrated people get when the festival won't let you change an unwanted ticket to a friend or someone on here but it would just open the the door slightly for some money grabbing tout to exploit 

Just now, Jennings74 said:

I know how frustrated people get when the festival won't let you change an unwanted ticket to a friend or someone on here but it would just open the the door slightly for some money grabbing tout to exploit 

It happens already though imo. How often do you see people getting scammed etc? This would go some way to alleviate that problem. 

2 minutes ago, Stooonami said:

It happens already though imo. How often do you see people getting scammed etc? This would go some way to alleviate that problem. 

Maybe if the festival wasn't so popular you could buy a ticket on the gate like almost every other British festival 

21 minutes ago, Stooonami said:

Scamming is going to happen regardless of how you sell tickets. Contrary to popular opinion most of the touting isn't done on an industrial scale by guys who make their living out of it, but by people who buy an extra ticket to sell on over the internet or just take a punt by buying a couple of tickets. Your idea will just open the door to all those. 

Besides that, you're still left with the problem that as there's no way of identifying a ticket legitimately transferred amongst friends you can't identify one that's sold for silly money. That just opens the door to the wholesale touting you've described. 

Edited by musky

51 minutes ago, musky said:

Besides that, you're still left with the problem that as there's no way of identifying a ticket legitimately transferred amongst friends you can't identify one that's sold for silly money. That just opens the door to the wholesale touting you've described. 

Indeed - there are people who'll pay 5 times face value for a ticket.  Unscrupulous types would get a spare to pay for their own trip.

3 hours ago, Jennings74 said:

Maybe if the festival wasn't so popular you could buy a ticket on the gate like almost every other British festival 

reading festival used to be the same a few years ago. I wonder what will happen with the Glastonbury side festival that looks like it will happen in a few years 

3 hours ago, Lucy92 said:

reading festival used to be the same a few years ago. I wonder what will happen with the Glastonbury side festival that looks like it will happen in a few years 

Reading and V always used to sell out but  even they seem to struggle now. But those festivals are line-up dependant due to the arena format. Maybe if The Longleat festival is held during a fallow year it might do quite well. But with the Glastonbury team being involved that will lift its profile so it stands out from the other 900 or so British summer musical events