New 2015 Map

siblin

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminder of what Emily said to Scottie:

Are you planning on introducing anything new to the layout of the Festival this year?

Yes, Strummerville are going to be up on the hill. There's a new spot above the tipis, a lovely spot between The Park and Kings Meadow, just right up on the hill, there's a spinney, some trees in this beautiful spot, and we've been talking of doing something there for a while, so Strummerville is going there. They aren't near the stone, they want something a bit more peaceful, and the South East is quite a party, so they're going to create something. It's not going to be quiet, it's going to be acoustic, guitars and campfire sort of vibe. They've got some really lovely ideas, and they've got lots of plans we're talking to them at the moment. That's the only real site change,
Read more at http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/glastonbury/2015/interview-emilyeavis.shtml#eprVIDsxGjlpP50H.99

Have to say I'm dubious about the idea. The peacefulness of that field between the Park and the Stone Circle was great.

Never thought of this but its a good point. If you look at the map, Pennards now seems to stand out as odd, especially after seeing everything thats been built around it over the years.

I think at some point they are going to need to think about expanding the SE Corner. Apart from the Pyramid its probably the busiest area of the festival and has a relatively small section to fit everything in.

Controversial opinion here and not one I fully support but... I wonder if they could move the Green Futures/Healing Fields over into what is now Pennards and use the extra space to expand the SE Corner?

I could see something similar to that happening. Pennards is looking increasingly separated from any other camping field, and ME has talked about putting more focus in the SE corner, and it will need to be able to accommodate the increase in focus. They could expand into Dragon too but that might be on too much of a hill to be a lot of use.

Edited by Winslow Leach

Never thought of this but its a good point. If you look at the map, Pennards now seems to stand out as odd, especially after seeing everything thats been built around it over the years.

I think at some point they are going to need to think about expanding the SE Corner. Apart from the Pyramid its probably the busiest area of the festival and has a relatively small section to fit everything in.

Controversial opinion here and not one I fully support but... I wonder if they could move the Green Futures/Healing Fields over into what is now Pennards and use the extra space to expand the SE Corner?

i don't know if they'd move things around like that - the greenfields have pretty much always been there in that area - but i could see more late night stuff south of the railway, where they seem to have more leeway regarding noise etc.

Yeah, it would be quite an upheaval and they'd need to be careful with moving the greenfields too close to any really loud areas.

On a slightly different tack, I enjoying finding this map from 2003 (my first year) and seeing how much the site has changed.

http://www.glastonburylineup.co.uk/images/maps/glastonbury_%20map2003.jpg

i love this kind of stuff, old maps, aerial shots etc. i spend far too much time looking at these!

line ups are all well and good, but it's the infrastructure and logistics of putting the show on that really pushed my nerd button, so to speak. :D

Edited by fatyeti24

i love this kind of stuff, old maps, aerial shots etc. i spend far too much time looking at these!

line ups are all well and good, but it's the infrastructure and logistics of putting the show on that really pushed my nerd button, so to speak. :D

It's the part of it that evolves. Even though I'm weening myself off efests for 2015, I'm still reading this thread, because it's still relevant to next year.

I loved coming back after a 4 year gap and seeing where extra drainage had been installed. Like the main entrance to The Park.

Yeah, it would be quite an upheaval and they'd need to be careful with moving the greenfields too close to any really loud areas.

On a slightly different tack, I enjoying finding this map from 2003 (my first year) and seeing how much the site has changed.

compare that to my first year which was 36 years ago in 1979 { the actual first year it became a three day event } - you could not get lost back then because everything was visible from one end to the other.

Glastonbury-79-plan.jpg

Thats brilliant. Am I right in thinking the main stage has always been in the same spot?

Is that line running from the main stage around to the right and up towards the entrance the railway track?

no the stage is now twisted to make it a larger viewing area -
this is the old stage that burnt down - if you stood on the stage you would be looking straight up to the farm so the pyramid area was square - stand on the stage this year and the farm is over to the left .
but its roughly the same spot just pointing ' to me ' in the wrong direction.
shot from the middle 80's { when you still could park beside your tent }

work55er5.jpg

My first year too, so it was One World Stage before JazzWorld? I really don't remember that.

I'm i right in thinking the lane on the right is muddy lane?

it was not called that in 1979 but sometime later it started being called that - perhaps after 1985 which was the first year of the mud although when it was named that on a map I don't have a clue.
at the time that was the only entry/exit point for cars or people on foot
in later years they had a second exit { bottom right hand side } so that improved things as it was murder trying to get back out.

Glad to see there's more toilets in Rivermead/Pylon Field area this year!

Though we may have to shift our usual camping spot slightly to not be too close!

I just had massive de-ja vu. didnt you say the same thing last year?

it was not called that in 1979 but sometime later it started being called that - perhaps after 1985 which was the first year of the mud although when it was named that on a map I don't have a clue.
at the time that was the only entry/exit point for cars or people on foot
in later years they had a second exit { bottom right hand side } so that improved things as it was murder trying to get back out.

cool thanks for the info, for some strange reason, i always thought 'muddy lane' name came from 200+ years ago

Glad that they've finally stopped marking the bit of the railway line you can't walk on (through Park Farm/Paines) as a path. Every year since camping up in Rivermead/Pylon, I've been heading back one night and gone "oh, look, there's a quicker route" only to walk there and realise it didn't exist...

Glad that they've finally stopped marking the bit of the railway line you can't walk on (through Park Farm/Paines) as a path. Every year since camping up in Rivermead/Pylon, I've been heading back one night and gone "oh, look, there's a quicker route" only to walk there and realise it didn't exist...

I know what you mean but if you look at the 2014 map key it did not say ' Pedestrian route ' they used the words ' Track/Road ' - as a Track/Road it does exist but you need a crew pass to enter - its a road that is also used by emergency vehicles so they need to keep it clear so they can get out quickly to the main site.
since Bushy Ground - Rivermead - Pylon - Darble became camping ' that has always been a crew only road ' although its now much clearer now for everyone.
two shots from the road beyond the security check

2013-wbc-74.jpg

2013-wbc-75.jpg