do you still need a map on-site? how do you orient yourself?

tullux

well, i will be the second time on the ground and i find it

still very difficult to find all the amazing places.

do you still need a map or how long did it take to

become so familiar with the fields, that you are not longer need it?

Been a few times so always know where I am in relation to all the main stages/areas as well as our campsite.

Handiest thing about being familiar with the site is I know the quickest route between points or how to detour to avoid being stuck in the worst crowds between stages.

Of course that doesn't mean I know every inch of the site! Every year I always find somewhere new that I never knew existed! That's the beauty of Glastonbury

That's exciting!

There's no sign of The Blues though?

And I've not needed a map since about the fifth time, but it does take an age to find the ways between everything. TBH it was far more fun when I still got lost and found things by accident - I think putting everything on the map and making it all easy to find was a big mistake.

I used to bring friends and show them right around but have found they had much more fun finding things themselves.

I know my way round the festival as well as my own home town these days, but there are still occasions where you expected a path that used to be there and now it's gone so you have to go the long way round. I'm pretty sure the avalon>west holts path has changed location a couple of times in the last few years, either that or the beer is getting stronger.

On the Wednesday and Thursday, explore every area you come across and just keep walking all day.

Last year was my first time but by the Friday morning I was confident enough on the layout of the site to not need the map more than once or twice over the following 3 days.

I know my way around so damn well that certainly by the fifth time I went something had been lost in terms of the element of surprise.

Last year was the first I missed for ten years though.....hopefully they did something at least mildly unpredictable in the gap.

(Hang on fifty two posts?... Where the hell did my other four hundred go? I dunno you log in after three years.....)

Edited by El Gato

You can orientate yourself with big landmarks like the Pyramid, William's Green (where there's a signpost to EVERYWHERE) and the railway track, which you'll stumble across if you just keep walking for a bit, and after a few years you'll know your way to most places.

Or if all else fails, rest your legs and take the monorail....

The only place I could never find was Strummerville, now its behind the Tipis I should be able to seek it out! You need to have a good roam about on the Wednesday and Thursday and get up the top of the hill so you can get your bearings. Funnily enough the one thing that sometimes confuses me is the pyramid and which side I am heading for.