First time to UK and traveling to Glastonbury solo - how to get there?

Brandy S

Hello!! I am an American living in Hong Kong and have had such severe Coachella withdrawals (where I went every year before moving to Asia!) that I have registered for an account and decided to try and get a pass to Glastonbury this year. It's such fate that today is the last day to register to attempt to get the resale passes in a few days. Wish me luck ;)

I understand that if I get a coach pass I MUST travel by coach to the venue. I have never been to the UK and have no concept of distances and where things are in relation to the venue. Can someone please help me decide if I should stay in London and take the coach directly from there, or perhaps land in London and get closer to the venue for a night and take the coach from there? As I plan on camping I will be carrying a lot of stuff with me. I'm trying to figure out logistically how this will all work! I'd also like to arrive at the venue as early as possible to ensure a prime camping spot.

Thank you in advance for any tips! I'm sure I could find answers online easily, but as time is of the essence I thought I'd go straight to the source of seasoned professionals for info. Good luck to everyone attempting to snag a resale pass!

-Brandy

Hi Brandy! Best of luck trying to get a ticket, they are going to be tough to get hold of, but going for a coach package is probably your best option to increase your chances. I would say that it would be simplest to get the coach direct from London, it will be about a 3 hour trip. Traveling to Bristol in advance would just add more expense, time, effort etc with all your luggage. Coaches leave from Victoria in London so I would book your accommodation as close to Victoria bus station as possible, as soon as you have secured your ticket.

As long as you get a coach on Wednesday morning, you won't have a problem finding a good camping spot as you are by yourself with presumably a fairly small tent. This is only usually an issue for larger groups that want to all camp together. I would in fact aim to avoid the huge queues and aim to arrive on site after 11am on Wednesday - the whole experience will be more pleasant!

As an aside I would look at Tangerine Fields or Worthy View or Camplight for returns ( if they are all sold out) so that you have prebooked equipment and dont need to lug it all with you.

If you do bring all your stuff, the fields near the coach station are some of the least congested anyway so I would just camp near there rather than trying to squeeze in somewhere else.

If you get a coach ticket with See (which you will if you get the coach + ticket package), they actually leave from the O2 arena, so you're better of staying in Greenwich, or somewhere near the O2. Not Victoria, which is where the National Express (separately bought tickets) coaches go from and is a totally different part of London.

London is definitely doable and not too arduous on the coach (although it's definitely more like 4 hours than 3 and usually more on the way back), but I would aim for Bristol if you can. The journey would be so much shorter and easier

• 3 weeks later...