What's wrong with East Campervan Field?

surfwidow

We've been to Glastonbury quite a few times and always tented in the Family Field; but after falling and breaking my leg three years ago (lovely medical staff btw) we've bought a festival caravan. I've got Campervan East tickets but having read the forums, it appears EVERYONE wants West. Can anyone tell me why? Is East THAT bad? Is there any photos you guys can post to ease my worries? I know about the so called 'hill of death' but I live in the far south west and am used to big hills so I'm not too fussed about that! I'm just wondering why the bun fight for West!

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Edited by surfwidow

Nothing to do with any of that.

West is far smaller, so sells out far quicker meaning more people get shut out and have to buy tickets for East - which they then look to swap on here. It really is just that.

The Hill of Death isn't even a big deal if you're in a Campervan, as you won't be weighed down with camping kit.

CV East is my location of choice. The only downside I've met has been departing on Monday when we've wanted to turn left out of the site for a four mile journey to the M5 and have been directed right out of the site by police necessitating a 30 mile detour.

I do think a lot of people will choose West over East because it is suited to The Park, John Peel, Silver Hayes and The Other...

Equally important is the route in/out... East is more suited to those coming from London, The South and West and West CV looks more suited to Wales, the Midlands and North West...

I have always stayed in the East and really enjoyed it... The walk isnt so bad.

I always stay in East...nothing wrong with it at all :D

Do you have any kind advice on arrival times for the east campervan field for a newbie please? We have a five hour or so drive to the festival and trying to work out if we need to leave early to get there for when it opens at midday or if we arrive at 2ish we would be relatively near the gate! We've heard people talk about 40 minute walk from their campervan/caravan just to get to the access gate

Bring on the 'hill of death' ha

Do you have any kind advice on arrival times for the east campervan field for a newbie please? We have a five hour or so drive to the festival and trying to work out if we need to leave early to get there for when it opens at midday or if we arrive at 2ish we would be relatively near the gate! We've heard people talk about 40 minute walk from their campervan/caravan just to get to the access gate

Bring on the 'hill of death' ha

last year we arrived on Tuesday about 13:00 and were on the first row of E23, bordering the hedge to E20(check out the map on the info page).. that field filled up in a couple of hours.. I have previously been as far away as E17.. Dont get stressed wherever you are though.. Dont rush.. just enjoy whatever is happening, wherever you happen to be.. There will be plenty more to experience next year and the year after....

If you can get there on the Tuesday though, i would recommend it.. fire up the bbq, open up a can, chat with your neighbours and settle in...

As everyone has said, nothing wrong with the east at all, we always make it our choice because of the view mostly and then our direction of travel to Glastonbury. We did the long detour thing on leaving last year as well, they make you turn right when leaving, but you can do a U turn somewhere and come back down the road past the entrance, we just kept leaving it and leaving it before doing the U turn and in the end couldn't be bothered;)

For the walk up the hill, if you do have any issues, its very easy to go to the right at the bottom of the hill and take a much gentler (if longer) wander up, we would do that if we were feeling lazy and its only a few minutes longer than taking the direct route.

last year we arrived on Tuesday about 13:00 and were on the first row of E23, bordering the hedge to E20(check out the map on the info page).. that field filled up in a couple of hours.. I have previously been as far away as E17.. Dont get stressed wherever you are though.. Dont rush.. just enjoy whatever is happening, wherever you happen to be.. There will be plenty more to experience next year and the year after....

If you can get there on the Tuesday though, i would recommend it.. fire up the bbq, open up a can, chat with your neighbours and settle in...

Thanks BlueDaze! Hugely appreciated :) We camped last year, so looking for a little more sleep this year - whichever field we end up in :) ha

Thanks BlueDaze! Hugely appreciated :) We camped last year, so looking for a little more sleep this year - whichever field we end up in :) ha

it is certainly quieter up there.. although last year, i am embarrassed to say, i got rather 'tired and emotional' (note to self - dont describe fruity cider as 'breakfast beer' for 2015..) and decided to retire for a short break on Saturday evening as i wasnt feeling so good...

i was woken with a jolt by Metallica launching into their set.. it was like they were in the flipping caravan..!

it is certainly quieter up there.. although last year, i am embarrassed to say, i got rather 'tired and emotional' (note to self - dont describe fruity cider as 'breakfast beer' for 2015..) and decided to retire for a short break on Saturday evening as i wasnt feeling so good...

i was woken with a jolt by Metallica launching into their set.. it was like they were in the flipping caravan..!

What, not even over cornflakes!? Ha.

What, not even over cornflakes!? Ha.

it is not big or clever.... and i will try my best to pace this year..!

there is a brilliant post on chat about 'Money at Glastonbury'.. (how much to spend a day..). One guy suggested £100 a day as it is £4 per pint, 2 pints per hour for 12 hours = 24x£4 (£96)..

bet he doesnt drink fruity cider...

• 4 weeks later...

Only ever stayed in East as it's suited us in its proximity to the Kidz Field with the munchkins in tow. Only downside is getting a weighed down double buggy up the hill while wearing another child on my back! Right now though would happily stay anywhere if we could get our paws on a CV ticket. You will enjoy it, I can definitely say that. Hubby is more than worried about camping with 3 kids under 5 and trying to get / store all of their essentials!