Biggles Wartime Band

harriet

Hi sorry if this has already been posted (couldn't see it) this was posted on the Glasto Chat fb page and Glastonbury festival official facebook page

The original post seems to have disappeared, so looks like it's time to post again.

Some of you will already be aware of a group called Biggles Wartime Band. They have featured at the past 16 Glastonbury festivals, and have a career that spans almost 50 years.

It's terribly sad to say, but this year's festival will almost certainly be their last as their lead singer, Jolly Jock, has been diagnosed with inoperable terminal cancer and they are no longer taking further bookings.

I, and quite a few others, have already contacted the festival in order to suggest that Jock and the rest of the band are honoured with a slot on the Pyramid stage as thanks for years of service...and I also believe they would be a big hit with the wider audience who may not have seen them before.

However, we need more people to do the same thing. There isn't long to go before the festival but I'm sure if enough of us speak up and get in touch, the organisers will listen.

Please take 5 minutes to send an email to the address below asking (or demanding, your call) that Biggles be featured on the Pyramid this year for what will surely be their final festival.

If you've ever been entertained by Biggles, you'll already know what an amazing bunch of guys they are, and how much they deserve this opportunity. If you haven't seen them before, you've really missed out. I'll post a video or two in the comments for those who'd like to watch.

Hopefully you'll all be watching them on the Pyramid, but if it doesn't actually happen, make sure to see them at the Croissant Neuf tent on Wednesday and Thursday at 2pm, and at the various bandstands around the site...I'll post times for those performancea as and when they are revealed. I promise you won't regret it, and you'll be gutted you've misssed them all the other times you've been.

But back to the point of this, PLEASE email the festival to support this idea. Also, please share this information on whatever form of social media you can - Facebook, Twitter, etc. If you are friends with anyone involved in the festival, or know anyone who is, please also make sure they are aware of this.

Unfortunately, this is going to be our ONLY chance to make this happen. Jock will not be with us for much longer, and won't be featuring at any more Glastonbury's.

PLEASE HELP US GIVE HIM A FITTING FAREWELL BY ALLOWING HIM AND HIS BAND TO PLAY THE MAIN STAGE AT A FESTIVAL THAT THEY HAVE LOVED, SUPPORTED, AND ENTERTAINED FOR 16 YEARS.

Also, if anybody gets a reply (or has already received one), it would be great to hear what they said. Maybe we can determine if there is any shift towards this happening.

Please like this post, even if you are too lazy to send an email (shame on you). That way, the most possible people will see it. In fact, let's see if we can make this the most liked post ever on Glasto Chat.

Also, instead of turning off the notifications to this post, please leave them on, or at least just come back every so often and add another comment (as nonsensical as you like) just to keep it near the top of the page.

Thanks, everybody. We have the power to make this happen for a great man who doesn't have long left with us.

help@glastonburyfestivals.co.uk

Comment

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's so sad to hear. Surely after all these years it would be the first thing the eavii would think of?

I remember stumbling across them on one of the tiny bandstands around the site, they drew a pretty big crowd, and the sight of them marching off the stage into the crowd starting a massive conga will live with me forever!

If you haven't seen them before you have to this year, they are completely bonkers!

That is terrible. I stumbled upon a Jolly Jock set on Wednesday in 2014. I had no idea who he was, but my girlfriend was feeling sick and we got into the tent to sit a little bit.

I absolutely loved his set. My GF had a great time as well even though she was feeling ill, and hardly understood a word he said (his accent was a little too much for her).

Every now and then I go on youtube and watch some of his stuff. I love it.

If somebody has a link to the nothing song (or something like that) I'd love to have it. He ended his set with that one. It was hilarious.

Emailed the festival, will let you know if I hear anything. I also urge everybody on here to go and see Biggles if they get the chance. Also a couple of years ago at Bearded Theory, Jock was playing on a small stage, at the start of his spot there was just a couple of us watching him. The crowd just grew and grew and Jock was getting funnier and funnier. By the end of the set and numerous encores there were hundreds watching him all in stitches. A very funny man and it was really upsetting to hear this news today.

Biggles have been one of my festival favourites for years. I particularly remember them doing the Sunday Morning Service at the Croissant Neuf Summer Party and wholeheartedly agree that a Pyramid Slot would be great and deserved recognition.

E-mail sent. I'll post any response that I get.

Edited by grumpyhack

Emailed too, had bloody great fun watching these guys over the years, was also at Bearded watching Jolly Jock, Waters Edge stage. So much fun. Let's hope something can get sorted. Thoughts with the guys. Look forward to seeing them in June

Hi, guys. I'm the person who originally posted on FB. Many thanks to harriet for thinking to share it here, and thanks to everyone who has taken the time to email the festival.

Please also share this information wherever you can. Are you a member of any other Glasto-related sites? Please encourage them to get involved too. Together we can make this happen.

I'm new to this site, so I don't really kbow what sharing options you have...but PLEASE utilise anything you can.

Much love, see you at the Pyramid for Biggles. :)

Biggles have been one of my festival favourites for years. I particularly remember them doing the Sunday Morning Service at the Croissant Neuf Summer Party and wholeheartedly agree that a Pyramid Slot would be great and deserved recognition.

E-mail sent. I'll post any response that I get.

I loved the Sunday morning service at Croissant Neuf Summer Party, they usually do one at glastonbury croissant Neuf too

This is a great campaign and if it comes off it will be a fantastic tribute to a great bunch of talented entertainers. I stumbled upon them on the Croissant Neuf bandstand a few years back and Croissant Neuf is now one of my regular hangout places at Glastonbury thanks to them. If anything reinforces the point that there is more to Glastonbury than the big headliners then It's Biggles. They may not take themselves too seriously and the jokes are as corny as hell but they are great musicians who never fail to entertain. Seeing Sammy the fish performing in a space where Jagger etc performed before is one of the most wonderfully ridiculous ideas I have ever heard.

Edited by GlastoLuvvinJock

I have been to many biggles gigs after seeing them at Glastonbury as they are local to me, they even played my friends glastonbury themed wedding last October. Its awful news and makes me really sad. Some of the best afternoons at glastonbury were watching biggles play and watch the crowd slowly go from " wtf is this?" to dancing arm in arm with each other within 5 minutes!

we need to make this happen.

whoever started this post i assume you know them personally - have you contacted the advertiser/Manchester evening news too maybe?

Edited by gorfield

Guys, you're great.

It's awesome to see that so many people discovered them the same way by accidentally stumbling upon them...but then repeatedly going back for more hilarity.

That was the entire reason behind starting this. While that's a great way to discover Biggles, this year will be the last chance for any of us to see them (or any newcomers to discover them)...so let's get them up on the Pyramid so they can get the exposure they deserve after all these years.

Once again, thanks to everyone who is getting involved - especially you, harriet, for posting it here.

But please also share the Facebook post on your own wall. We need as many emails as we can get in order to make this happen.

As for the person who said their emails are not getting through, maybe check you have the spelling correct: help@glastonburyfestivals.co.uk (note it says festivals, not festival)...who knows, maybe there are that many emailing that their inbox is struggling to cope. ;)

Again, please keep this growing. Together we're stronger.

O

As for the person who said their emails are not getting through, maybe check you have the spelling correct: help@glastonburyfestivals.co.uk (note it says festivals, not festival)...who knows, maybe there are that many emailing that their inbox is struggling to cope. ;)

Again, please keep this growing. Together we're stronger.

That's done it. Thanks for that!!