Secret resales 2015

Terence99

I just think they should charge full amount up front, it will reduce the amount of people who will chance it for the sake of a £50 deposit (£35 of which they get back if they don't pay the balance in April). And this is coming from someone who has been successful in the main sale for the last 3 years......

I don't mind this at all - it means the folk who are overly obsessed with the line-up subsidise my festival by 15 quid each :)

I wouldn't mind paying off my balance straight away though. For some reason I always feel nervy when it comes to paying the balance, trying to make sure its gone through okay.

I reckon the system is as good as it can be now - no matter how they do it people are gonna miss out. At least the way it's done now means nearly everyone dedicated enough to try in every sale properly seems to get a ticket. Would like to get one in October for once though, that 6 month wait is a killer.

I don't mind this at all - it means the folk who are overly obsessed with the line-up subsidise my festival by 15 quid each :)

I wouldn't mind paying off my balance straight away though. For some reason I always feel nervy when it comes to paying the balance, trying to make sure its gone through okay.

Do they subsidise it though? I assumed this money just goes straight to See - I doubt Glastonbury gets it...

I do like the system the way it is at the moment. I didn't understand the complaints about it not working well this year - it seemed to go fine with no crashes and at least it's only 30 mins out of your day when it all sells out. I didn't get through even to the holding page but that's just the nature of the game. Personally I prefer a slightly longer sell-out period (e.g. an hour) because it gives the illusion that you've got more chance of getting through and means you can be slightly less panicked when entering card payment details... but really it seems the fairest way possible of having a general sale. And then, as others have said all the little resales mean the most dedicated will end up at Glastonbury. And the no questions asked cancellation policy where you lose £15 seems like a small price to pay.

My other grand idea for making it "fairer" would be to have some kind of system in place all year where you acquired points for doing things that fit with the festival's ethos (e.g. recycling, cycling instead of taking the car, volunteering with Oxfam). There could then be a pre-sale of a limited number of tickets to those who had acquired enough points. Then the general sale where anyone can try. Of course it would be an absolute nightmare to police/manage, but would go some way towards spreading the Glastonbury spirit beyond the festival.

The fairest way to do I think would be to have a lottery system. Where you would be able to apply for tickets over a week period and then they are randomly assigned to groups. If people then don't pay the deposit within a week or two some other group would get the tickets.

The thing I don't like about the first come first served is that if one thing goes wrong then you could fail to get tickets eg, power cut, internet cuts out or computer crashes.

Also many users may not be confident using online services. Especially in the resales when you have to pay all up front there's a lot of money changing hands, there has to be a few cases where people have been caught by scams thinking they are buying a ticket. I haven't seen any accessibility options on the site either.

The lottery system won't get them as great headlines as, "sold out in 27 minutes". But I think it would be a less stressful environment, that doesn't rely on everything working for an hour on a Sunday morning

The fairest way to do I think would be to have a lottery system. Where you would be able to apply for tickets over a week period and then they are randomly assigned to groups. If people then don't pay the deposit within a week or two some other group would get the tickets.

The thing I don't like about the first come first served is that if one thing goes wrong then you could fail to get tickets eg, power cut, internet cuts out or computer crashes.

Also many users may not be confident using online services. Especially in the resales when you have to pay all up front there's a lot of money changing hands, there has to be a few cases where people have been caught by scams thinking they are buying a ticket. I haven't seen any accessibility options on the site either.

The lottery system won't get them as great headlines as, "sold out in 27 minutes". But I think it would be a less stressful environment, that doesn't rely on everything working for an hour on a Sunday morning

A lottery system is a terrible idea, primarily it would put a large swathe of people off trying in the first place so would be self defeating in its first year. Glastonbury isn't an event like Wimbledon where the demand is guaranteed year on year, people started to feel like this in 2007 after a run of instant sell outs, then came 2008... If the weather is 2007 tier this year I wouldn't be surprised if they don't sell out in 2016.

The current system works fine, there isn't 1 chance per year, so far there has been 5 and it's very likely that there will be a 6th later this week. This favours those who are dedicated enough to keep trying, like those on this thread. Its a pretty efficient system and since See seem to have sorted out there infrastructure I can't see a better way of doing the sale.

Lol obviously haven't followed the thread that much

Actually I have, once I found out that *that* sale had happened I stopped spending a few hours a day refreshing trying to get a ticket for my boyfriend.

This thread was quite helpful before that.

Sheesh, some people :') I was only trying to be helpful.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A lottery system is a terrible idea, primarily it would put a large swathe of people off trying in the first place so would be self defeating in its first year. Glastonbury isn't an event like Wimbledon where the demand is guaranteed year on year, people started to feel like this in 2007 after a run of instant sell outs, then came 2008... If the weather is 2007 tier this year I wouldn't be surprised if they don't sell out in 2016.

The current system works fine, there isn't 1 chance per year, so far there has been 5 and it's very likely that there will be a 6th later this week. This favours those who are dedicated enough to keep trying, like those on this thread. Its a pretty efficient system and since See seem to have sorted out there infrastructure I can't see a better way of doing the sale.

I'm not sure how it would put people off? Do people like waiting on website hoping it doesn't crash and they can get through?

Maybe there could be a hybrid where the first wave is lottery based and then the others are similar to the current way. These resales though do favour the tech savvy, like creating a script that will tell them when a webpage has changed.

I'm just trying to think of what would be a fairer system. The guys at seetickets have probably *hopefully anyway* had a discussion about the pros and cons of each system and they obviously think that the current system is the most appropriate.

From what I can determine See isn't that different - the queue is to get onto the payment page and then it's a fastest finger. Only x number of people allowed to progress to payment page at a time and that is determined by how quick you are after the go-live date so same queue issue.

Must say I prefer the 2 mins to complete method as nothing worse than having the rug pulled from under your feet as you try and get payment details in.

Seetickets doesn't actually have a real queue. The holding page you get onto just auto refreshes after 20 seconds and tries the booking page again. You can sit and hammer F5 to get the same result. The ticketmaster queue is a real queue, in that you get into it as soon as you click to buy tickets, and then you are in a long line of people waiting to get to the booking page.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure how it would put people off? Do people like waiting on website hoping it doesn't crash and they can get through?

Maybe there could be a hybrid where the first wave is lottery based and then the others are similar to the current way. These resales though do favour the tech savvy, like creating a script that will tell them when a webpage has changed.

I'm just trying to think of what would be a fairer system. The guys at seetickets have probably *hopefully anyway* had a discussion about the pros and cons of each system and they obviously think that the current system is the most appropriate.

How do you organise the lottery, every one puts in for 1 ticket? Ok, so what about all the people who want to go in a group? Ok - let people go in for 2 tickets, what if i want to go on my own, already disadvantaged. So you move to a system with a weighted chance depending on the the number of tickets you are applying for? Good luck explaining that one to people, at least the system in place now is understood by the public.

The lottery idea has been discussed to death, it isn't practicable and it's not popular, the demand for Glastonbury isn't so great, or inflexible, that people would tolerate such a system - they just wouldn't bother. I do agree that it is the fairest system (based on individual applications) but it would crush demand instantly.

As for favouring the tech savy, there is some truth in this, but with the advent of tablets and smartphones this is an increasingly weak argument. There is certainly no requirement to write your own page monitoring scripts for the first 4 announced sales, and thanks to Siblins work here you don't need to for the other 2 either. The only workable alternative would be to sell tickets in stores, and I'm not sure there are many places left on the high street that would be capable of dealing with the chaos this would cause.

Regarding how tickets are sold, as far as I am aware this sits solely with GFL - See were forced to accept the photo ticketing to keep their contract. It wasn't led in anyway be See who are only interested in receiving their fee, which they got for every single ticket sold to a tout under the old system.

Edited by blackred

My response was tongue in cheek no need to take it personal but you did walk into it

Actually I have, once I found out that *that* sale had happened I stopped spending a few hours a day refreshing trying to get a ticket for my boyfriend.

This thread was quite helpful before that.

Sheesh, some people :') I was only trying to be helpful.

Seetickets doesn't actually have a real queue. The holding page you get onto just auto refreshes after 20 seconds and tries the booking page again. You can sit and hammer F5 to get the same result. The ticketmaster queue is a real queue, in that you get into it as soon as you click to buy tickets, and then you are in a long line of people waiting to get to the booking page.

I believe you are given a session id on first landing on the holding page and however many times you refresh that doesn't change (and the session id is put in a queue). Hence having multiple tabs open doesn't help unless you are in incognito mode. All F5 does then is speed up the check to see if your session can progress to the payment page.

There has to be some mechanism for determining how many people can progress to the payment page else they have the problem they had in the first year where the servers just fall over from demand.

I still think the only possible change that could be made that would make it in any way fairer is a bunch of in-person sales of about 10% of the tickets

Why does this make it fairer? I'm sure they would only pick big cities to do this in, which is pretty inconvenient for a lot of people... (obviously not those living in the big cities though!)

This would also increase the number of people that would apply for tickets as if you could just be "in it to win it" people would just enter on the off chance they could go

The early Sunday start, the nervous F5 refresh for an hour or two must definitely reduce the number of less obsessed glastoers (i know from experience that out of my mates the ones who are up at 9am are the ones who want a ticket, the others have a lie-in and miss out)

I think the current system can't really be improved apart from giving you a time limit to input details so you know if you got to that stage you are in

Edited by stocky3000

My other grand idea for making it "fairer" would be to have some kind of system in place all year where you acquired points for doing things that fit with the festival's ethos (e.g. recycling, cycling instead of taking the car, volunteering with Oxfam). There could then be a pre-sale of a limited number of tickets to those who had acquired enough points. Then the general sale where anyone can try. Of course it would be an absolute nightmare to police/manage, but would go some way towards spreading the Glastonbury spirit beyond the festival.

I've thought about that before but realistically it again benefits the wealthy who have more time on their hands. Say for instance you were a single parent who has to take their kid to school in the morning, do a days work, pick up their kid then look after them for the evening (maybe can't afford a baby sitter), get yourself ready for the next day at work and then try and get in 8 hours before you start it all again. When would you find time to volunteer? Cycling takes longer than driving, and you still have to look after your kid.

I think the only way that would make it....maybe not fairer but certainly more beneficial to those who really want to try is to slow down the sales so that instead of selling out in an hour the quickest they can sell out is say 4 hours. This would benefit the people who were more determined to go and can be achieved by just paying attention for a few hours on a Sunday.

• Upvote 1

The current system is completely fair. Although I agree that the 2 min window to complete the transaction like Ticketmaster use would prevent lots of fat finger mistakes and probably reduce the admin overhead.

I believe that if you persevere and follow eFestivals closely you can get tickets year on year.

• Upvote 1

I believe you are given a session id on first landing on the holding page and however many times you refresh that doesn't change (and the session id is put in a queue). Hence having multiple tabs open doesn't help unless you are in incognito mode. All F5 does then is speed up the check to see if your session can progress to the payment page.

There has to be some mechanism for determining how many people can progress to the payment page else they have the problem they had in the first year where the servers just fall over from demand.

I don't know about this sort of stuff, but the sessions last 10 mins. Is it possible to issue a session ID without actually starting the session, if you know what I mean. If not it would mean that if you're not successful in the first 10 minutes a new ID would have to be issued. I've no idea what implications this might have.

Just asking. :)