True Detective

Mouseboy11

man i am so excited for this. looks pretty different from the first series (which i guess it had to be) - a move towards the grit of drugs and the underground instead of the gothic weirdness of the first series

was a bit polarised when i heard the likes of Vince Vaughn and Rachel McAdams were gonna be in it, but i've really warmed up to the idea. just hope True Detective doesn't become a platform for failing actors to give their careers a boost (which it definitely seems to have been responsible for with the first series, and what with this group of actors' current careers, could do the same this time round)

man i am so excited for this. looks pretty different from the first series (which i guess it had to be) - a move towards the grit of drugs and the underground instead of the gothic weirdness of the first series

was a bit polarised when i heard the likes of Vince Vaughn and Rachel McAdams were gonna be in it, but i've really warmed up to the idea. just hope True Detective doesn't become a platform for failing actors to give their careers a boost (which it definitely seems to have been responsible for with the first series, and what with this group of actors' current careers, could do the same this time round)

McConaughey was well on his upward swing by the time True Detective was out to be honest, Harrelson has always been a decent actor for me as well. Definitely excited for this, hope it still has some of the occult themes the first season had though.

Edited by Mouseboy11

I'm a bit apprehensive about this, only because it was MM's performances that made the first series for me. I thought he was utterly mesmerizing on screen.

Not a big fan of Vaughan either, has he got the chops for a show like this? It's a big ask to follow.

Will wait with interest for this. Loved the last series, but I have to say I was disappointed in the end...........I felt the ending was pretty weak or at the very least unsatisfying.

The characters and writing was brilliant however and some of the shooting was jaw dropping. Im kinda hoping they can pull it out of the bag with the cinematography again, if possible. It was wonderful in the last series, but it may be difficult to achieve a uniqueness in style with LA as the back drop............but good camera work should be attainable if they have brought back many of the team that worked on the first.

I loved the first five episodes of series 1, but it tailed off after that to the point where I started to feel I'd been tricked into thinking the early episodes were better than they were. It's easy to make people think something is Deep And Important™ when your characters spend the whole time time having Deep And Important™ conversations. McConaughey was a magnificent ham though, and the episode where the past caught up to the present was a stunning hour of TV.

All in all I preferred Fargo to be honest.

Vince Vaughn looks a lot older than I thought he would.

Edit: Oh yeah, I can't wait! I'm going to treat it as a different show though. Hopefully if this is well received (not compared to the first season) then who knows what big name actors future series may rope in.

Didn't know Taylor Kitsch would be in it!

Presumed Rachel McAdams would be playing one of the main characters wives/girl friends (sorry). Looks interesting.

Edited by Couchy

Will wait with interest for this. Loved the last series, but I have to say I was disappointed in the end...........I felt the ending was pretty weak or at the very least unsatisfying.

the ending was awful i thought. incredibly generic and just not the big payoff i was expecting. it bordered on horrendously cheesy what with the underground lair thing and the big bad boogeyman bad guy. everything up until that was fantastic but it seemed like it was gonna lead to something much bigger. hopefully won't make the same mistake this time round

the ending was awful i thought. incredibly generic and just not the big payoff i was expecting. it bordered on horrendously cheesy what with the underground lair thing and the big bad boogeyman bad guy. everything up until that was fantastic but it seemed like it was gonna lead to something much bigger. hopefully won't make the same mistake this time round

Definitely. It was part of a wider problem though, in that the show kept promising it was actually subverting all the tropes of its genre, particularly with regards to the misogyny and reliance on a murdered woman as a narrative device, only to completely fall back on all the old cliches at the end of day.

• 2 months later...

thought i'd resurrect this thread as the new season has JUST. KICKED. OFF.

first three episodes were slow burners with one or two conflicts to spice them up a little, but this fourth episode, whilst still quite slow for the most part, changes the game in a big way at the end. not since Breaking Bad have i been on the edge of my seat that much for an episode of television - definitely think this is this seasons rival to the 'single camera take' of the last season. if i wasn't already sitting down i think i'd have to go sit down after watching that

Haven't watched it since it was on last year but I seem to recall that the first series started off as a slow burner as well (although maybe not as slow as this - the 'four main characters' thing has definitely meant it's taken longer to get properly going imo). Hope the rest of the series can live up to this one, and that it has a more satisfying conclusion than the first series. Half way through this series already!

Yeah, for me it was the stand out performances in the first series, both lead characters were extremely well realised from the outset.  The conclusion was definitely the worst thing about the show.  

3 episodes in and I don't really care about the 4 main characters, although VInce Vaughn is doing a good job in his role. 

Just started season 2, two episodes in I'm really enjoying it. But I agree it's moving a bit slow, however I don't mind since the plot is complicated and there are a lot of characters involved.

IMO both endings of Episode 1 and 2 were superb and wanting you want more, especially of episode 1 which realty closed off the pilot really well with the background music and everything else involved.  

It's totally different from season 1, however there still some of dark elements and camera work of season 1. But there is no "Rust" this season, which stole the show on season 1.

• 3 weeks later...

Last episode next week. It is bubbling up nicely. Pizzolatto really does love to make his audience work. The smallest of insignificant things can become the most significant. Its a pretty unique watch. I just hope that next week goes well as the season 1 finale really did limp closed and gave very little viewer satisfaction.  

aye that most recent episode seemed to finally tie a lot of stuff together that up until then had been puzzling the shit out of me, and imo was the best episode yet by a long stretch. next one sounds like it's gonna go off big time. really looking forward to it - surely can't be any more disappointing than the cookie-cutter ending of the last series. this season obviously hasn't been as good as the last as a whole, but i'm hoping they can make up for it with a killer ending

If this season ends nicely I will put it ahead of last, just, as a whole, even if last season had the better actors, characters, cinematography and best single episode...............

The continuous build of this very complex, convoluted story in which Pizzolatto has purposely been unrevealing, cryptic and elusive, not spoon feeding the audience and making us strain our ears and work our socks off mentally has been an arduous joy IMO