Less known artists/bands you should check out...

XIV

Last year there was a similar thread were people posted artists and bands who you probably haven't heard of but should check out at Glastonbury. Obviously there isn't too many to go by yet but if anyone has any recommendations post away!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suspect this thread will get added to a lot more when the full line-up is out - as most of the bands announced so far are already pretty well known but - definitely Ibeyi (who I saw in one of Glasgow's shit*est cellar venues recently. They were awesome then and will be mindblowing in the open air), Goat, Wolf Alice and The Pop Group (Not sure if they count as "less well known", given they're basically elder statesman these days but they were never exactly a mainstream band). If you haven't already, you should also check out Young Fathers. New album's a blinder.

Edited by cassiel1972

Suspect this thread will get added to a lot more when the full line-up is out - as most of the bands announced so far are already pretty well known

Yeah, this thread will come into its own when the full line up is announced. I will too - Avalon, Leftfield, Acoustic, Bimble etc are my favourite stages / areas.

Ferocious Dog are awesome, they're one to look for on the full line up

John Fairhurst is self-confirmed for the Glade and Hell Stage. Sings the blues like Tom Waits, plays them like Hendrix (if you'll forgive me a little hyperbole ;)): http://johnfairhurst.bandcamp.com/track/im-coming-home

Loving his stuff, BSR. Discovered him via your playlist.

Really looking forward to St Paul & The Broken Bones. Old school soul with a singer who looks like Alan Carr would if he was an accountant but with a voice to make your heart leap with joy.

https://youtu.be/O2Fr3ZIpNJs

It looks like both Worry Dolls and The Little Unsaid are both likely to play again, they are two really great bands to look out for on the Wednesday and Thursday.

Slightly better known, St Paul and the Broken Bones are amazing and Vintage Trouble are one of the best live bands you will see. Just hoping they all make it on to the line-up!

Vintage Trouble were amazing supporting Paloma Faith, and as they duet on a song there has to be a chance. Headline act in their own right and would tear up any of the smaller stages - they work a crowd to get them up.

Thanks for recommending Lounge Kittens, just bought their EP and agree highly inventive and worth a look

Edited by sagray

Gaz Brookfield is great. Saw him at Croissant Neuf Summer Party a couple of years ago and he was at Avalon cafe last year but had to cut his set short for Mr Eavis doing karaoke!!!, well worth checking out if he's here this year

I'll second that. Think it was 2 years ago I heard one of his songs on Worthy Fm before leaving, loved it and made a point of seeing him on the Wednesday. Dragged all my friends to go see him, was struggling to find the bandstand he was playing, asked a woman if she know where it was, and turned out by weird coincidence that it was his girlfriend I'd asked.

All my friends agreed he was fantastic and I ended up buying an album from him that I still listen to occasionally.

Never got round to seeing him again last year, though did notice he was on the line up. Take it he's there every year.

I'm not sure if she counts as less known, but I been listening to Courtney Barnetf since somebody mentioned her on here. Really enjoying and will hope to see her at Gladtonbury. Lots of new listening to do.

Courtney Barnett and Jamie T are the 2 acts I'm most looking forward too. Think outside efestivals she counts as unknown, but lots of people on here rave about her (and rightly so).

Vintage Trouble were amazing supporting Paloma Faith, and as they duet on a song there has to be a chance. Headline act in their own right and would tear up any of the smaller stages - they work a crowd to get them up.

Thanks for recommending Lounge Kittens, just bought their EP and agree highly inventive and worth a look

Caught the end of Vintage Troubles set when they were supporting the Who in Glasgow and I've wanted to see them again since. Sure I read on here they'd self confirmed so was a bit disappointed to not see them on the original line up.Still hoping for them and Frank Turner, another self confirmed act that isn't official yet I'm looking forward to

I don't know how "big" Sharon Van Etton is but certainly she's not in the UK at least not 'mainstream" . i got into her from people on this forum raving about her once she'd been announced and totally recommend listening to her new album ' are we there ' , it's amazing :)