Contact Lenses

poison69

Hi all,

Having recently become a glasses/contact lens wearer I wondered If anyone bothered with contact's at Glasto and if so, what are your top tips?

Obviously hand hygiene is paramount when sticking yr fingers in yr eyes but I'm after any other golden nuggets of advice.

Or should I just not bother and wear glasses?

Many thanks

Steve

Last 2 years Ive switched to the ones you can sleep in for a few nights, means I can usually get away with taking them out once to sleep in and then straight back in the following morning.

But before that I wore the 1/2 days contacts, they are far better than glasses which steam up, get wet (in the extremely unlikely event of rain that is!), and generally irritate me.

My top tip - I fill a little hotel sized shower gel thing with some proper handsoap and then have a little bit of warm water from the kettle and wash and dry my hands properly in the morning when I take them out/put them in and clean them. It also has the added bonus of making you feel a little more human!! A little pot of over the counter eye wash to drip in is ace for the days/nights you arent taking them out - and doesnt involve the same level of pissing about!

Eye infections are not great in muddy fields, speaking from a nasty experience a few year ago!

Good luck and enjoy!

I use one day throw away contacts, so I'll be taking a load of them and keeping a few scattered about in various pockets so I can't loose them all in one go! I'm blind without them so they'll be pretty important. As above though, hygiene has to be the biggest thing to ensure! Don't want no eye infections at Glasto! :)

Definetly dailies. Ive been to loads of festivals including ones where a contact lens falls out in a busy tent...you wont be as scared of losing any...I use daysoft UV and get them direct from the manufacturer...well worth looking into if you are a dailies wearer. I think I pay about £12 a month and thats enough for 32 days.

Not advertising here, just trying to help others out!

when i've camped at festivals (2013 for glastonbury) my routine for my contacts (monthly toric lenses) was thus:

(*due to my prescription i dont use daily disposables, otherwise i would recommned that route as saves a bit of hassle but general routine stays the same anyway)

use hand sanitiser / wet wipes

then had clean water and washed hands by side of tent with liquid soap (you can buy fold up basins which might be useful / and for wshing face ..especially in mornings) had travel towel for drying / face cloth.

contact lens all in one solution on fingers, take out lens then into each lens caps. (reverse proceedings in the mornings after i've been up a while, had glasses on pottering about tent / getting dressed. (i still need a small mirror (or use reflection of mobile phone if desperate! to help place lenses back in)

i recommend the bausch & lomb travel contact lens kits for festivals..good size, and for me (i have sensitive eyes) not as abrasive in the mornings as your cheaper versions from tescos /boots

always have with you a small contact solution bottle to refresh your eyes every 6-8hrs...(especially if warm, or in the dark spaces in shangr i la / eyes getting hit with strobes /smoke

Edited by Northernsoul45

I used to have the contacts you can keep in for months at a time so it never became a problem for me. To be honest it is not that big a problem just bring baby wipes and a small mirror - if you need a mirror that is. Keep your solutions and case underneath some clothes or whatever as you usually have to keep solutions away from direct sunlight.

Had Phakic IOL surgery in August and its one of the best things I have ever done so I don't need to worry about it anymore.

I have been thinking about this also, main issue is I do not want to wear my glasses but I was thinking contacts would be a big faff and I am terrible at getting them in.

My plan was to buy some prescription sunglasses but I'd be buggered at night/when it rains, so thanks for all the tips!

I wear monthly disposables so do have the faff of having to take them in and out. I Put the lenses in for the day. When I go back to the tent to stock up on beer before the evenings shenanigans I take them out and put glasses on. Then you don't have to fuck about with a tiny mirror in a dark tent at silly o'clock in the morning. Always take spares just in case.

It's a bit of a pain whichever way you look at it. But at least when we reach the gates to paradise we will be presented with 1000 virgins for our struggles on this mortal rock! We suffer so others don't have to. ;)

I have been thinking about this also, main issue is I do not want to wear my glasses but I was thinking contacts would be a big faff and I am terrible at getting them in.

My plan was to buy some prescription sunglasses but I'd be buggered at night/when it rains, so thanks for all the tips!

I never wanted to wear my glasses to glasto as I figured I break/lose/drop them down a long drop so always used daily disposables. Then one year (2010) the dust and hay fever meant one of my eyes was so red and itchy and streaming with water that I couldn't wear contacts. I found glasses was OK. I had prescription sun glasses and kept my normal glasses in a case in my bag and swapped over when it got dark. Was absolutely fine. Now I pick n choose depending on how I'm feeling & what I'm planning.

I'm another who uses Daysoft disposables. I found it fairly easy to deal with in Glasto. Usual common sense approach of keeping clean before touching them really, take some eye drops which will soothe and cleanse etc etc. Another tip is to take a lamp and a plastic camping mirror with you so you can actually take them out at night.

Im really glad you asked this as I have just started wearing contacts too and am a little concerned about managing them at Glastonbury.

I cant uses daily disposables, its monthly lenses for me otherwise id say that removes a lot of hassles. I went camping last week so I had a practice at managing them, the hardest part (which probably gets easier once yourve worn them for a longer time) was working out how to negotiate putting them in in the tent...trying to balance a mirror and something flat to lay them on....was a bit of a fiddle!

On coming back home I found this on ebay, a great case that holds lenses and glasses and looks fairly easy to carry around in case pyramid dust from the heatwave we are going to have requires emergency removal of said lenses ;) . Plus it has a mini table like thing. Just ordered mine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121618894870?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT